Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Disney should have announced and opened to only hotel guests in the morning as early as needed to accommodate them. Allow them only one ride and once they’ve all ridden send them to another area.
That way the people that booked vacations would be satisfied. Then just make it free for all and allow hotel guests the option again at like 2pm onwards along with everyone else.

How many hotel guests are there at WDW? If they opened at 5/6 what proportion of them could they get through by normal park open?

Disney should have announced and opened to only hotel guests in the morning as early as needed to accommodate them. Allow them only one ride and once they’ve all ridden send them to another area.
That way the people that booked vacations would be satisfied. Then just make it free for all and allow hotel guests the option again at like 2pm onwards along with everyone else.

How many hotel guests are there at WDW? If they opened at 5/6 what proportion of them could they get through by normal park open?
There’s about 35K+ hotel guests. Assuming as little as 1/10 (3500) of those guests go to DHS to try to get on Rise, over the course of 3 hours, they still wouldn’t get through them all before the park actually opens as they would need to do 1100/hour and right now they’re only putting through about 850.

Also remember that 1/10 is an extremely conservative estimate, so there would likely be more people. Overall, I think this would help though.

The screens use a new type of HDR so the blacks are perfectly black, even though the rooms themselves are fairly well lit. This helps to hide any shape or definition of the screen curve, as well as hide the distance of the screen from the viewer. It’s pretty impressive overall.

OLED/QLED technology. Essentially each pixel works individually so to achieve pure black, the pixels that need to black are completely turned off giving it that color compared to other screens that are regular LED/LCD which all the pixels are on all the time because they are consistently backlit as they work together.

Not really a new type of HDR but finally being used in theme park application.

OLED/QLED technology. Essentially each pixel works individually so to achieve pure black, the pixels that need to black are completely turned off giving it that color compared to other screens that are regular LED/LCD which all the pixels are on all the time because they are consistently backlit as they work together.

Not really a new type of HDR but finally being used in theme park application.
Thank you for the details!

The only time I even noticed a squinch effect was pulling into the escape pods, and that’s cause you’re heading directly towards a screen.

On my second ride I tried to figure out screen depth and the gunner room is the closest you get to any windows. As far as I can tell the space projections are set pretty far back, at least in that scene. But the screen curves on the sides and top and bottom. Think of it as a gigantic Hogwarts Express window, with the curved edges to create an endless effect (except the window cutouts here have no window panes of glass).

For the gunner scene it was one giant screen behind all of the several windows, not one per window, and it was set back maybe 10 to 20 feet at its deepest point, which was far enough back that I couldn’t even tell if squishing and squashing effects were even in use.

The screens use a new type of HDR so the blacks are perfectly black, even though the rooms themselves are fairly well lit. This helps to hide any shape or definition of the screen curve, as well as hide the distance of the screen from the viewer. It’s pretty impressive overall.
Very cool ! Thank you for the info. So amazing how they’ve used a bunch of their tricks and combined them so seemlessly.

If the Galactic Starcruiser is half as immersive as this ride, it'll be a massive success - creatively, at least.

Just saw this on Micechat from Westsider. Very interesting if true.

Talked to three different buddies - one an old DLR manager who moved to Orlando to work at World so he and his wife could afford their own place, and two DLR guys who work in Ops and Facilities getting updates from World.

Rise out at World is being its problem child self - it broke down for the Wednesday media event and couldn't reopen, but yesterday they squeaked it out with only five main downtimes that involved evacs. This morning was worse and the ride had been down a bunch of times already when I talked to my buddy at World in early afternoon their time.

But here's the brilliant if devious part. They have double staffed the ride for opening weekend - actually slightly more than double. There is double the crew staffed and in costume so when the ride goes 101 they do not have to use the usual staffing to engage Ride Access Control (RAC) procedures to begin an evac - the moment the ride goes 101 for a single vehicle fault (common) or a full building down (less common but worse) the entire evac crew is pre assigned and waiting and within 2 minutes is deployed via RAC to begin the evac and immediate reset while all the usual CM's remain in their position throughout the ride.

They also doubled up Facilities staffing and have pre assigned response teams standing by in the building at all times.

They are also using execs and managers from across World property to staff the outside of the ride to spiel/PR/handle the Greeter position and extended queue and the various Guest concerns. That's a total Josh move - he's smart and classy like that and a bunch of World management were surprised at Josh's style. Buddy said Josh was outside the entire day on Thursday, and was out there again today keeping the lower execs too scared to leave. Josh is very different from Colglazier at DLR and Kalogridis at World who were both too cool to be seen working alongside lowly Ops CM's. Josh and his execs working the outside frees up even more additional hourly CM's to keep their positions within the attraction and/or staff the waiting evac crew.

This whole staffing strategy has cut downtimes by at least half. RAC is necessary but slows stuff down quite a bit. But this double staffing is not sustainable long term. You can't have an entire second Ops crew sitting around backstage waiting for downtimes to shave time off evacs and resets by 50%, there's just no way you can sustain that labor. Tho for opening weekend I have to admit that strategy is brilliant and has NEVER been done before!!

You can expect this same strategy for Disneyland when Rise opens here. Disneyland's current General Manager of SW:GE who is a highly respected Ops woman plus the awesome VP Kris Theiler are both out at World this week observing and helping with the opening. They are there to take notes and bring those same strategies back to Disneyland. But DLR is even more hampered by DOSH requirements and not straying from the OG - although technically you could write one OG to pass DOSH inspection that says you have a second evac crew always standing by and then when you get thru the opening weekend or week or whatever you roll out the real OG with an official update and go back to normal staffing. That's how you could get away with this in California. In Florida they can basically do whatever they want.

We make fun of them out at World for good reason. But this staffing move and various strategies for opening weekend on operating the ride is damn impressive. Sneaky - but impressive!!!

Just saw this on Micechat from Westsider. Very interesting if true.
There’s like 30-40 CMs working Rise in the greeter position alone, most managers or higher ups. They’re answering questions, directing traffic, scanning MagicBands for boarding from a dozen or more scanners. And that’s just one spot.

There’s also about a dozen Cast Members lining the exit, asking guests what they thought. (And the 5 or so higher-ups/Imagineers hanging out at unload to see guest reactions on opening day.)

I imagine a few of those CMs hanging around are some that would spring into action if there’s a breakdown. I was astonished to see so many CMs working at once, now it makes sense.

And having managers about front is the best move, as no one is more empowered to solve any kind of problem a guest might have.

All brilliant.

I am curious about a couple of things and hopefully someone that has been on this ride can answer.

1. Is there any feeling of airtime during the drop?

2. Is there much waiting between the preshows like in Gringotts, or is this more like Haunted Mansion where once you get to the first preshow, you are pretty much constantly engaged?

I hope that by the time this opens at Disneyland, the major technical issues are fixed and they won't have to use the boarding pass system there.