Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Good to know they’ve spent a decade on it, likely just need the go ahead from the Tolkien estate if I had to guess.

I know we’ve all been over this before, but if any company wants to truly compete with the Mouse in terms of theme parks, having Harry Potter, Nintendo, and LOTR is certainly the way to do it.

Also, TPU is correct sometimes. Not all the time, and I typically hate their writing, but their not constantly misleading people and reporting whatever the f they hear.
TPU is not the first we've heard recently that the project may be back in the mix. I had heard a while back that it wasn't going into EU because of similarly themed projects going there like HTTYD and possibly Zelda. I had not heard the project was dead. As a matter of fact, I had heard just prior to Universal buying the new park land from Locheed that they had inked a deal. So I was surprised when I found out it wasn't going into EU.

When I first heard over a decade ago that Universal wanted the IP, Toon Lagoon was the rumored location.

TPU is not the first we've heard recently that the project may be back in the mix. I had heard a while back that it wasn't going into EU because of similarly themed projects going there like HTTYD and possibly Zelda. I had not heard the project was dead. As a matter of fact, I had heard just prior to Universal buying the new park land from Locheed that they had inked a deal. So I was surprised when I found out it wasn't going into EU.

When I first heard that Universal wanted the IP, Toon Lagoon was the rumored location.
May not remember you specially saying it but I remember the possibility of Toon Lagoon closing for some LOTR/Hobbit themed stuff. With the budgets they seem to have now, can’t blame them that the project is back on the table.
They must feel they have enough of a hit at EU for a sell with SNW and another Wizarding World, even though this time it’s Fantastic Beasts. Gotta spread out your properties if you can. I know this specifically is a strict rumor and very well may not happen, but can’t help but fear for USF as I don’t think there are any major rumored projects going on. But of course, who truly knows.

When I first heard over a decade ago that Universal wanted the IP, Toon Lagoon was the rumored location.

Didn’t @Alicia mention a lack of permits and information for HTTYD recently?

To throw a wild idea out there, maybe the lack of any real announcements regarding the park is because HTTYD was plan B and Universal used older concept art.

Chris Tolkien is no longer involved with the estate. If he was Amazon's series would never have gotten off the ground. He's been out of the business end for a few years now.
Oooh, that does change things, doesn't it. This could be interesting.

Reactions: tankart150
If this actually happens, I hope they do it more like Potter and less like SW:GE in that there set no definitive time period. That way they can have elements from The Hobbit AND LotR.

I'm pretty sure that Universal won't decide to create an entirely new Middle Earth location and stick it in the timeframe of the Amazon TV Series. :grin:

Didn’t @Alicia mention a lack of permits and information for HTTYD recently?

To throw a wild idea out there, maybe the lack of any real announcements regarding the park is because HTTYD was plan B and Universal used older concept art.
Here for this speculation. Also I think could be plausible they wanted LOTR but could not settle on a concept/get approval. Hence why the HTTYD concept art is lacking cause it’s old or quickly put together. It is far far less detailed and colored than anything else in the concept art so this isn’t too wild to me.

OR, to get even more wild, the lack of HTTYD in the concept art and in permits and prep is because they’ve switched over to LOTR and it’s the biggest kept secret in the industry right now? Just let me dream... interesting stuff though.

Reactions: tankart150
If this actually happens, I hope they do it more like Potter and less like SW:GE in that there set no definitive time period. That way they can have elements from The Hobbit AND LotR.

I'm pretty sure that Universal won't decide to create an entirely new Middle Earth location and stick it in the timeframe of the Amazon TV Series. :grin:

If they do i imagine they’ll work with WB and Jackson again on it and not Amazon.

If they do i imagine they’ll work with WB and Jackson again on it and not Amazon.
Jackson is working with Amazon in a limited capacity. And Weta is doing the CGI for the series. But yes, I would imagine Jackson would most likely be more involved with a Universal project.

Middle Earth in IOA would put IOA at the top of the list of great theme parks.

If I remember right, When Kong was being made, Universal working with Jackson was their way of luring him into a good relationship for one day hopefully being able to do LOTR.

Kong on both coasts.

Now would be a good time for Universal to reopen negotiations with CBS for Star Trek. That way they would pretty much have a lock on the Geek Demo. Might as well move Comic-Con to Orlando.

Problem is I think JJ walked away from them on that project. Now with him out of the way they’ll have to find a new creative lead to work with.

Kong on both coasts.

Problem is I think JJ walked away from them on that project. Now with him out of the way they’ll have to find a new creative lead to work with.
That is one reason I think Universal would have a better shot at getting the IP. During the last negotiations, ST was on an upward trajectory. Now the IP is basically treading water.

Star Trek changes casts and storylines faster than Dr. Who at this point. Good luck pinning down an aesthetic for a theme park attraction.
The Starship Enterprise is iconic. It would be...dare I say it...EPIC!

Some people here would have a better opinion on this than I do, but realistically how much room is there in all of Toon Lagoon for a possible LOTR land? Between Dudley’s, Toon Lagoon Theatre, and Popeyes, does that give us enough room for 2 potential E tickets? That’d be really exciting if true. Not sure what % of land all those take up compared to a hypothetical show building or 2

Some people here would have a better opinion on this than I do, but realistically how much room is there in all of Toon Lagoon for a possible LOTR land? Between Dudley’s, Toon Lagoon Theatre, and Popeyes, does that give us enough room for 2 potential E tickets? That’d be really exciting if true. Not sure what % of land all those take up compared to a hypothetical show building or 2

Yeah, Toon Lagoon is giant. There's enough room for three.