Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 225 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just anecdotal, but a good example, nonetheless of what's really happening. My local USPS postmaster returned today from her two week vacation at Ocean City, New Jersey. She goes there every year with her family. She
said it was as crowded as in normal years. She said none of the people wore masks on the crowded beach. And it was just 50/50, at best, people wearing masks on the boardwalk. And this is New Jersey which is supposed to be one
of the heavier mask wearing states. Reality, unfortunately. .....And, a good article in the Trib Live site today on what we've often discussed, namely what people say in surveys on safety isn't necessarily what they practice.
"Poll shows Pennsylvanians think it's important to follow covid safety guidelines. But are they actually doing it." Dr. Amesh Adalja, a Pittsburgh based infectious disease and critical care physician and senior scholar at the
John Hopkins Center for Health Security: "
I think it's one thing what people report in a survey, and what they actually do. We know with polling sometimes people will sort of want to give what they believe might be the preferred
answer. If people were truly following the safety guidelines, the county wouldn't be seeing such spikes in covid 19 cases". He goes on to say that the polls are often skewed, since, like the one in the article, they're directed at
registered or likely voters that are much older than the regular population, and because of the health threat are more likely to be safety conscious than a younger demographic...........................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Me:.....Just looking at what's happening throughout
the country, it appears that theme parks and amusement parks are being held to a much higher safety standard than other tourist destinations (beach resorts, state/federal parks) that aren't having much of a problem attracting tourists.
Thus they are at a significant disadvantage to those tourist destinations.

Last edited:
Just anecdotal, but a good example, nonetheless of what's really happening. My local USPS postmaster returned today from her two week vacation at Ocean City, New Jersey. She goes there every year with her family. She
said it was as crowded as in normal years. She said none of the people wore masks on the crowded beach. And it was just 50/50, at best, people wearing masks on the boardwalk. And this is New Jersey which is supposed to be one
of the heavier mask wearing states. Reality, unfortunately. .....And, a good article in the Trib Live site today on what we've often discussed, namely what people say in surveys on safety isn't necessarily what they practice.
"Poll shows Pennsylvanians think it's important to follow covid safety guidelines. But are they actually doing it." Dr. Amesh Adalja, a Pittsburgh based infectious disease and critical care physician and senior scholar at the
John Hopkins Center for Health Security: "
I think it's one thing what people report in a survey, and what they actually do. We know with polling sometimes people will sort of want to give what they believe might be the preferred
answer. If people were truly following the safety guidelines, the county wouldn't be seeing such spikes in covid 19 cases". He goes on to say that the polls are often skewed, since, like the one in the article, they're directed at
registered or likely voters that are much older than the regular population, and because of the health threat are more likely to be safety conscious than a younger demographic...........................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Me:.....Just looking at what's happening throughout
the country, it appears that theme parks and amusement parks are being held to a much higher safety standard than other tourist destinations (beach resorts, state/federal parks) that aren't having much of a problem attracting tourists.
Thus they are at a significant disadvantage to those tourist destinations.
But what should we take from this, even anecdotally?

Reactions: n i c k
That people may say they think everyone one should wear masks when out in public (as the surveys suggest), but many, if not most, aren't doing that in their real lives, even in mask compliance states like NJ.....And on the beach crowds, the tourism groups are reporting that most east coast beaches are at, or above, 2019 tourism levels.

Reactions: lowbudget
That when people go on vacation, they turn their brain off.

Also that surveys are, more often than not, inaccurate due to multiple psychological reasons, not to mention the often small and skewed sample size. Something I've been saying since this pandemic began and various media outlets began preaching survey results as the truth.

That people may say they think everyone one should wear masks when out in public (as the surveys suggest), but many, if not most, aren't doing that in their real lives, even in mask compliance states like NJ.....And on the beach crowds, the tourism groups are reporting that most east coast beaches are at, or above, 2019 tourism levels.
My personal 2020 numbers are better than 2019, and I know at least one other property owner with the same results. I'd wager that total tourist dollars for my area are right on par with 2019. With recent reports out of members here that the NE is also seeing a resurgence in tourism I hope that it bodes well for local business owners up and down the coast. I also hope it shows a willingness to travel and that the parks will see a resurgence once some of the travel complications are eased.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Also that surveys are, more often than not, inaccurate due to multiple psychological reasons, not to mention the often small and skewed sample size. Something I've been saying since this pandemic began and various media outlets began preaching survey results as the truth.

My personal 2020 numbers are better than 2019, and I know at least one other property owner with the same results. I'd wager that total tourist dollars for my area are right on par with 2019. With recent reports out of members here that the NE is also seeing a resurgence in tourism I hope that it bodes well for local business owners up and down the coast. I also hope it shows a willingness to travel and that the parks will see a resurgence once some of the travel complications are eased.
The Pittsburgh area airports have been reporting that fights to your Myrtle Beach resort destination have been completely filled consistently. Florida beach resorts also. That's been the two top out of state tourist destinations even with the heavy CV cases. But they're not going to Orlando.

Last edited:

And then we wonder why we're leading the world in Covid.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
After being closed for 6 months theaters in the Netherlands are opening on September 2. Due to the measures they have to take, a show like Soldier of Orange, will only have 1/3 capacity but it's enough to start.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe

NBCUniversal is beginning layoffs as it carries out a planned restructuring designed to emphasize its streaming operations.

CEO Jeff Shell confirmed the overhaul was coming last week during Comcast’s second-quarter earnings call, but he didn’t mention any specifics or timeline. A person close to the company confirmed to Deadline that the cuts were under way. Telemundo and the theme-park unit have been the most directly affected Tuesday, insiders indicated, though other divisions are due to be affected.

. . .

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday the cutbacks would likely be held to less than 10% of the company’s 35,000 employees. Sources indicated to Deadline that the Journal number was a bit aggressive.

Also, Cinemark does not see the box office returning to normal until 2022 Cinemark Has $525M In Cash, Sees 2021 As “Transition Year” With “Normalized” Box Office In 2022

Also, Cinemark does not see the box office returning to normal until 2022 Cinemark Has $525M In Cash, Sees 2021 As “Transition Year” With “Normalized” Box Office In 2022
2021 will be an interesting year for box office as thee's going to be a crazy amount of movies to run through next year and if we can get a widely available vaccine out at the beginning of the year (just spitballing), it'll still probably take until later in the year until all masks are off and things are back to "normal" as it will take a loooong time to vaccinate everyone in the US, never mind the world.

Like, even if you've been vaccinated, you'll likely have to wear a mask in certain places like stores, theme parks, restaurants, etc for quite awhile until the CDC gives confirmation that here in the US we've reached what should be considered herd immunity from COVID. So next year will likely be a transition year for all of us.

2021 will be an interesting year for box office as thee's going to be a crazy amount of movies to run through next year and if we can get a widely available vaccine out at the beginning of the year (just spitballing), it'll still probably take until later in the year until all masks are off and things are back to "normal" as it will take a loooong time to vaccinate everyone in the US, never mind the world.

Like, even if you've been vaccinated, you'll likely have to wear a mask in certain places like stores, theme parks, restaurants, etc for quite awhile until the CDC gives confirmation that here in the US we've reached what should be considered herd immunity from COVID. So next year will likely be a transition year for all of us.

I'm not quite so optimistic. Vaccine might be approved by early 2021, but It could only have a slightly better than 50% efficacy, regular folks probably won't even have it available to them until end of 2021 (as high risk or high exposure people will get it first) and then there's the number of people who will refuse to take it (which polls show it's as high as 30% of people who won't even take it right away).

If I had to wager, won't be until at least some time in 2022 until things will be back to some form of "normal".

Status
Not open for further replies.