California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People saying the we should listen to Health Experts dr fauci just had an interview on 60 mins and asked if rates get worst int he winter will they move to shut down again and he said they don't want to do that and its more of a last resort and thats not just him but the CDC.

So if experts are not saying we should shut things down, I don't get how you can defend the move. When did we lose personal responsible. If you want to go to the parks with masks and 6 feet apart enjoy and if you don't think its worth the risk then don't go.

I also want to point out Knotts is open for events that sell out and we aren't see them as super spreader events and this park is small and pathways are just as big at Disneyland.

Yes Disneyland would have to figure out Q's for some rides but they have an app to help with rides like Pan, Roger and Star Tours.

Last edited:
People saying the we should listen to Health Experts dr fauci just had an interview on 60 mins and asked if rates get worst int he winter will they move to shut down again and he said they don't want to do that and its more of a last resort and thats not just him but the CDC.

So if experts are not saying we should shut things down, I don't get how you can defend the move. When did we lose personal responsible. If you want to go to the parks with masks and 6 feet apart enjoy and if you don't think its worth the risk then don't go.

I also want to point out Knotts is open for events that sell out and we aren't see them as super spreader events and this park is small and pathways are just as big at Disneyland.

Yes Disneyland would have to figure out Q's for some rides but they have an app to help with rides like Pan, Roger and Star Tours.

Knott’s isn’t operating any rides and it’s only food and dining with a limited capacity. Disney and Universal have had this option available to them as well, but have chosen not to hold special events.

I appreciate California sending health officials to Orlando to analyze their reopening. If they went and were like, “Yeah, no this is sketch” then I’m okay waiting. As pointed out so. many. times....CA parks are smaller and are surrounded by a dense population.

Knott’s isn’t operating any rides and it’s only food and dining with a limited capacity. Disney and Universal have had this option available to them as well, but have chosen not to hold special events.

I'm sort of surprised that Disney/Universal haven't started this to at least some extent already. They already have to upkeep the grounds and keep their certs up to date anyway, it's just sunk cost to not try and recoup SOMETHING. You could even set up a few small photo op stages and up-sell it as an instagram F&W-esque event or something and you'd at least be losing less money.

I'm sort of surprised that Disney/Universal haven't started this to at least some extent already. They already have to upkeep the grounds and keep their certs up to date anyway, it's just sunk cost to not try and recoup SOMETHING. You could even set up a few small photo op stages and up-sell it as an instagram F&W-esque event or something and you'd at least be losing less money.

Especially with SoCal’s overzealous fanbase, Disney would make a killing. If people are willing to pick up overpriced concessions from El Capitan theater, they’re absolutely game to pay a pretty penny to sit in Mainstreet and eat a churro.

This reminds me of the classic Peanuts cartoon, where Lucy is holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick, and she pulls it away at the last moment.....multiple times..............
Like, we just knew this was going to happen this way....again. The Cal government has been consistent with their theme park philosophy, namely they'll do anything to keep them closed. Thinking
otherwise was just living in Fantasy Land. The safety trip to Florida was obviously just a front to make the probably pre determined decision look fair. Disney can sue, that's their only alternative to
staying shut down, and that might not work either.

This reminds me of the classic Peanuts cartoon, where Lucy is holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick, and she pulls it away at the last moment.....multiple times..............
Like, we just knew this was going to happen this way....again. The Cal government has been consistent with their theme park philosophy, namely they'll do anything to keep them closed. Thinking
otherwise was just living in Fantasy Land. The safety trip to Florida was obviously just a front to make the probably pre determined decision look fair. Disney can sue, that's their only alternative to
staying shut down, and that might not work either.

Disney is also choosing to stay shut down and not hold special events. They’re allowed to hold events similar to Knott’s, but are choosing (K)not(t) to.

Disney is also choosing to stay shut down and not hold special events. They’re allowed to hold events similar to Knott’s, but are choosing (K)not(t) to.
True. But they are using Downtown Disney and doing quite well there. Food in the parks with no attractions wouldn't be all that much different and just an added cost.

True. But they are using Downtown Disney and doing quite well there. Food in the parks with no attractions wouldn't be all that much different and just an added cost.
I mean, no. You’d be charging people to get in the gate and charging them normal inflated theme park food prices. And knowing the SoCal audience they’d be making a killing

Right, but it’s also added revenue. Knotts has shown it can be done well and their events have been quite popular in SoCal. Disney and Universal would make a killing doing something similar.

Reactions: joerodriguez
Isn’t one of the reasons Disneyland did not run any in park events like Knott’s because they didn’t have an agreement with the unions until recently? I believe now that all agreements are in place, they could theoretically run some events now.

I’m under the impression that Uni is gearing up to do something with Food, Bev, and Merch on the Upper Lot.

If anything happened at DLR, I’d assume it would just be DCA. It would be easy enough to just have the main stretch open (Buena Vista St then follow the parade route down to ~Mermaid) and have plenty of nearby restaurants (Carthay, Pacific Wharf, Taste Pilots, Radiator Springs, Lamplight) and room for kiosks to pull something off.

I've cleaned up the thread now.

@RevFreako, as @Nick said, Mad Dog's post wasn't as political as you claimed it to be. It's also not your place to dictate what the mods feel what posts are political or not. Just report it and we'll handle it as we see fit. With this decision coming from the government, we expect some toes to be dipped into that convo. What we're avoiding is full-on submersion.

In addition, every time there has been an issue as of late - it's you that seems to get involved in some way, so we're asking now..... enough. I'm trying not to ban anyone, but we're coming close.

I would normally make this convo private, however, we've been receiving a lot of reports on your posts so I felt we need the others to see we're trying to be fair and reasonable.

Last edited:
Isn’t one of the reasons Disneyland did not run any in park events like Knott’s because they didn’t have an agreement with the unions until recently? I believe now that all agreements are in place, they could theoretically run some events now.

I heard the same multiple times on twitter... unions were not on board at the time. There seems to have been an agreement with unions, though the specifics of it are not known to me. But I'd imagine they'd get a large audience even just for a food event.

Personally, even as a person who is very Covid conscious, I feel an orange tier with modifications would have been acceptable. But can't do much about it now.

What also strikes me a bit odd is they want to wait until yellow tier (the lowest possible), they still have to limit at 25% capacity. Which, unless I missed something, implies that they'll never be able to go past that ever? Are they locked into that in perpetuity?

Reactions: Clive
I feel like there's still excess demand being unmet though. Many more people would love to just eat in the Paradise Pier or New Orleans environment rather than New Orleans. You wouldn't just be paying for the food, but also the chance to be within the park environment.

EDIT: As a side note, if Disney did decide to do some kind of limited food event, would they be able to open the Monorail, since it's technically a transportation service and not a ride?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideguy70
I've cleaned up the thread now.

@RevFreako, as @Nick said, Mad Dog's post wasn't as political as you claimed it to be. It's also not your place to dictate what the mods feel what posts are political or not. Just report it and we'll handle it as we see fit. With this decision coming from the government, we expect some toes to be dipped into that convo. What we're avoiding is full-on submersion.

In addition, every time there has been an issue as of late - it's you that seems to get involved in some way, so we're asking now..... enough. I'm trying not to ban anyone, but we're coming close.

I would normally make this convo private, however, we've been receiving a lot of reports on your posts so I felt we need the others to see we're trying to be fair and reasonable.
Fair enough. As I mentioned, I strongly disagree with the idea that insinuating that the guidelines are somehow rigged for a predetermined goal, or expressing surprise that California doesn't become its own country aren't political posts, but this is your forum to maintain as you see fit. I'll just see myself out of the COVID threads for the most part.

Reactions: Tristan

Hope they open up lots of seating in the Plaza, Super Silly Fun Land, Hogsmeade, maybe even Waterworld, wherever they can. USH is probably the major park least capable of social distancing. I'm glad their doing it and it can obviously be done, I just hope this is a thought out operation.

EDIT: Also Hogsmeade and Springfield will have to be open otherwise I doubt this will have broad appeal.

Reactions: Rideguy70
I still maintain that Disney could do multiple interesting events. From food crawls, to shopping and dining. To limited, seated, outdoor, coursed menus in unique areas of the parks:

- dinner along the banks of the ROA
- dinner surrounding the castle
- dinner throughout NOS.

Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.