California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the experts say we're about to go through the worst 6-12 weeks of the pandemic now that we're getting into fall and flu season is starting. We're already seeing an uptick nationwide and new hot spot states. It's very smart for the most populous state with the most populous city to proceed with caution. Large urban areas have the fastest rate of spread and are the hardest to contain once a virus spreads.

I will remind everyone if we would have all stayed another month or two under strict quarantine and used that time to implement containment strategies our rates would be very manageable now and no where near the amount of people would die.

The government should be doing everything they can to keep people and businesses a float but they are not.

We could have contained this months ago and the only inconvenience would be masks in public right now and all businesses could have reopened. But we didn't. We rushed everything open against experts recommendations. And the virus is about to make a resurgence.

How many people die everyday from car accidents? Falls? Heart attacks? Cancer? Other diseases? Y’all realize more things out there can kill you besides Covid, right?

This approach isn’t sustainable.
Please stop using deaths like this as an example. Saying we only have had 6,000 deaths is saying we only had 6,000 preventable deaths. And yes other things can kill you, so let's not add another one to the mix.

How many people die everyday from car accidents? Falls? Heart attacks? Cancer? Other diseases? Y’all realize more things out there can kill you besides Covid, right?

This approach isn’t sustainable.
The last ten years, car fatalities in the US have averaged around 35,000 a year.
Fall-related INJURIES are around 50,000 a year.

So, cute bringing them up, but COVID is a FAR more deadly factor.

And, while heart disease and cancer are both larger causes of death, they’re also catch-all terms that relate to numerous specific conditions (the deadliest single cancer—lung—killed 159,000 in 2014). COVID is a single, contagious, thing.

Deaths aren’t the only part of this story. I know of people that have been sick for months. Young people have reported lasting, lingering health problems. At my age I’m concerned about health problems and complications from Covid that could last months, years, or forever, more than I am worried about dying from it. There’s more behind this virus than just the number of lives lost, which are of course, always awful.

Sorry, felt I had to say something, back to effects on theme park industry.

I'm in education, and kids going back to school in person is just as a contentious issue. But one of the unions put it pretty succinctly... they asked (paraphrased here), "What is an acceptable numbers of deaths that can occur if schools reopen?"

Yeah, I get it, people can die from all sorts of things. What makes this different is: 1) it's highly, highly contagious and can be easily passed to lots of people, and 2) it's essentially preventable with simple guidelines.

A certain person from another website that shall remain nameless said that the death rate in CA is 0.043%, which is practically zero; ergo, just open the parks. But considering that CA has a population of 39.51 million, if you do the math, that's 17,000 people who have died needlessly. Is that really acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed Newsom went with the Yellow tier as well. Personally, I feel Orange Tier and park modifications/caps would have been sufficient. But CA is about 12% of the entire population of the United States (based on 39.5 million in CA and 328.2 million for the USA). With so many people in one state, and a potential for things to spread out of control rapidly, it's smart to stay cautious. My heart continuous to go out to all those who are out of work in the industry, but the risk of so many other unecessary deaths and possible lifelong health risks (as Alicia noted) shouldn't be taken lightly.

While I agree with the people saying we could see long term effects to the virus, it comes down to choice still.

You CANNOT make people wear a seat belt but we let you drive anyway.

I've said this before and so have others we do riskier things than Covid daily, and if the CA was like "guys we can't let them open until late winter" fine we can have that discussion but what the terms are right now the parks aren't opening until late summer unless someone makes a cure tomorrow and can magically send them out to all doctors its going to take months and months to finish up trials, do bigger tests on the public then CA wants to test before giving it out to people...so we are easily 9+ months from Disneyland allowed to be at 25% and thats the issue.

While I agree with the people saying we could see long term effects to the virus, it comes down to choice still.

You CANNOT make people wear a seat belt but we let you drive anyway.

I've said this before and so have others we do riskier things than Covid daily, and if the CA was like "guys we can't let them open until late winter" fine we can have that discussion but what the terms are right now the parks aren't opening until late summer unless someone makes a cure tomorrow and can magically send them out to all doctors its going to take months and months to finish up trials, do bigger tests on the public then CA wants to test before giving it out to people...so we are easily 9+ months from Disneyland allowed to be at 25% and thats the issue.
I think Disneyland can open. They have some of the best safety measures available. I just think discussions that focus only on deaths going down miss part of the story. I’m of the mindset that the world can go on if done smartly, and we should do what we can to open as safely as possible—but I’m also cautious and fear this virus, as it can affect everyone differently. Don’t want y’all to think I’m against CA parks opening. That’s not the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed Newsom went with the Yellow tier as well. Personally, I feel Orange Tier and park modifications/caps would have been sufficient. But CA is about 12% of the entire population of the United States (based on 39.5 million in CA and 328.2 million for the USA). With so many people in one state, and a potential for things to spread out of control rapidly, it's smart to stay cautious. My heart continuous to go out to all those who are out of work in the industry, but the risk of so many other unecessary deaths and possible lifelong health risks (as Alicia noted) shouldn't be taken lightly.

The issue is how theme parks are classified in this system; I think a lot of people are in agreement, or understanding of, CA going with a risk-averse strategy. If the governor is saying "minimize any additional fatalities/hospitalizations at all cost", that's one thing. It's less clear how Disneyland/USH are only acceptable to open in the lowest yellow tier, 25% capacity at that, while museums/zoos/aquariums are able to open outdoors with modifications in the highest purple tier, and 25% indoors in the 3rd highest red tier. Is there really anything out there that demonstrates that amusement parks are that much riskier than zoos and aquariums? Even movie theaters, which seem to tick all the 'boxes of risk' for virus transmission (sequestered indoors, long periods of exposure), are good go to indoors with 25% at red / 50% at orange.

I'm sorry, these comparisons are absurd and I don't know how we keep having to discuss them over and over again. The seatbelt only affects you. COVID is highly contagious. It's a choice that can affect many people other than just yourself.
Your right driving too fast and not wearing a seat belt can't affect anyone around you. If a dad dies without a seat belt on nothing happens.

I get people here want to be safe, I do to. So what do you do? You wear masks and have people 6 feet apart. You have plastic between you and others when you can.

The unions agreed to work, meaning the people going back to work agree to the risks. I going to the parks also see the risks and should not get anything if i follow the rules.

Some of you act like its common to get COVID outside with a mask on, its not. All Qing would be outside, yes you might have to wait up to a minute inside to load a vehicle but once again if you are distancing from others the chances are low you will get it for standing there a minute inside.
If you are worried about staff, they should be tested everyday they come in.

If the Government was like you are shut down but here is money to pay the staff then I would be like cool, shut down but they aren't the people shutting down don't have the "responsibly" to but doesn't mean you can't make exceptions.
My two cents are if you can't support the people your making poor and or homeless then employers who follow the rules should be able to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.