California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is how theme parks are classified in this system; I think a lot of people are in agreement, or understanding of, CA going with a risk-averse strategy. If the governor is saying "minimize any additional fatalities/hospitalizations at all cost", that's one thing. It's less clear how Disneyland/USH are only acceptable to open in the lowest yellow tier, 25% capacity at that, while museums/zoos/aquariums are able to open outdoors with modifications in the highest purple tier, and 25% indoors in the 3rd highest red tier. Is there really anything out there that demonstrates that amusement parks are that much riskier than zoos and aquariums? Even movie theaters, which seem to tick all the 'boxes of risk' for virus transmission (sequestered indoors, long periods of exposure), are good go to indoors with 25% at red / 50% at orange.
Because an aquarium, at 25%, is maybe a couple hundred people.

Disneyland, at 25%, is 20,000.

Because an aquarium, at 25%, is maybe a couple hundred people.

Disneyland, at 25%, is 20,000.

Density matters, but to provide an example, the San Diego Zoo did 4 million in attendance in 2018, which equates to about ~11K a day, or 2.7K a day at 25% capacity. USH did 9.1 million (per AECOM, which at least directionally works for this), which would equate to 6.2K a day at 25% capacity. 2.7K people amongst 99 acres, or 6.2K people amongst 400 acres, I just don't see how one is so substantially worse than the other as to require a different tier of government acceptability.

The outbreak in central Florida did not occur after the parks opened, it occurred when bars were opened and it spread like wildfire especially around the UCF area. Unless there's a study that has been done, none of us really know for sure, but certainly if the theme parks opening had a substantially higher risk in coronavirus transmission than other activities that are permitted, we would have seen a strong correlation in case increases after UO/SeaWorld opened, and that did not appear to be the case in the ~2-3 weeks following.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, these comparisons are absurd and I don't know how we keep having to discuss them over and over again. The seatbelt only affects you. COVID is highly contagious. It's a choice that can affect many people other than just yourself.
Also the government can make you wear a seatbelt considering it will pull you over and give you a fine if you don’t

Also the government can make you wear a seatbelt considering it will pull you over and give you a fine if you don’t
They can give you a fine, then after they drive away you can take it off.

Disney can see you not have a mask on ask you to put it back on and if it seems like a repeat offense kick you out. Seems like most people comply with the rules, the social distancing is where they need to crack down more and honestly think in the CA parks you can make this work with one way walkways

I also have to ask, are people really worried about the rides?

Because if the issue is how many people in the parks, I'm pretty sure if Knotts food events sell out Disney's will as well. DTD on Weekends are insane
So if the same amount of people are coming for food events...whats the difference really if Q's are outside/fromt he App?

If you think people wont still drive to Disneyland for food events your insane, people are bored and will for sure come into town for it, so at that point all your really doing is making it where Disny can open but less people will be working because they somethings wont be open and no need to have all CMs.

I also have to ask, are people really worried about the rides?

Because if the issue is how many people in the parks, I'm pretty sure if Knotts food events sell out Disney's will as well. DTD on Weekends are insane
So if the same amount of people are coming for food events...whats the difference really if Q's are outside/fromt he App?

If you think people wont still drive to Disneyland for food events your insane, people are bored and will for sure come into town for it, so at that point all your really doing is making it where Disny can open but less people will be working because they somethings wont be open and no need to have all CMs.
That could also be a part of the problem.

Under normal operations, a significant amount of the capacity of a park is usually tied up into a theater or queue for a ride.

I wonder if we looked at the capacity of pure outside space and restaurants only, how much capacity is actually available? And then from that, you take the percentage that the government is willing to allow, what could be the theoretical number of people who can visit.

At that point it becomes such a fuzzy number that can be adjusted depending on the aim, so I can see the hesitation to get so granular.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevFreako
looks like some of you get your wish.

Only select locations to start, so at least it’s a proof of concept to hopefully lead to more

That could also be a part of the problem.

Under normal operations, a significant amount of the capacity of a park is usually tied up into a theater or queue for a ride.

I wonder if we looked at the capacity of pure outside space and restaurants only, how much capacity is actually available? And then from that, you take the percentage that the government is willing to allow, what could be the theoretical number of people who can visit.

At that point it becomes such a fuzzy number that can be adjusted depending on the aim, so I can see the hesitation to get so granular.
I mean they will get around 25% either way. So still over thousand guests

They just pull a knotts and add tables everywhere. Still going to be massive amount of people so thats why im asking what really is the difference?

Also can't Disney just require you to Contract Trace like you must have "X" app to get in and show your registered for people that want contract tracing.

Only select locations to start, so at least it’s a proof of concept to hopefully lead to more
I'm sure I'm just "bringing down hopeful people" or something, but this reads to me more as something that can easily be stopped when it becomes a COVID hotspot.

looks like some of you get your wish.

Good for them trying this....I for sure am going to go with friends. I except lines to be insane and the parking lot to be filled every weekend that this is open and beyond

I’m under the impression that Uni is gearing up to do something with Food, Bev, and Merch on the Upper Lot.

If anything happened at DLR, I’d assume it would just be DCA. It would be easy enough to just have the main stretch open (Buena Vista St then follow the parade route down to ~Mermaid) and have plenty of nearby restaurants (Carthay, Pacific Wharf, Taste Pilots, Radiator Springs, Lamplight) and room for kiosks to pull something off.
I’ll take mostly right.

• Sad
Reactions: Tristan
Yeah, I can already see them expanding this thing to a new land in a couple of weeks. This is just baseless speculation, but it's the most likely outcome.
Edit: Disneyland is laying off more food workers according to Layoff Notices Going Out to Disneyland Resort Cast Members Today - WDW News Today. Disgusting that the execs still get paid.
I agree they should not be getting paid as much. But besides the fact these people were part of the 28,000 what do you except Disney to do?

They want to open and keep jobs but they can't here meaning people are going to get fired that is the sad truth and why I want the parks to reopen and glad this is happening to keep more staff from being let go. People want to support staffers but are limited in how they can help

Nah I thought it was more layoffs coming which would be ironic, seeing as they're expanding their food options right now. This will definitely help people.

I agree they should not be getting paid as much. But besides the fact these people were part of the 28,000 what do you except Disney to do?

They want to open and keep jobs but they can't here meaning people are going to get fired that is the sad truth and why I want the parks to reopen and glad this is happening to keep more staff from being let go. People want to support staffers but are limited in how they can help

Reopening doesn’t give CMs their jobs back. It’ll employ some, but many are going to be let go regardless of whether they’re open or not.

DCA opening shops will be interested. I’m guessing this will turn into a s-show since it’s the closest thing to the parks being reopened for their fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.