California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reopening doesn’t give CMs their jobs back. It’ll employ some, but many are going to be let go regardless of whether they’re open or not.

DCA opening shops will be interested. I’m guessing this will turn into a s-show since it’s the closest thing to the parks being reopened for their fanbase.
It for sure keeps more from getting fired.

The more they can open the more people can return to work but if disney really didn't open more until late spring/summer next year more layoffs were coming, heck even this could still end up seeing more getting let go but less than if DTD was the only thing open.

Prediction this is going to be HUGE and its going to be hours before you can get in until early next year and even then they can just open more lands to draw people back. Getting into DCA/Disneyland free while we have nothing to do is going to be such a hotspot for people to want to hang out.

On Tuesday, Newsom vowed not to be pressured. “We, as a state, are going to be driven by data and science and we are going to be driven by public health first,” he said.

“When you see double digit increases in the vast number of states,” Newsom said, “when you see hospitalization rates increase all across this country, when you see the weather start to turn, wand more and more people coming back inside and mixing…”

“Respectfully,” continued Newsom, again referring to but not naming Disneyland, “deep respect, because I understand as someone with 4 young kids the reverential identity they have with one particular brand that you are identifying, and their desire to be entertained.

“The bottom line is we are seeing an increase in the transmission traded of COVID-19 [in] vast majority of states in this nation,” observed Newsom. “That should be alarming to all Americans. We are seeing an increase in case rates all over the world.

On Tuesday, Newsom vowed not to be pressured. “We, as a state, are going to be driven by data and science and we are going to be driven by public health first,” he said.

“When you see double digit increases in the vast number of states,” Newsom said, “when you see hospitalization rates increase all across this country, when you see the weather start to turn, wand more and more people coming back inside and mixing…”

“Respectfully,” continued Newsom, again referring to but not naming Disneyland, “deep respect, because I understand as someone with 4 young kids the reverential identity they have with one particular brand that you are identifying, and their desire to be entertained.

“The bottom line is we are seeing an increase in the transmission traded of COVID-19 [in] vast majority of states in this nation,” observed Newsom. “That should be alarming to all Americans. We are seeing an increase in case rates all over the world.

Vague on specifics again, particularly this passage:

“You bring up one theme park. California has dozens and dozens of theme parks,” he said. “You bring up one particular operator of a theme park that does things very very differently than other operators. You have theme parks that are really cities, that operate hotels and restaurant facilities, not just organize around carousels and other amenities. You see others that are out on beaches and boardwalks that are very very different.”

SeaWorld San Diego is open at 1/3rd capacity, with BBQ & Brews and Spooktacular running, along with the stadium shows, so they've clearly determined that rides and coasters are the main risk factors setting the parks apart, which who am I to argue with that, but this certainly seems like a durable change and we'll see some interesting 'modified' openings in the medium-term.

I want him to release the Data showing rides pass the virus.

If in a few months we have 1/3 people entering the parks but no rides...I don't see why that is ok? So someone can drive in go into Main street eat but the rides are where you will get sick if Q's are outside and vehicles are wiped down?
I want to point out other disney parks seem to be doing fine...so i guess only people coming to Disneyland are somehow contagious enough to pass it

Reactions: Bulldog45 and Freak
Maybe but if he has Data then show it. I just hate when people say we are following Science but don't link or tell you where the data is from. If it was solid then he should be sending it to every AP
Yep, get used to it.

Ironically, Covid cases are still on the uptick in California regardless.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
[Yep, get used to it. Ironically, Covid cases are still on the uptick in California regardless]
-Wouldn't let me quote @shiekra38

Yeah, but my dude we do have 19 million more people than Florida. No matter how shut down we are there are cases. I think our leadership is doing the right thing, even though they have tough calls to make this season. Just remember to wear a mask and stay safe these holidays.

Edit: I found this kinda funny for my post

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 4.25.12 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying open up now. If cases rise, we'll continue to stay in purple or red tier. The unions have changed their stance and now feel safe to go back to work. I think a fair compromise is to allow large theme parks to reopen once in the orange tier at 25% capacity, outdoor dining only and only allow visitors from either within 120 miles or zip codes 90000-93599. Then 50% capacity for yellow tier with 25% indoor dining.

^Yes, but imagine how much worse it'd be if things were open again. If cases are on the rise again in California (as they seem to be), opening things is not going to help that trend go back down.
Then back it up with evidence, my question still stands so if Disneyland has a food event and 10 thousand people are allowed in, the rides are what we are worried about?

Also no one is saying open up 100% with no masks, plastic barriers, outside Qs and so on. Many people want sensible openings since the state can't support the people who lost jobs because of these restrictions and the towns are losing millions in tax dollars.
There is a cost either way if we stay closed or open but if there is evidence theme parks are the cause of COVID rising then please publish the data with statements or else your just talking with your gut feelings and not facts.

Then back it up with evidence, my question still stands so if Disneyland has a food event and 10 thousand people are allowed in, the rides are what we are worried about?

Also no one is saying open up 100% with no masks, plastic barriers, outside Qs and so on. Many people want sensible openings since the state can't support the people who lost jobs because of these restrictions and the towns are losing millions in tax dollars.
There is a cost either way if we stay closed or open but if there is evidence theme parks are the cause of COVID rising then please publish the data with statements or else your just talking with your gut feelings and not facts.
It doesn't travel when you're eating everyone knows that

• Haha
Reactions: Freak and Mad Dog

The problem is with case counts so high, and a failure in full/proper contact tracing, you can't say one way or another if theme parks (that have opened elsewhere) have significantly contributed or not to the spread. And without the ability to answer that question, they are erring on the side of caution.

It may be unclear how much rides are safe from a Covid point of view. On thrill rides, people scream. Screaming means droplets are coming out of their mouth and going into the air, and now all the people behind them are going through those droplets at a high velocity. Is it enough to make one sick? I'm not sure if anyone really knows. Just because other parks are open and running their rides, I don't think anyone actually has any science or data to know if it's been truly safe. If there is, I'd love to see it myself.

Also, as has been said many times before, it's more than just the rides. It's the queues to the rides. People standing in close proximity to others, perhaps for extended times, and often indoors. And let's be real... as we see from numerous pics from Orlando, as well as just local trips to grocery stores, Target, and the like, there's still plenty of people wearing masks improperly. Or not even at all. Not to mention all the people who just don't respect social distancing. Just today, I saw at least three people in my proximity not wearing masks properly, and I was at work where it's supposed to be required (!).

And I don't think anybody is saying that theme parks the cause of Covid rising. Heck, it's rising now, and they're not even open, so it's pretty clear theme parks are not causing it. But you're looking (dare I say singularly-focused) at one single piece of a very large, complex puzzle. Theme parks by themselves are likely not a leading cause. Malls by themselves are likely not a leading cause. Movie theaters by themselves are likely not a leading case. Indoor dining at restaurant are likely not a leading cause. But collectively, they can be a very large cause in aggregate.

I doubt any of this will change your mind. You seem pretty deadset in your point of view. You have a right to have it, but it's starting to feel more combative rather than productive.

The problem is with case counts so high, and a failure in full/proper contact tracing, you can't say one way or another if theme parks (that have opened elsewhere) have significantly contributed or not to the spread. And without the ability to answer that question, they are erring on the side of caution.
Then why is he saying it's back by science if that is not the case.
It may be unclear how much rides are safe from a Covid point of view. On thrill rides, people scream. Screaming means droplets are coming out of their mouth and going into the air, and now all the people behind them are going through those droplets at a high velocity. Is it enough to make one sick? I'm not sure if anyone really knows. Just because other parks are open and running their rides, I don't think anyone actually has any science or data to know if it's been truly safe. If there is, I'd love to see it myself.

Also, as has been said many times before, it's more than just the rides. It's the queues to the rides. People standing in close proximity to others, perhaps for extended times, and often indoors. And let's be real... as we see from numerous pics from Orlando, as well as just local trips to grocery stores, Target, and the like, there's still plenty of people wearing masks improperly. Or not even at all. Not to mention all the people who just don't respect social distancing. Just today, I saw at least three people in my proximity not wearing masks properly, and I was at work where it's supposed to be required (!).

And I don't think anybody is saying that theme parks the cause of Covid rising. Heck, it's rising now, and they're not even open, so it's pretty clear theme parks are not causing it. But you're looking (dare I say singularly-focused) at one single piece of a very large, complex puzzle. Theme parks by themselves are likely not a leading cause. Malls by themselves are likely not a leading cause. Movie theaters by themselves are likely not a leading case. Indoor dining at restaurant are likely not a leading cause. But collectively, they can be a very large cause in aggregate.

I doubt any of this will change your mind. You seem pretty deadset in your point of view. You have a right to have it, but it's starting to feel more combative rather than productive.
Sure then don't say we have science behind you when you don't. We all give (and fairly so) people in power crap for abusing power and saying they back science but if you don't have a study proving your point its all theories, so say that.

Second Of I've been frustrated for months on the lack of leadership, at the start it made sense now we have ZERO plans. Its let people into the parks with no rides which once again doesn't solve the amount of people coming in. If we have 10 thousand people with rides or not then that many people can still get infected.
Indy being open doesn't make it better or worst because you can have outside Q's and Virtual Q's, especially with way less guests and rumored APs to go away until they open at 100%.

Its just frustrating seeing people suffer and leadership not and saying "ohhh well, we are in no hurry to fix this" but since local government can't go into debt to help these people and the Federal leadership is ignoring the issues as well. I don't hear a good reason why people can't spend money as they like if safely. If cases are going to surge every couple of months NO matter what and no one wants another shut down then the parks should be able to open instead of just having more suffering and lose in tax dollars.

Cases are on the rise, THAT is your data and science. Not the time to open up a theme park as community transmission is getting worse, so people asking for the data, its right infront of us. No one is going to open more things up if cases are rising, there is no logic in play there.

Cases are on the rise, THAT is your data and science. Not the time to open up a theme park as community transmission is getting worse, so people asking for the data, its right infront of us. No one is going to open more things up if cases are rising, there is no logic in play there.
They also didn't open it when cases were lower meaning the parks will not open until a vaccine and there is no way that can't end with anything but a lot things going wrong if not until past next summer is when they can open.
Also the fact that once again, they are going to allow Disney to open the parks just not with rides will still cause people backing in.

I predict the first three (if not longer) weeks of DCA having just one land open will cause DTD to get to full capacity on all weekends and some weekdays. That is fine?
In the end its up to each person not to get it, I have not gotten it because I wear a mask and don't go to parties but I have been to Knotts twice.

I and many other's don't want use to become Florida and just open up like nothing is wrong but not letting the parks open for over a year with rides has some major effects to and think personal responsibility comes with being an adult.

Should SeaWorld San Diego be open? It's a simple question, but one that I can't really think of a clear answer to. We all seem to be in agreement that we don't actually know how much theme parks with rides actually contribute to the spread, which means we also don't know about theme parks sans rides. SW is also small enough to where if it had a statistically higher rate of transmission, it wouldn't really show up in the state-level data, so we're basically going to never know. But, again, you're talking about a literal amusement park that will be allowed to remain open (outdoors, with modifications) at the highest purple tier in SW San Diego. Legoland is similar, since it can claim to be an aquarium. That's the dissonance that is I'm sure frustrating for the industry; I'm sure someone at Disneyland is going "wait, I'd be more than happy to close my rides and open the doors and let people watch shows and eat and walk around... but I can't because I don't have animals on display?"

Not sure it's in this thread but I've seen it other places online. People need to save their crocodile tears over wanting the parks to open for "jobs and employees". Why we as a society have allowed jobs to define someone's worth is beyond me. What worth is a job that puts you at an elevated risk of catching such a disease as COVID. "BuT tHeY aRe ExPoSeD tO tHe FlU" says the person who has never met a strawman.

From what I've seen, the people wanting parks to open back up for the jobs or as a way to help the Disney castmember (or whatever park and their employees) have remained remarkably quiet or vocally against other things that could help the unemployed: access to affordable housing, healthcare, food, security, education, etc. These items provide a heck of a whole lot more worth than a job.

I am just bothered by people wanting parks to open that won't admit they want it open for themselves and use the guise that it is for the employees. Like just be honest.

And of course you can want both things, yes. But let's not pretend that's what's going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.