Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion) | Page 255 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would assume that he went to Japan primarily on business to Nintendo's headquarters in Kyoto and that this was an extra stop. But for him to make this stop in Osaka has me wondering if this was a specific business matter to do with Hollywood or if the staff at Nintendo in Japan were merely just proud of the park itself and wanted to show him.
I'm personally more inclined to think it's the business stop and just a coincidence.

Last edited:
I still can't believe Mt. Beanpole got used for queue instead of, you know, ANYTHING else. The Mario Kart queue in Osaka is above the ride. Why isn't it the same for Hollywood?
This whole time EVERYONE thought the show building had a queue upstairs, the mt Bean piole area could‘ve been an extended part of the second story area. Crazy how this wasn’t done. They couldn’t make the building taller to add the queue up there? This whole land just screams poor planning which is really unfortunate. There’s always the chance they tear down studio cafe/panda and expand the land somehow (which is what should’ve been done)

I'm a little Loling at many who said I was was too quick before this opened to say it was too small

I love the land and love we are getting more...but glad now that people have gone they see why I've been saying for years this should have been closer to the size of the full land like in other places

I think I'm completely out of the loop on what happened with Hogsmeade. Any way I can get an explanation?
Grab a sandwhich and a Coke. It's story time.

Basically what happened was when they were building Hogsmede over here, the management at the time was scared to death about potentially dealing with the crowds on opening week from Hogsmeade. They saw how bad the crowd situation was in Florida where they had two theme parks to deal with and expected the same situation over here. I remember the discussion well pre-Potter. We all throught the park would be bursting at the seams with massive crowds when Potter opened. We were interested to see how the park would handle these massive crowds.

To combat the crowd concerns, they scrapped all annual passes and created a new AP structure. All of the new passes almost doubled in price, almost as expensive as Disney APs at the time! Worst of all, no pass was offered that included parking (Which pissed off me and a LOT of the passholders.) They responded to the crowd situation by doing what ironically Disney is doing now: shooing away their AP base and catering towards one-day ticket guests. A lot of the improvements and changes to the park revolved around designing the park to accommodate larger crowds.

Well now fast forward to opening day where they had the park open until 10PM, return time kiosks set up at Universal plaza, and a giant queue set up outside. There was a fairly healthy crowd at first. The first half of the day saw about a three hour line for FJ, but come sundown, the park was virtually empty. By 7PM, I crap you not, FJ was a walk-on. Yes. A walk-on.....on grand opening day. No wait whatsoever. It was even the case around the entire park. I think the Simpsons even had a longer wait than FJ! I know they sent a lot of employees home later that day because they weren't needed. What they thought would be the apocalypse of crowds (And even us on the forums for the longest time!) turned out to be a small surge of people on opening day.

I remember it very well. I actually swung by the park on opening day later in the evening to take advantage of an empty park and newly opened Hogsmeade at night. It was great...but not for USH. There were a lot of factors people were discussing as to what was the cause of the lack of interest. Was it the fact that they've been in softs for two months and the diehards already got their fill? Was it the fact that the land was open for six years in Florida and people already had the chance to see it? But what the park knew was the likely reason for the debacle was how much they grossly underestimated how reliant they were on their loyal AP base. They swung into damage control by rolling out newer and cheaper passes and eventually added one with parking. Even later in the year, they ate humble pie and added parking to the second most expensive behind the just added pass with parking. They had to deal with 20 different APs for about two years before they finally eased into the pass system we have now. We even saw the same situation with SW:GE at Disney! When the land opened the parks were empty! Even during the entire Summer! But unlike GE, at least USH saw some fair crowds at the park, but not quite what they were hoping for as they lost their AP base.

I seriously doubt the crowds will be an apocalypse on opening week, but I seriously doubt we'll see a repeat of this situation. The biggest issue was screwing over their AP base. Now that they have learned and even won over some loyal Disney fans from having the AP program taken away from them, I think we'll see healthier crowds once SNW opens.

Last edited:

Basically what happened was when they were building Hogsmede over here, the management at the time was scared to death about potentially dealing with the crowds on opening week from Hogsmeade. They saw how bad the crowd situation was in Florida where they had two theme parks to deal with and expected the same situation over here. I remember the discussion well pre-Potter. We all throught the park would be bursting at the seams with massive crowds when Potter opened. We were interested to see how the park would handle these massive crowds.

To combat the crowd concerns, they scrapped all annual passes and created a new AP structure. All of the new passes almost doubled in price, almost as expensive as Disney APs at the time! Worst of all, no pass was offered that included parking (Which pissed off me and a LOT of the passholders.) They responded to the crowd situation by doing what ironically Disney is doing now: shooing away their AP base and catering towards one-day ticket guests. A lot of the improvements and changes to the park revolved around designing the park to accommodate larger crowds.

Well now fast forward to opening day where they had the park open until 10PM, return time kiosks set up at Universal plaza, and a giant queue set up outside. There was a fairly healthy crowd at first. The first half of the day saw about a three hour line for FJ, but come sundown, the park was virtually empty. By 7PM, I crap you not, FJ was a walk-on. Yes. A walk-on.....on grand opening day. No wait whatsoever. It was even the case around the entire park. I think the Simpsons even had a longer wait than FJ! I know they sent a lot of employees home later that day because they weren't needed. What they thought would be the apocalypse of crowds (And even us on the forums for the longest time!) turned out to be a small surge of people on opening day.

I remember it very well. I actually swung by the park on opening day later in the evening to take advantage of an empty park and newly opened Hogsmeade at night. It was great...but not for USH. There were a lot of factors people were discussing as to what was the cause of the lack of interest. Was it the fact that they've been in softs for two months and the diehards already got their fill? Was it the fact that the land was open for six years in Florida and people already had the chance to see it? But what the park knew was the likely reason for the debacle was how much they grossly underestimated how reliant they were on their loyal AP base. They swung into damage control by rolling out newer and cheaper passes and eventually added one with parking. Even later in the year, they ate humble pie and added parking to the second most expensive behind the just added pass with parking. They had to deal with 20 different APs for about two years before they finally eased into the pass system we have now. We even saw the same situation with SW:GE at Disney! When the land opened the parks were empty! Even during the entire Summer! But unlike GE, at least USH saw some fair crowds at the park, but not quite what they were hoping for as they lost their AP base.

I seriously doubt the crowds will be an apocalypse on opening week, but I seriously doubt we'll see a repeat of this situation. The biggest issue was screwing over their AP base. Now that they have learned and even won over some loyal Disney fans from having the AP program taken away from them, I think we'll see healthier crowds once SNW opens.
I remember hearing that they screwed over APs, but damn, I didn't know just how much it bit them in the ass. Thanks for the recap, by the way.

To clarify: I am not talking about unpainted stuff that will most likely be painted or whatever else can be expected during technical rehearsals.
I'm talking about cut interactivity, the AA, and certain mistakes that won't be corrected by opening. I think/hope what we could be looking at here if NoA makes enough noise is a Jurassic World 2.0 situation where we get some of the stuff they originally planned, just a bit late
AA? You referring to Lava Bowser that should've been an AA?

I remember a lot off negativity from the fan community when Mario/Nintendo opened in Japan. Seems popular there now. So, like usual, I wouldn't put a whole lot
of concern into what the internet fans say or think. ....And then there was Gringotts. Negativity was volcanic. Now it's a beloved attraction..... :grin:
I mean, this issue is with GSATs and Nintendo themselves, not fans on a forum. I'm sure this land will do well, and it deserves to, it's fantastic. But I also think if there is a situation with Nintendo, that's a bit more substantial than DisTwitter complainers

AA? You referring to Lava Bowser that should've been an AA?
There was a Yoshi AA planned as an exclusive for our queue. It would've had him coming out of a warp pipe in the stairs area of Beanpole. I'm not sure exactly when in development it was cut, but there were construction drawings drawn up so I assume later on in development? He was replaced with screens (though those are currently static)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I had an AP for years until Potter opened....then pretty much ignore the parks because of the fear of crowds and APs being worst...things are much better now and doesn't look like they are making the same mistakes

Anyone have a website/YT video that has a guide for how to get all the stamps?

Not really finding many guides online showing you how to get the stamps for the games/MK

Excellent bottom line summation. And....those two most responsible execs(Universal & Disney) are no longer with us.

Nintendo is Universal’s best shot at getting a Mickey. Not that Potter isn’t massive, but Mario appeals to younger kids. If universal were to ever take a swipe at Disney’s demo, I do believe this is their best bet. The ride has definitely got to accommodate younger kids so the only hope was a tame Radiator Springs for something else other than the speed we got. I sorta get the push back from some, on here or not, but I think from the little I’ve seen it makes sense.

Nintendo is Universal’s best shot at getting a Mickey. Not that Potter isn’t massive, but Mario appeals to younger kids. If universal were to ever take a swipe at Disney’s demo, I do believe this is their best bet. The ride has definitely got to accommodate younger kids so the only hope was a tame Radiator Springs for something else other than the speed we got. I sorta get the push back from some, on here or not, but I think from the little I’ve seen it makes sense.
Agreed and I even made a bet with my friend

I think the Mario Movie will make a billion by the end of the year and if that happens Nintendo is going to start showing up even more in stores for things like Kitchen/home items.

I also think that Shrek will help as well when Shrek 5 comes out....if its done by the same people that made Puss in Boots 2 then hot dam Universal is on fire with the younger demographics