Security Scanners Coming to Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Security Scanners Coming to Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To jump back on topic, I suspect that this could lead to a slight dip in attendance as no doubt, people will start rumours saying that an attack is imminent or that somebody tried to shoot somebody or something along those lines.

To jump back on topic, I suspect that this could lead to a slight dip in attendance as no doubt, people will start rumours saying that an attack is imminent or that somebody tried to shoot somebody or something along those lines.
Honestly to me if I were worried about this that's exactly the perspective I would have. The key points I'm taking away from this are:
1. There was some sort of government reccomendation that sparked this probably based on some sort of intelligence, since all these parks are operating on the same page.
2. Nothing they have done has really impacted someones ability to bring dangerous weapons to a park.

The funny thing is I think they're more upset on the Disney forums about the news that no one over 14 will be allowed to wear a costume vs any of metal detectors.

The best way to combat terrorism, or for that fact, any criminal activity, is to have good intelligence. Security measures like this really don't ever catch or stop much.They're more for show. Even in a prison environment, where you have extreme security measures, most escapes, drug dealing, assaults etc. are caught due to information from snitches or intelligence gathering such as monitoring phone calls, opening letters and the such. It's a sad comment, but airport screenings and stadium screenings accomplish very little. These metal detectors don't really help me to feel safe. So many news outlets over the years have shown how easy it is to get contraband past airport screeners. What is probably more important in a theme park is the monitoring, via cameras and such, that goes on behind the scenes, and what they do with information they receive..

The funny thing is I think they're more upset on the Disney forums about the news that no one over 14 will be allowed to wear a costume vs any of metal detectors.
To be fair that's a major part of the Halloween parties. That's like telling a Universal fan they'll still have HHN but there won't be any scareactors.

To be fair that's a major part of the Halloween parties. That's like telling a Universal fan they'll still have HHN but there won't be any scareactors.
Yes. As we were leaving the MK before the Mickey parties started we were amazed at the huge number of adults arriving in costume. We actually enjoyed watching them come in since they had some great & very elaborate costumes.

I think that the costume policy is a knee-jerk reaction, one that will either go away or be refined as they find a groove/get used to the new security measures. Maybe it's not, but either way it's easier to say "no costumes" rather than "no costumes except for the extra-ticket event that's 9 months away".

Either way, this sucks but it's the right thing. I'm just surprised nothing has happened yet, and we're all really lucky for that. I agree, it probably doesn't "do" much, but it'll discourage the people that are dumb/crazy enough to try something like this in the first place.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I know. I've worn costumes to the MNSSHP so I would be affected too. I just meant in comparison to our conversation about the scanners or even when the metal detectors were introduced on the coasters. It causes vitriol here, Six Flags comparisons, etc. but over there, not being able to play dress-up is the real news story. Just different, that's all.

Reactions: s8film40
I think that the costume policy is a knee-jerk reaction, one that will either go away or be refined as they find a groove/get used to the new security measures. Maybe it's not, but either way it's easier to say "no costumes" rather than "no costumes except for the extra-ticket event that's 9 months away".

Either way, this sucks but it's the right thing. I'm just surprised nothing has happened yet, and we're all really lucky for that. I agree, it probably doesn't "do" much, but it'll discourage the people that are dumb/crazy enough to try something like this in the first place.

I agree. I think by the time we get to the Halloween event which is what this really effects this will be changed. I imagine the special ticket event will have an additional bonus of costumes allowed for all ages and they will probably just have metal detectors that everyone passes thru. Or they will limit the type of costume. But Disney has 9 months to figure all that out. I don't see them banning them for that event though.

this policy wont last at Disney.Right now Disney is pushing star-wars toys hard BC of the movie and soon the land and a major part of the star-wars toys are blasters and light sabers.While light-sabers will still be sold all of the blasters will not as well as all of the adventure land guns which will cut hard into their profit.So if anything Disney retail setion will push hard for this to end

this policy wont last at Disney.Right now Disney is pushing star-wars toys hard BC of the movie and soon the land and a major part of the star-wars toys are blasters and light sabers.While light-sabers will still be sold all of the blasters will not as well as all of the adventure land guns which will cut hard into their profit.So if anything Disney retail setion will push hard for this to end

In most companies safety of their staff and guests trumps money. Look at Darden, in the middle of the economic issues of this country they built all new headquarters. One of the major reasons for this was safety of their employees. The old offices were on OBT in a very bad section. It was getting worse and worse each year and they finally decided to move. Not selling toy guns will hardly touch their bottom line compared to everything else they sell. Not selling or allowing toy guns in the parks really helps out their security folks and also minimizes the risk of a toy gun being mistaken for the real one in addition allows security to know if they see a gun it is almost certainly real. They probably still sell them in Downtown Disney, so you want that toy gun, go there. Almost all families staying for a week make at least one trip to downtown disney. Or should I say disney springs.

Sorry to bring up UOR, but I didn't really see anyone talking about this in any of the UNI threads and I really didn't want to start a topic over this.

I did just want to add that ( to me) it seems odd that so many parks would start new policies at the same time, but I guess it was mentioned that was most likely from a government recommendation or something.

Anyway, we were staying on site for a few days. Down at the boat doc, instead of the boat captain checking bags, they now have a security table w/ UNI security working it. They would check bags, have folks empty their pockets and use a wand to scan them.

When we walked to the parks, they also added wands to the normal bag check table at the end of the walkway.

It never really added to our wait as they can check you before the boats get there, maybe it took a little longer for us when we walked (we were the only ones there at the time we walked up, so no line for us, just a tad more time to wand us).

I did get wanted every time, the I think one time at the boat they seemed to only wand a few folks and not all of them.

I was at least happy this was done prior to City Walk as the fact you can park hop w/o going through security again is something I like about UOR.

We never entered via the parking garage, so no idea what has changed at bag check up there.