Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Security Scanners Coming to Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal

^ What kinds of pests?
Bed bugs, they walk them through the hotels regularly as a precaution. Also when someone complains of bed bugs management makes a request and they will come and determine the complaints validity.

Well I'll try to stay out of the political aspect of this, but gun laws really have no bearing at all on this. Guns are currently and even if they completely outright banned them pretty easy to get so the concern behind these security checks would remain the same. My understanding is the gun laws in France are far more restrictive than here in the U.S. and I believe I've heard that the DLP security checkpoints are actually more intense than the ones here so obviously if that's the case at the very least it's not a factor.
In the UK, they are damn near impossible to get. The violent crimes there involve knives, which is much less deadly than getting shot in the chest.

In the UK, they are damn near impossible to get. The violent crimes there involve knives, which is much less deadly than getting shot in the chest.
Are there any less security checks as a result at parks, sporting events, etc.

I expect the availability of guns to change quite a bit over the coming years. With the proliferation and continuous progress with 3D printers it's already possible to produce a gun in your own home, I can only imagine what will be possible 5-10 years from now.

And everyone wonders why it is so damned expensive to go to a world class theme park. Bed bug sniffer dogs... who knew?

I, like everyone else loves to hear something we didn't know. Perhaps this is common knowledge on the magic site?

These are up today at all 4 parks! Added surprise Universal and Sea World doing them today as well. Something is up, it's no coincidence they all started today.

Yep, they have been installed for park opening today.

Something is up,
I don't think anything is 'Up'. These park owners all talk to each other and benchmark things like security. They've probably all agreed to go for it after a discussion

It looks as though it's just one or two metal detectors per entrance. So this really won't have much impact. Only a select few will be scanned. So this really is just for show.

I'm guessing there was some kind of recommendation from a government source for all the parks to be on the same page with this.

The dogs are used all the time on all the transportation. It's nothing new, I think people are just noticing it now.

I was just going to say this. I was there once when it happened and I asked and they said they do that on a regular basis.

Yes they do, in fact I remember seeing their Disney employee ID. I thought it was neat that they made one for them.

They also have K-9 units for pest control as well. Those are Beagles.

They also have cats that roam the park at night. My friends husband worked night shift maintenance and sent her pictures of the cats. My mom's friends husband who works in ops as some higher up was the first one to tell me about the cats.

Oh and several hotels use bed bug dogs. When I stayed at tiki liki they asked to come in and do this inspection. My daughter loved it and the guy was nice and let her see the dog. We told her to stay back and let the dog do its job but he was nice and let her see it. I imagine the smaller hotels don't own the dogs and probably pay somebody to come in ever so many weeks. I imagine in a town like Orlando there would be some kind of place that provides thus service for smaller places. But larger places like disney it would be more cost effective to own one.

Last edited:
They also have cats that roam the park at night. My friends husband worked night shift maintenance and sent her pictures of the cats. My mom's friends husband who works in ops as some higher up was the first one to tell me about the cats.

Oh and several hotels use bed bug dogs. When I stayed at tiki liki they asked to come in and do this inspection. My daughter loved it and the guy was nice and let her see the dog. We told her to stay back and let the dog do its job but he was nice and let her see it. I imagine the smaller hotels don't own the dogs and probably pay somebody to come in ever so many weeks. I imagine in a town like Orlando there would be some kind of place that provides thus service for smaller places. But larger places like disney it would be more cost effective to own one.
Yes, it also saves them money by knowing when someone is making a false complaint. I also heard a story of one of the dogs catching someone who had purchased bed bugs and brought them with them to put in the room.

Yes, it also saves them money by knowing when someone is making a false complaint. I also heard a story of one of the dogs catching someone who had purchased bed bugs and brought them with them to put in the room.

Oh wow, really? So someone wanted a free room? That is pretty funny and pretty gross that someone would go that far!!!

Great story. "Heh, those aren't 'our' bedbugs. Our bedbugs don't have such hairy legs and they have Motel 66 stamped on their heads"