Security Scanners Coming to Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal | Inside Universal Forums

Security Scanners Coming to Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not so sure I believe this. I think those of us who go to HHN know just how big of a hassle and time consuming this is. The only reason it goes as quickly as it does at HHN is because there is a significant number of employees operating these things, far more than any of the Disney bag checks. The practicality and the cost of doing this is just so much that I can't see this happening unless there is some sort of really serious threat.

Smart idea. Too many crazy folks in this world and if anything happened at Disney World would have huge rippling effects across the board for tourism. I'm guessing this is having to do with the guy who tried to bring a gun into the park last week. Even then if there was just one shot fired...it would have 9/11 level ramifications for Disney.

Smart idea. Too many crazy folks in this world and if anything happened at Disney World would have huge rippling effects across the board for tourism. I'm guessing this is having to do with the guy who tried to bring a gun into the park last week. Even then if there was just one shot fired...it would have 9/11 level ramifications for Disney.
I doubt it has anything to do with that other than if that may have sparked this rumor. People have been stopped trying to bring a gun in many many times in the past, most are just politely asked to take it back to their hotel and come back.

I think it is partly about San Bernardino and perhaps a heads up from the HSD regarding certain info obtained. It is a crap-shoot what these dark buggers will strike next.

I'm not so sure I believe this. I think those of us who go to HHN know just how big of a hassle and time consuming this is. The only reason it goes as quickly as it does at HHN is because there is a significant number of employees operating these things, far more than any of the Disney bag checks. The practicality and the cost of doing this is just so much that I can't see this happening unless there is some sort of really serious threat.
It will certainly slow things down, but not to the extent HHN does I don't think. HHN slows things down so much because you have an entire park that is being filled right around capacity in the main walkways (not including Diagon), which is squeezing a lot of people in for just 6-7 hours.

I believe this is a direct response to the man who tried to walk into Magic Kingdom with a concealed gun but ran away and/or another specific threat.

I am of two minds. One, most security like this is "theater", where just enough is done to appear to be secure but not enough to actual challenge someone with a bomb or gun (hey what if the person just used it right at the security line, for example?)

Second, the amount of hypocrisy going on right now is astounding. Not necessarily on these boards, but online many are saying "I'm happy Disney is protecting us", but slogging other theme parks who use scanners/metal detectors full or part time. Nothing of actual substance Disney can do can be bad or wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will certainly slow things down, but not to the extent HHN does I don't think. HHN slows things down so much because you have an entire park that is being filled right around capacity in the main walkways (not including Diagon), which is squeezing a lot of people in for just 6-7 hours.
Well yes the crowd arriving at opening is usually pretty big. The thing about HHN though is they begin scanning everyone about an hour before opening. In that one hour period they usually are able to fill the area between the metal detectors and the gates, considering that's about an hour and how many people they use that really isn't that fast. I'm going on my memory but I believe there are about 6 metal detectors in the main arch and 2 in each of the 6 smaller archers so thats 18 scanners. They typically have about two employees per scanner plus the whole no bag area so I would estimate they have about 30 security employees at minimum. I think something like the Magic Kingdom would need more than this probably more like 40 - 50 cast members working these things. They would also need to rework the lines quite a bit as they already have issues with it backing up.

Reactions: SeventyOne
You knew they had guns and just let them enter the parks?
If you were sure, you alerted a blues unit, who would then ask to see said bulge. However, looking for guns was frowned upon, as it was a 'waste of the undercover's time' to look for bulges. The two best we had at finding weapons were more often discouraged, rather than encouraged, to spot them.

You knew they had guns and just let them enter the parks?
They don't search people, they only search bags. A lot of people aren't aware of Disney's policy (it isn't posted) and or just forget or intentionally ignore it. Guns aren't usually and certainly shouldn't be carried in bags. Judging from the number of gun situations I've personally dealt with at WDW and assuming more went completely unnoticed than were discovered I would agree it has to be a very large number compared to what people think.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
I believe this is a direct response to the man who tried to walk into Magic Kingdom with a concealed guy but ran away and/or another specific threat.

I am of two minds. One, most security like this is "theater", where just enough is done to appear to be secure but not enough to actual challenge someone with a bomb or gun (hey what if the person just used it right at the security line, for example?)

Second, the amount of hypocrisy going on right now is astounding. Not necessarily on these boards, but online many are saying "I'm happy Disney is protecting us", but slogging other theme parks who use scanners/metal detectors full or part time. Nothing of actual substance Disney can do can be bad or wrong.

I'm guessing you meant gun and not guy but that's a funny image. Like 2 kids in a jacket pretending to be an adult.