2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There are a few animated fireworks in the projection show. I'm guessing thats when the fireworks will happen if at all.

IAPPA is this week, so there's a good chance they will be doing special stuff for the potter Christmas for them. I know there's a volcano bay after hours tour, and one for Jimmy Fallon, and a session wtih Joe Rohde, Scott Trowbridge and ThierryCoup together.. (amongst other things)

IAPPA is this week, so there's a good chance they will be doing special stuff for the potter Christmas for them. I know there's a volcano bay after hours tour, and one for Jimmy Fallon, and a session wtih Joe Rohde, Scott Trowbridge and ThierryCoup together.. (amongst other things)
Media has been invited to Universal for special viewings of all the new Holiday shows/events from Thursday night through Saturday.

Thursday night after the parks close media will preview a holiday performance by Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees, holiday performance by the Frog Choir, and "The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts."

On Friday media will get to see the new holiday parade floats up close and meet with Universal Entertainment and Macy's representatives for interviews.

And I'm sure there's more stuff planned as well, including learning about holidays at the on-site hotels, etc.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Double checked his other photos to be sure...

Those fireworks look like they’re on the lagoon, not off/behind Hogwarts or its show building.

Admittedly there’s a chance my sense of space is wonky. Could be off the building, but then that’s precariously close to Turkey Lake Rd.

Those fireworks look like they’re on the lagoon, not off/behind Hogwarts or its show building.

Admittedly there’s a chance my sense of space is wonky. Could be off the building, but then that’s precariously close to Turkey Lake Rd.

Maybe where they've been working on that dock?

Just looked at google earth, they're definitely off the top of the showbuilding. Low level fireworks don't need a lot of room since there's no falling embers. Most of the stars burn out before gravity starts pulling back down. The closest pyro launchers will be about 300 feet from the edge of Turkey lake which is plenty of safe space.

That blog post got me so hyped. I'm really looking forward to the Celestina Christmas show.

Reactions: Andysol
So does the ride have to shut down during the show? What about the exterior queue? Overflow in the area between the show building and JP in the event that it’s super busy?

Like, how close is too close for this sort of thing?

Being inside the building seems to be an option - but like at Toy Story Mania if you didn’t make it out before the show started you couldn’t leave until the area was cleared.

Heck, in Pixar Place they had to put those quick service trays that are made of somehow special plastic on top of the trash cans to keep them from catching fire if a shell landed on top of it. Really - every show night all of Pixar’s trash cans had to get their little hats to not die.

Pyro launches can just be set out in the roof at night for the shows, don't need to be permanent fixtures

Yup- they even do this at MK. Just grab a seat by a window at Cinderellas Royal Table around 6-8pm and you'll see them up there on the roof nearby setting up shop.

On second thought- don't grab a seat at CRT. Its awful.

Reactions: SeventyOne
My word this is pretty…

What's nice about all the Potter decorations at both Diagon/London & Hogsmeade are that they are classy & in good taste. There's nothing overly garish to detract from the holiday or Potter ambiance.........I'm seriously considering moving my fall Universal vacation to first days of December next year. The new holiday offerings look magnificent, and perhaps we'll see some Rankin Bass Santa stuff added next year when the Sea World contract expires. I'm aiming to get away from that bad Sept./Oct. Florida weather and the too crowded HHN.

Last edited:
So does the ride have to shut down during the show? What about the exterior queue? Overflow in the area between the show building and JP in the event that it’s super busy?

Like, how close is too close for this sort of thing?

Being inside the building seems to be an option - but like at Toy Story Mania if you didn’t make it out before the show started you couldn’t leave until the area was cleared.

Heck, in Pixar Place they had to put those quick service trays that are made of somehow special plastic on top of the trash cans to keep them from catching fire if a shell landed on top of it. Really - every show night all of Pixar’s trash cans had to get their little hats to not die.

Shouldn't need to close or modify anything. These are called mines, some of the most commonly used close proximity fireworks there are. At the Star Wars stage shows at DHS these are shot off within 10 feet of people. They're also used during the DHS night shows on the theater and surrounding buildings

My word this is pretty…

Showed my wife that last night actually- its perfectly understated and elegant. Love it.

A video has been posted today of the show in USJ and it looks pretty fun. :shades:

I don't know...
There are parts I love and parts I cringed at. Clearly thats not the finished project- as there were no fireworks- but I don't like having live actors giving commentary. It just seems strange. I also hated the Angelina car bit hitting the snowmen. The scale is way off on the people in castle as well, but that's understandable so you can see them. Outside of those things though, the music and rest of it are fantastic.

I just wish they could have done it all without live actors, and just had some voices in the track casting spells on occasion (a la wishes/happily ever after)- but maybe that was a JK thing

^ too...

Did you notice how touchy feely they were with each other in Japan.? There are people getting in big trouble here in the states for such behavior! Note that i was watching a different video which had them in frame near constantly...

:look:

Last edited: