Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort. | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort.

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand in a lake outside the park, but within the park!?
How do they even get inside?

At Animal kingdom (Appropriate though, right???)

Villa at Disney's Beach Club Resort

Last edited:
Actually, the kid was about a foot from the waters edge where it was about 3" deep. And the father was approx. 6' away from the kid. And it was about 9pm and still mostly daylight. The father was close enough to jump on the gator and be bitten several times. And the sign didn't say "KEEP OUT", it said, "No Swimming".

Mind if I use this to respectfully correct a friend on the matter?

Seven Seas Lagoon, Bay Lake and Rivers of America are all connected. Not many actually know that.

The end of that Splash Mountain gator video is super unfortunate now. (they seriously kept the ride running?!)
While Gators aren't know to climb, I agree, strictly for safety reasons and the close proximity, the ride should've halted operation.

Reactions: Ryan
I just don't understand the mentality that Disney is at fault for the actions of a wild animal in an open body of water.

On a ride? Even a lake within a park? Sure.

But at what point do people have personal responsibility for their actions? There are thousands, nay millions, who were told to not go in the water and didn't and who know alligators exist and took appropriate precautions.

If you get run over by walking in the street or set yourself on fire with matches that's all your fault too.

Reactions: RevFreako
Magic Kingdom is partially surrounded by a watery "moat" that looks more like a swamp. You can easily see it while riding the train. Baby alligators can easily slip in then grow.

And back to an earlier point.. Why on earth would you go into that water?

It's not inviting. It doesn't smell good. It doesn't look good. It's murky and gross and full of weeds and algae and such, like obvious floating trash and other junk.

Ive never met or been with anyone who saw that water and didn't think it was gross.

Reactions: RevFreako
I just don't understand the mentality that Disney is at fault for the actions of a wild animal in an open body of water.

On a ride? Even a lake within a park? Sure.

But at what point do people have personal responsibility for their actions? There are thousands, nay millions, who were told to not go in the water and didn't and who know alligators exist and took appropriate precautions.

If you get run over by walking in the street or set yourself on fire with matches that's all your fault too.

This is not much different than swimmers being attacked by sharks. Only difference is that it happened on private property. I do think that Disney should have had warning signs about gators since so many there are not locals.

That second video is exactly like the situation I had to deal with, where there was an alligator in the Rivers of America and I had to attempt to keep people from gathering. Which of course made them want to gather.

Reactions: 12th Man
Actually, the kid was about a foot from the waters edge where it was about 3" deep. And the father was approx. 6' away from the kid. And it was about 9pm and still mostly daylight. The father was close enough to jump on the gator and be bitten several times. And the sign didn't say "KEEP OUT", it said, "No Swimming".

So the kid wasn't swimming? Yikes. So its even worse than I thought. People at work were asking me (the supposed Disney expert) if the alligator came out of the water and grabbed the kid. And I was like, "No, guys. This isn't Lake Placid."

OMG! When will this week stop!

I am with you. This story hit me really hard because I know what this family is going thru. I lived it and it sucks. I have put a happy face on for my friend who is in town, but man, I have had tears in my eyes several times. They come in 3's and I hope this is the last tragedy. This city needs no more.

I only have to worry about the occasional Black Bear in my woods that wanders out of the mountains down here to the foot hills. Besides that coons, groundhogs, possum, deer & wild turkeys are daily visitors, but those we like & feed in the winter when they're starving. And a few copper heads every now & then (we don't feed them). When I awaken in the morning and go out on my back balcony deck, it sometimes is like the animal preserve outside the AK hotel. :) And yes, I have a no swimming sign posted for my fish ponds. ;)

Yeah, I currently live in Bambiville Happytown too. Florida is an area where Bambi is dragged into the water to its death by an ancient creature. Call me a sissy, but I took that very seriously every day.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yeah, I currently live in Bambiville Happytown too. Florida is an area where Bambi is dragged into the water to its death by an ancient creature. Call me a sissy, but I took that very seriously every day.
Our critters are like Ellie Mae's friends from The Beverly Hillbillies. :)

Reactions: Teebin
It's so terrible & tragic, and I am glad that they found the little boy so his parents can get closure and give him a proper burial.

Thing is though... I'm from the UK where the worst we get are adders (and that's down south, not where I'm from) no critters trying to kill us... and even I know that all bodies of water in Florida are likely to have gators in so steer clear! When we stayed at POR we kept well clear of the banks of the Sassagoula!

(but then I've been to Florida a fair few times more than the average brit... so maybe I'm just more educated than the regular tourist...?)

On the note of halting the boats... I think that was more to avoid guests seeing the body or body parts floating by. (again, I apologize for being so pragmatic but)
That, and technically the ENTIRE Lagoon was the site of an investigation. The Ferry was closed before park closing the night it happened.

And back to an earlier point.. Why on earth would you go into that water?

It's not inviting. It doesn't smell good. It doesn't look good. It's murky and gross and full of weeds and algae and such, like obvious floating trash and other junk.

Ive never met or been with anyone who saw that water and didn't think it was gross.
I would assume that this family, like most I see running on the water's edge and going in the water a little bit, the reasoning is that the area is groomed to look like a beach and not a lake. Disney is definitely not completely at fault here, but I do feel like they have some blame in the matter. If they are going to make the area look like a nice little beach area, there should be signs saying beware of alligators. No Swimming definitely does not make one think no walking along the edge or else you may get snatched.

Also the two are not the same, No Swimming does not mean Beware of Alligators and Beware of Alligators does not mean No Swimming. There are several parks around here that are big for kayaking/tubing/swimming that do have alligators in that same area. One park I have gone to I saw a little 2' alligator sunning himself not 50 yards from the main swimming area.

Reactions: UNIrd and Mad Dog
One interesting point that I had not known or for that matter that it was even an option is that Disney has open permits for all of their property. This means that if there is an alligator that they deem a problem (for whatever reason) they are legally allowed to remove that alligator. Any number, any reason, they are able to remove the animals themselves without contacting anyone. Normally the procedure would be for the person to call in a complaint to Florida Fish and Wildlife (Florida Fish and Game), they would file a permit or emergency request, and finally a trapper would be assigned to remove the alligator.

Status
Not open for further replies.