Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin

Honestly it's very clear they had very little space, can anyone come up with something better based on the small amount of space and 4 vehicles being out at once?

Honestly it's very clear they had very little space, can anyone come up with something better based on the small amount of space and 4 vehicles being out at once?

Right off the top of my head add theming to the garage doors and blank walls you can see from the ride track. Another one would be to dump the whole puck thing and have the RV drive though the penguin environment (ala animal kingdom/rhino rally)

I'm not a president of creative for a major theme park but if I was I could probably come up with something better. And if space is the issue... find more space.

Finally got to experience this after a shift, and it was just kind of embarrassing.

There are elements to the attraction that are kind of impressive. The entry room was pretty interesting, because even though the animation is laughably comparative to that of early PS3 games, it gives the show experience a pretty entrance. Also, the end's grand reveal is pretty impressive and exciting (if you don't factor in the penguin poop), and being able to get so close to the penguins is definitely a great touch, even though in execution it's been iffy.

But Sea World's take on lighting and multimedia effects is so very basic that it had me pulling a confused and :/ face throughout. There is probably nowhere in Antarctica where the caverns erupt in color and shimmering and sparkling lights. It's supposed to add awe and aura to a seemingly desolate environment, but it was definitely the wrong way to do it. It seems as though most of the attraction is revolving around the same set pieces as if you're Puck while he's in a psychedelic trip during his adolescence. It doesn't work.

The graphics and transitions from one room to another (particularly the garage doors) were just bad show altogether. So were the exposed lights, highly reflective surfaces (you never want to reveal the lights on the surface on which you're casting them, either), and storyline.

This was definitely an attraction with potential, and in execution, it didn't come out so hot (pun intended).

Finally got to experience this after a shift, and it was just kind of embarrassing.

There are elements to the attraction that are kind of impressive. The entry room was pretty interesting, because even though the animation is laughably comparative to that of early PS3 games, it gives the show experience a pretty entrance. Also, the end's grand reveal is pretty impressive and exciting (if you don't factor in the penguin poop), and being able to get so close to the penguins is definitely a great touch, even though in execution it's been iffy.

But Sea World's take on lighting and multimedia effects is so very basic that it had me pulling a confused and :/ face throughout. There is probably nowhere in Antarctica where the caverns erupt in color and shimmering and sparkling lights. It's supposed to add awe and aura to a seemingly desolate environment, but it was definitely the wrong way to do it. It seems as though most of the attraction is revolving around the same set pieces as if you're Puck while he's in a psychedelic trip during his adolescence. It doesn't work.

The graphics and transitions from one room to another (particularly the garage doors) were just bad show altogether. So were the exposed lights, highly reflective surfaces (you never want to reveal the lights on the surface on which you're casting them, either), and storyline.

This was definitely an attraction with potential, and in execution, it left me cold (pun intended).

:wave:

Right off the top of my head add theming to the garage doors and blank walls you can see from the ride track. Another one would be to dump the whole puck thing and have the RV drive though the penguin environment (ala animal kingdom/rhino rally)

That was essentially what their pre-ride hype/marketing campaign implied the ride to be. Remember the construction walls?

antarctic-empire-of-the-penguin-boat.jpg

Every time i see a video of the ride I think about that concept art. Other than the vehicles, there is no way you would know they are the same ride

Their relative success with Merlin is puzzling, though. Were they reaching into them as much as they've reached into SEAS while they had controlling interest? If not, why have they not seen the issues that getting dirty in the business brings with their investments? I'm not nearly as familiar with Merlin and how it is controlled.

Get'em Nassal, **** that ride!! Tear it down and build something worthwhile!

They can axe the actual ride portion, but do not touch the actual exhibit! :lol:

I will gladly go with my winter gear for photos or if I want to stay in there more than 5 minutes, even without a ride.

I seriously doubt SeaWorld would blatantly not pay their construction bills, even being so financially-burdened as people claim. I suspect a miscommunication somewhere. This is being overblown, just like everything else in the media. It seems the press is consistently shining a negative light on SWO. Every little slip-up they encounter is scrutinized and picked apart. It's sad because SWO is really a great park; just going through some tough times.

With that said, I hate the mismanagement of Blackstone. They're really hurting the Busch parks. It's a damn shame too, because SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are my two favorite parks.

I seriously doubt SeaWorld would blatantly not pay their construction bills, even being so financially-burdened as people claim. I suspect a miscommunication somewhere. This is being overblown, just like everything else in the media. It seems the press is consistently shining a negative light on SWO. Every little slip-up they encounter is scrutinized and picked apart. It's sad because SWO is really a great park; just going through some tough times.

With that said, I hate the mismanagement of Blackstone. They're really hurting the Busch parks. It's a damn shame too, because SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are my two favorite parks.
They have a few liens placed on them. Each company gave them notice that they (SW) were overdue. Liens don't just happen. The Nassal one just happens to be a huge debt.

They have a few liens placed on them. Each company gave them notice that they (SW) were overdue. Liens don't just happen. The Nassal one just happens to be a huge debt.

Yeah I agree with you, Liens are not something that just pop up one day and you had no clue it was coming. You get a ton of notices and a ton of time to pay. I know this from being on my HOA board. We place liens on houses when we are not paid. You have to send so many bills to them and then after non-payment you have to send certified letters and stuff like that before the lien is placed. So this is no miscommunication. The only other thing it could be is that Sea World feels they don't owe the money for some reason, but that will be decided in the courts system. But trust me, Sea World knew what they were doing.

I will say that we do get neighbors that claim they didn't receive the 10 late notices, but they somehow managed to get the letter from the lawyer telling them if they don't pay the lien process will begin :lol:

I wonder if they'll try to use all the negative reviews and underwhelming impact it has had on metrics improvement compared to what was forecasted to argue that they failed to deliver the best workmanship they were hired to provide, or something along those lines? This could get interesting, though I bet it gets settled out of view for a bit less than the $200k.