Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

Went and looked up the 2001/2002 figures. Attendance "tanked" in the last quarter after 9/11, but for the year it only took things down 2%. The worst hit WDW park in 2002 only dropped 8%.

So for things to be down 30% it'd be full panic-mode and people would already be getting fired while park hours would be cut and attractions going "seasonal."

Trust me, I worked at Epcot in 2002 and we were threatened with being shut down because attendance was getting near the magic number to make opening the park not worth it. Everyone was told the contingency plan was to cut the park hours and close non-essential areas (see: Wonders.)

As far as hotel occupancy, when I checked July 4th weekend, WDW was shockingly wide open. And I was helping a friend today look for on-site rates for next weekend they had plenty of availability at rates similar to what I had booked first weekend of June. Never expected Summer to become slow season at WDW but it's hot enough that maybe it should be. :lol:

As for the Olympics, isn't that not for another month? So some are saying attendance has been soft...because of an event that's happening 30 days from now?

As far as hotel occupancy, when I checked July 4th weekend, WDW was shockingly wide open. And I was helping a friend today look for on-site rates for next weekend they had plenty of availability at rates similar to what I had booked first weekend of June. Never expected Summer to become slow season at WDW but it's hot enough that maybe it should be. :lol:

As for the Olympics, isn't that not for another month? So some are saying attendance has been soft...because of an event that's happening 30 days from now?

I'd say that attending Olympic events is pretty pricey and so a budget for a trip to WDW could easily become a budget for going to olympic events.

I can't imagine enough people choosing Olympics over WDW to make much of a difference in park attendance but I suppose it could be another factor in the growing list.

Small on the Brazil front itself, along with their crap economy at the moment. But no 30% that's being claimed.

The sky isn't falling.

Went and looked up the 2001/2002 figures. Attendance "tanked" in the last quarter after 9/11, but for the year it only took things down 2%. The worst hit WDW park in 2002 only dropped 8%.

So for things to be down 30% it'd be full panic-mode and people would already be getting fired while park hours would be cut and attractions going "seasonal."

Trust me, I worked at Epcot in 2002 and we were threatened with being shut down because attendance was getting near the magic number to make opening the park not worth it. Everyone was told the contingency plan was to cut the park hours and close non-essential areas (see: Wonders.)

Well it helps 2/3rds of DHS is closed so....it could be those levels.

Small on the Brazil front itself, along with their crap economy at the moment. But no 30% that's being claimed.

The sky isn't falling.
If it isn't bad then Disney's quarterly report will likely cough up attendance percentage up/down for WDW as they did for the last quarter. If they won't give numbers or wrap it up with US or world attendance then something bigger is likely happening. Disney Q3 Financials come out Aug 9th I believe.

I'd say that attending Olympic events is pretty pricey and so a budget for a trip to WDW could easily become a budget for going to olympic events.

Yeah, I don't think attending the Olympics in Brazil is a true vacation alternative to WDW for more than maybe a handful of families.

Olympics will keep a lot of Brazilian tourists home though, just like the World Cup did for that summer.
Yes, but that should not have had an effect yet. I lived in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics. For years before we heard horror stories of how bad congestion would be. Many left the area. Others stayed home. The traffic was actually lighter than usual. Olympics do not encourage locals to stay. They encourage non-locals to visit.

The World Cup is a whole different creature. Most people don't care about most of the Olympic sports. In Brazil they love their soccer/football.

Yes, but that should not have had an effect yet. I lived in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics. For years before we heard horror stories of how bad congestion would be. Many left the area. Others stayed home. The traffic was actually lighter than usual. Olympics do not encourage locals to stay. They encourage non-locals to visit.

The World Cup is a whole different creature. Most people don't care about most of the Olympic sports. In Brazil they love their soccer/football.
I'm talking about potential tourists from Brazil that are spending their vacations doing the Olympic venues instead of traveling outside the country for their vacations.....Just one of many factors as I discussed before.

All of this combined with anecdotal evidence that after the initial opening rush of Shanghai, it is under-performing in attendance and revenue and Disney could be in BIG trouble on the parks side (though the film division is doing well).

I wouldn't be surprised to see some big shakeups coming with management and hear more investors calling for splitting the company into two separate divisions.

I was doing some reading on tourism. Over one third of Brazilians travelling to the US go to Orlando. Going to WDW is a dream of most Brazilian children. Wald Disney himself made a trade trip down there to drum up interest. The economy down there is in really bad shape. The Olympics doesn't help. WDW really counts on those Brazilian tour groups.

To put it in perspective, if Brazil was a US state, it would be #2 source for WDW visitors, behind only Florida.

I still havent seen any proof that this is actually the case.

Unless you work for the Mouse in a fairly high-up capacity, you're never going to see hard number "proof." The attendance figures you cite are basically fairy tales, as has been debated ad naseum.

July 4, no closings--first time in 15 years. Didn't even need expansion parking lots. Blackout dates on CM tickets being lifted. Hotel Plaza hotels cutting rates in Summer. Posted wait times consistent with a moderate crowd at best.

Disney news is like Pravda. You're never going to be told the awful truth, you have to learn to read between the lines to see it.

Checking posted ride times for Tuesday, Weds., & Thurs. morning....AK, Epcot, DHS : Slow to low Moderate....MK: High Moderate ....................IOA: Moderate, Universal Studios: Busy (Note: IOA is blacked out for AP Power Pass)

That is extraordinary. If it is mainly due to the Orlando tragedies then it should rebound. If not, then they have a huge problem.

Zero chance this is due to Pulse or the alligator attack. Guest book months out, Pulse is still local, and none of the attacks affect transportation or the parks themselves.

I know Disney is hit hard and will continue to be, I don't expect Avatar to help (the "what?" of movies) much outside of locals and Lou. Universal was pretty strong up until recently, but 2% decline sounds a little high from what I've heard (but I can be wrong).

I went to DHS to check out the new Star Wars Night Show and even though I walked from Sunset Blvd to Star Tour about 3 to 4 times, all I saw was just 1 Brazilian Group "Happy Hour (Red Shirts)", and 1 flag.... That was it! Actually! in one of our "back and forward" walks, people started to pick a spot for the night show and at that point the streets were empty, to the point that I could run in big circles all over the place without bothering one soul.... I could not believe how empty the walking paths were.

Didn't Disney recently state that they increased prices to cut attendance so as to provide a better experience to their guests? This means a decline is a good thing.

Didn't Universal do this CA and it seemed to hurt them a bit with AP holders. I imagine this was a poor strategy by both parks. Hopefully prices start to level out and let the economy catch up.

I went to DHS to check out the new Star Wars Night Show and even though I walked from Sunset Blvd to Star Tour about 3 to 4 times, all I saw was just 1 Brazilian Group "Happy Hour (Red Shirts)", and 1 flag.... That was it! Actually! in one of our "back and forward" walks, people started to pick a spot for the night show and at that point the streets were empty, to the point that I could run in big circles all over the place without bothering one soul.... I could not believe how empty the walking paths were.
And there's only about half the walking paths there used to be........Anecdotal evidence; I used to receive two pin offers a year from Disney. I just got my mail, and in it was the fourth pin offer in four months. What was twice a year has grown into a monthly marketing blitz....Interesting in the brochure: No mention of Frozen....No mention of Rivers of Light...Their AK section states: New nighttime experiences at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park. Now alive with Magic, discover sunset safaris, festive parties and nighttime celebrations. Guess there's no confidence they'll fix ROL real soon.