Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

I would argue Disney's current pricing structure has existed in it's own bubble for a while. When a 4 star hotel on site is twice as much as another 4 star hotel in a major city, more discounts aren't going to get you a lot of new customers, just some extra days from the customers you already had.

How has Universals attendance been this summer? Id assume down because Disney is down, but for their own numbers/goals, are they having as big of issues as Disney is having?

Just looking at TP's crowd calendar results on a daily basis during the summer (Crowd levels are an indication of how crowded a park feels but are not official attendance) , Universal seemed to be OK up until the last two weeks of August. WDW seemed very soft 'all summer'. But the last four or five weeks seemed slower than even the normal slow for this time of year for both park systems. When Disney sneezes everyone in Orlando catches a cold, so I'd think it's affected Universal, but they did appear to be decent until this last drop off. Weather disruptions, and hotter than normal temps, probably hurt a lot too. Disney had trouble with summer hotel bookings earlier, one reason for moving up the dates to open GESWL, and previous discounting of rooms. But, as we now know, that didn't help either.

I would argue Disney's current pricing structure has existed in it's own bubble for a while. When a 4 star hotel on site is twice as much as another 4 star hotel in a major city, more discounts aren't going to get you a lot of new customers, just some extra days from the customers you already had.

There is a large fan base that will gladly be kidnapped at the airport, get 3 short lines a day, and pay crazy prices for food for a week.

Heck, yesterday at MNSSHP, there were apparently DVC people that showed up at 2 to wait for Jack and Sally at 430. A LOT of them. And likely at every party. Those people are at Disney so much waiting 3 hours for a meet and greet is no big deal.

But I don’t think Disney can survive on those very rich people. But there are also the nutjobs who spend almost all their disposable income, if not more, on Disney. They see hidden Mickeys everywhere, they have 247 tsums tsums. And they have no money in their 401k.

My last stay on property was back when free dining included app, dessert, and tip. Since then there is no way I’d spend money to stay in a Disney hotel. We’ve been at Cabana Bay the last 3 visits. It is easily as good as a Disney Moderate and we’re paying like 105 a night this week.

Last edited:
Just a random observation. Today I received a postcard from Disney about the new Riviera Resort opening 12/16. My mother got the same ad. I think the hotel looks fantastic, but figured I'm sure it's already all booked for months, but then I thought why are they sending ads in late September.

I went online and checked for a stay starting 12/17 and let it auto-fill to 12/23, much to my surprise there are still rooms available right after the hotel opens... (yes it's $650+) a night but there are rooms available

I scrolled and saw that my 12/17-12/23 vacation is pretty much wide open for the resorts of my choosing. The only ones I see as sold out are Pop Century, All Star Movies, French Quarter and Wilderness Lodge.

I know that's not QUITE Christmas, but brushing right against it I find it interesting there is so much availability and the site was trying to sell me some kind of "discounted" fall/holiday package

I checked Uni's hotels for comparison and all the Universal hotels appear to be available for those dates as well.

Is this normal? or should this cause concern?

So, all anecdotal, but it seems the domestic market demand for destination parks is collapsing. Sounds like UOR and WDW are both suffering, with WDW having the bigger drop.
Well this isn't a great sign for Epic Universe I would say in the long run.

Well this isn't a great sign for Epic Universe I would say in the long run.

That's three and a half years away. If a recession hits next year it'll likely be "over" (if appropriate measures are taken) in 2021 or 2022. Remember OG Potter opened in 2010, a year after the Great Recession ended and we know how well that did. It wouldn't surprise me if Comcast is expecting and planning for this already (and the cheaper construction/labor that comes with a recession) to build the park.

That's three and a half years away. If a recession hits next year it'll likely be "over" (if appropriate measures are taken) in 2021 or 2022. Remember OG Potter opened in 2010, a year after the Great Recession ended and we know how well that did. It wouldn't surprise me if Comcast is expecting and planning for this already (and the cheaper construction/labor that comes with a recession) to build the park.
The way the country is currently being run, I don’t trust appropriate measures would be taken.

This country is a **** show right now.

So we were thinking of taking our son to Disney for his 1st birthday (yes I know he won't even remember it) which is in April. Should I wait to book a hotel room/buy park tickets and hope I'm able to get a better deal or would I get a better rate booking further in advance? We are Florida residents.

Just checked hotels for Christmas Eve to New Years Eve 12/24-12/31. Everything is avail but Pop Century/All Star Sports/Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary and a few villas..

:afraid:

So we were thinking of taking our son to Disney for his 1st birthday (yes I know he won't even remember it) which is in April. Should I wait to book a hotel room/buy park tickets and hope I'm able to get a better deal or would I get a better rate booking further in advance? We are Florida residents.

Assuming you are doing a couple days, my guess is some sort of 3 or4 day resident ticket will be available. Unless you're right around Easter weekend, and maybe even then.

He might not remember it but the photos will make a great memory.

I read that as “We’re taking ourselves to disney to celebrate his 1st birthday and we are bringing him along too.”
I admit I schlepped my nephew around the MK on a chest harness 30+ years ago while his parents went on rides and I agree taking a 1 yo is not the best situation. I would hope they could leave it with a relative and bring he/she when they are 5.

Last edited:
The way the country is currently being run, I don’t trust appropriate measures would be taken.

This country is a **** show right now.

At least Congress is laser focused on important stuff.

Just a random observation. Today I received a postcard from Disney about the new Riviera Resort opening 12/16. My mother got the same ad. I think the hotel looks fantastic, but figured I'm sure it's already all booked for months, but then I thought why are they sending ads in late September.

I went online and checked for a stay starting 12/17 and let it auto-fill to 12/23, much to my surprise there are still rooms available right after the hotel opens... (yes it's $650+) a night but there are rooms available

I scrolled and saw that my 12/17-12/23 vacation is pretty much wide open for the resorts of my choosing. The only ones I see as sold out are Pop Century, All Star Movies, French Quarter and Wilderness Lodge.

I know that's not QUITE Christmas, but brushing right against it I find it interesting there is so much availability and the site was trying to sell me some kind of "discounted" fall/holiday package

I checked Uni's hotels for comparison and all the Universal hotels appear to be available for those dates as well.

Is this normal? or should this cause concern?

$650 a night?!!! For a normal room? Does this include a butler and free food?

Last edited by a moderator: