Attendance Tracker | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree on the nostalgia bit but only to the point the kids will go along with it...then when the kids are not interested...

my daughter prefers Universal at 13 and would go to D water parks only. D for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party being the only real exception for the fun of it....and she still loves the sugar..

Last edited:
I agree on the Nostalgia bit but only to the point the kids will go along with it...then when the kids are not interested...

Depends on the age of the kid and what they are into. My daughter is not old enough to care which park we go to. She is only 5 though. But I have a friend with a son who is 9 and he prefers Disney because he is not a thrill kid. For the longest time Barnstormer was the only coaster he would go on. He just tried Space Mountain this year and I think it was because my daughter would go on it. Probably a little embarrassing when a 5 year old girl will go on something you won't :) They keep saying they will do Uni one day, but right now they are content with the non-thrill stuff on Disney and they could care less if there is anything new there. They just enjoy the parks.

In addition to princesses Disney has the nostalgia of adults. What they don't have is much enthusiasm from boys after a young age. Boys I know who have been to both resorts want to go back to Universal. As Universal becomes better known and developed it will be more of a draw to boy and teens on general. At some point, maybe even now, that will impact Disney attendance.

I love MK. I like EPCOT. The other two Disney parks have some decent rides but the parks themselves don't do much for me. I am content to do Halloween at MK and the rest of the year at Universal. If the competition was between Universal and AK/DHS, Universal would be winning hands down.

Disney is working hard to make one day at MK very expensive but an extended visit to all parks more reasonable. That might just be backfiring.

The nostalgia thing is what has kept my kids from wanting to visit Disneyworld.
They are 16, and 19 now. They have these faint, but nostalgic memories of Disneyland. It is the shiny/happy memory that makes them hesitant to taint with visiting Disneyworld. It's interesting to me how much they want to hold on to those memories. We live 16 hour casual drive, or a 2 hour plane flight away. This trip will be my daughter's 3rd visit to Universal in 4 years, any suggestion of a visit to Disney is met with major rejection.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Depends on the age of the kid and what they are into. My daughter is not old enough to care which park we go to. She is only 5 though. But I have a friend with a son who is 9 and he prefers Disney because he is not a thrill kid. For the longest time Barnstormer was the only coaster he would go on. He just tried Space Mountain this year and I think it was because my daughter would go on it. Probably a little embarrassing when a 5 year old girl will go on something you won't :) They keep saying they will do Uni one day, but right now they are content with the non-thrill stuff on Disney and they could care less if there is anything new there. They just enjoy the parks.

Well you currently the idea demographic for Disney..I bet you this will change:)

My point is with family formation being altered to later and cost of living going up this overall demographic which is ideal for Disney must be changing... the boomers have gone through, generation x is nearly passed through as well and then look at the number of family formation after that..it cliff dives...

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
Well you currently the idea demographic for Disney..I bet you this will change:)

My point is with family formation being altered to later and cost of living going up this overall demographic which is ideal for Disney must be changing... the boomers have gone through, generation x is nearly passed through as well and then look at the number of family formation after that..it cliff dives...

I honestly don't want Universal to turn into the kid park. I love not having to dodge strollers and scooters.

haha I agree.. can't see that happening although with the change in demographic think they will get the repeat business...Disney will need to refresh to keep up the interest as well..they may have started this however their development cycle is way too long.

The initial shock to the British pound has worn off, helping UK travellers. Wonder if we might see tourism to there shift to other places. Neither of which would have much of an impact on Orlando theme parks, but in a perfect storm it all adds up.

If the pound stays low into next year, my husband and I are probably going to go back to Scotland. We got killed by the exchange rate when we were in Edinburgh in 2012. He's dying to show me Glasgow. Maybe I'll run into @scott_walker

As someone that is international who has come to the US for holidays one-two times a year for the past 14 years. Universal is the only reason we now continue to make Orlando part of our trip although the duration is continuing to reduce. Once your water parks were a point of difference..now not so much. You need new and different experiences otherwise your stuffed.

What we see with our friends is a general uneasy with the police/gun violence issues in the US which now has a high media profile and the world has becoming more aware of in the past 3-5 years. I love the USA however it is now not perceived as a safe place, rightly or wrongly by many overseas. I do have an interest in a travel company, all our markets are growing except the US. This is the chief reason why we can not get pick up for US tours.

I can also relate to the first point - see where you're coming from there.

Interesting second point, especially from your POV having an interest in a travel company. I did read an article the other day (a newspaper, cannot remember which one!) that Orlando remains one of the most sought-after family vacation spots for Brits, even after financial turmoil and crime concerns.

I guess also you have to take into account the demographic - most of my friends are childless and in their 20s or early 30s (Vegas and New York being the more likely destination than Orlando though) and I can't say that they think the USA is perceived as unsafe for tourists. For their own citizens, however? Different story. Not saying this is everyone's opinion in the UK though.

The tragedy at Pulse generally did not affect tourists. If you put it into context, the apparent decline in Orlando this summer is nothing compared to resorts in Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey etc. where acts of terrorism has had a profound effect on tourism (specifically where tourists have actually been targeted and killed) - hotel occupancy rates are practically nothing in some areas. So while I don't doubt that some internationals might think the US is unsafe for tourists, I don't think the safety threat level is the same as countries previously mentioned.

Interesting views though - guess we will have to wait and see how the summer progresses!

If the pound stays low into next year, my husband and I are probably going to go back to Scotland. We got killed by the exchange rate when we were in Edinburgh in 2012. He's dying to show me Glasgow. Maybe I'll run into @scott_walker

I met a guy from Canada 2 weekends ago in the pub who was having a great time because of how cheap everything suddenly became. You'll love Glasgow if you come, it's been officially voted the friendliest city in the world.

I can also relate to the first point - see where you're coming from there.

Interesting second point, especially from your POV having an interest in a travel company. I did read an article the other day (a newspaper, cannot remember which one!) that Orlando remains one of the most sought-after family vacation spots for Brits, even after financial turmoil and crime concerns.

I guess also you have to take into account the demographic - most of my friends are childless and in their 20s or early 30s (Vegas and New York being the more likely destination than Orlando though) and I can't say that they think the USA is perceived as unsafe for tourists. For their own citizens, however? Different story. Not saying this is everyone's opinion in the UK though.

The tragedy at Pulse generally did not affect tourists. If you put it into context, the apparent decline in Orlando this summer is nothing compared to resorts in Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey etc. where acts of terrorism has had a profound effect on tourism (specifically where tourists have actually been targeted and killed) - hotel occupancy rates are practically nothing in some areas. So while I don't doubt that some internationals might think the US is unsafe for tourists, I don't think the safety threat level is the same as countries previously mentioned.

Interesting views though - guess we will have to wait and see how the summer progresses!

I'll never return to Egypt now and I've been 4 times and loved every trip. My wife's parents were in Sharm where the plane that crashed left from at the time. They said they felt very secure in the hotel but they couldn't be persuaded to return, even if with the bargain prices going about now.

I'll never return to Egypt now and I've been 4 times and loved every trip. My wife's parents were in Sharm where the plane that crashed left from at the time. They said they felt very secure in the hotel but they couldn't be persuaded to return, even if with the bargain prices going about now.

Ah that's awful - I can't imagine what the atmosphere would have been like at the time! I've been to a couple of different places in Turkey and I hear they are ghost towns now. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable returning at the moment either.

Anyone been by WDW lately and noticed how the crowds are doing?

I have not. But I can say I was looking for reservations for Saturday and there seemed to be more available than I expected mid-summer. But I do know people do cancel last minute, so maybe it was just that. But it just seemed like I could get the hot dining places.

I have not. But I can say I was looking for reservations for Saturday and there seemed to be more available than I expected mid-summer. But I do know people do cancel last minute, so maybe it was just that. But it just seemed like I could get the hot dining places.
That is in line with what many have been saying all summer. It could also be that people are just cutting back on the pricier meals, but that would also hurt Disney.

Is the reaction to recent attendance drops starting? The Orange County Register reported that Disney cut sales staff this week in the Global Sales & Marketing Department.

Last edited: