Avengers: Infinity War (2018) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saw it again in IMAX. If you have that option, I highly recommend it (if you haven’t already). The more I think about it the more I love it. I have it 2nd on my MCU rankings now. The first Iron Man is untouchable for me.

Thor arriving in Wakanda might be my favorite scene in the MCU. The buildup and the music. Goosebumps. Thor was the MVP of the movie. He’s slowly become one of my favorite Avengers.

I can’t wait for the inevitable Led Zepplin music overlay.

Reactions: HereWeGo
I couldn't be happier for this film. It totally deserves the OW record. My favorite article title I've seen so far said something along the lines of "Avengers: Infinity War 'super hero fatigues' its way to the top of the box office". haha

Hard to guess what the total box office will end up as, but it won't be as leggy as Black Panther due to Deadpool 2/Star Wars and the rest of the "summer" flicks at the box office. That's why I'd expect it to come in significantly below Star Wars TFA's $936 million in the US (it had the holidays and not as strong competition) even though Infinity War is above TFA's opening weekend.

Targets based on opening weekend:

US: $775-800 million

Overseas: $1.6 billion

That would be a total of around $2.4 billion. Overseas is so much higher than Avengers 1-2 because of China and some of the other Asian territories which are likely to put in much larger numbers than the first 2 movies.

China should be somewhere around $350+ million based on Age of Ultron.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
The crazy thing about how well this can potentially do at the box office is that you know that Avengers 4 will top it.

A year for more people to get invested in the stories and every single person who seen IW in the cinema will be back again to see how this all pans out.

Interesting tech note. Although filmed with IMAX digital cameras, they used Ultra Panavision lenses. Ultra Panavision was a very very wide screen process used in the 1950s (the ratio was 2.76 times as wide as it was high). Abandoned in the early 1960s, it was revived for "The Hateful Eight". Since it has a lower squeeze than regular Panavision (UP was designed for 70mm film) I guess it helped make a widescreen IMAX image. It was nice to see the old UP70 logo again though. End of technobabble (can you tell I studied cinematography in college...lol)

Hard to guess what the total box office will end up as, but it won't be as leggy as Black Panther due to Deadpool 2/Star Wars and the rest of the "summer" flicks at the box office. That's why I'd expect it to come in significantly below Star Wars TFA's $936 million in the US (it had the holidays and not as strong competition) even though Infinity War is above TFA's opening weekend.

Targets based on opening weekend:

US: $775-800 million

Overseas: $1.6 billion

That would be a total of around $2.4 billion. Overseas is so much higher than Avengers 1-2 because of China and some of the other Asian territories which are likely to put in much larger numbers than the first 2 movies.

China should be somewhere around $350+ million based on Age of Ultron.
I actually think it may 'only' hit the high $600M/low $700M range domestically.

Infinity War isn't exactly welcoming to pretty much anyone who hasn't seen the 19 prior entries into the MCU so I think a lot of it will be about how many times people see it in theaters. Repeat viewings are key.

Infinity War isn't exactly welcoming to pretty much anyone who hasn't seen the 19 prior entries into the MCU so I think a lot of it will be about how many times people see it in theaters. Repeat viewings are key.
True, but my dad just saw Infinity War having only seen Winter Soldier as he's not really big on Marvel. He really enjoyed it and is willing to see it again. I guess that's a testament that it can stand on its own.

I'd argue even those who aren't super up to date on the MCU will see it because it's the only fun action movie worth seeing right now. And even those who haven't seen all of the movies will recognize the most popular ones such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.

I was really wanting to see BP before this, but at this point, is it worth the wait/effort?

I’ve not seen BP but I had a blast watching this. I’m sure watching BP in the future will make things a bit clearer but I don’t think it takes anything away from the experience.

Go watch it now!

True, but my dad just saw Infinity War having only seen Winter Soldier as he's not really big on Marvel. He really enjoyed it and is willing to see it again. I guess that's a testament that it can stand on its own.

Funny, on the other hand my friend hated it having only seen the GoTG movies. Couldn't understand a single thing. Knew the characters but I believe you have to go into this with a good amount of knowledge of the MCU.

I also think another thing this has going for it is that EVERYONE is talking about it. So if you haven't seen it yet you probably feel left out which in turn kind of convinces people to go see it so they can join in on the conversation. The power of FOMO.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Totally agree. In fact, I’d say it’s the least friendly Marvel movie to newcomers. I’m a couple movies behind and I was a tad confused at times.

I’ll play the cynic, but I could see this movie having one of the biggest week-over-week drops in history. It’s the most extreme version of a fan movie.