Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Back to the Future: The Ride

No one would get that the ride is set in the 90s unfortunately. The only logical and simple solution is to make it 2050, 2100 OR the best way would have been for Doc to say "We're 50 years into the future!" That way, a specific year isn't set in the ride and in that way, we're always 50 years into the future.

Back to the Future was a great ride from my childhood. But even with the creation on this ride Universal did not think long term. When i see ride footage I think holly crap on a cracker WTH kinda graphics are these. Yes great for there time but this ride screams future(so signs, house designs, cars change style yearly) so if any of it seems out dated the 4th wall is broken and ur just on another ride. Could we imagine new crowd heading into the park and saying wow the ride was off the hook. Most likely not. Lines and crowds dont lie simpsons is a hit with the major part of crowd goers(and me but I grew up with show since i was about 5 or when this show premiered).

Back to the Future was a great ride from my childhood. But even with the creation on this ride Universal did not think long term. When i see ride footage I think holly crap on a cracker WTH kinda graphics are these. Yes great for there time but this ride screams future(so signs, house designs, cars change style yearly) so if any of it seems out dated the 4th wall is broken and ur just on another ride. Could we imagine new crowd heading into the park and saying wow the ride was off the hook. Most likely not. Lines and crowds dont lie simpsons is a hit with the major part of crowd goers(and me but I grew up with show since i was about 5 or when this show premiered).
The ride footage doesn't really have "graphics", it's all a mixture of optical effects for the time travel effects, huge bigatures, puppets and scale model cars. Everything besides the T-Rex (which was done before Jurassic Park's groundbreaking visualization) holds up amazingly until today.I'd bet someone a LOT of money to tell me if the ride footage (besides the t-rex) is CGI or not! It was and is amazing ride footage, a true cinematic work of art. Can't say that about The Simpson's ride footage.

Also, wait times don't equal popularity. It's a combination of popularity AND queue efficiency AND ride capacity efficiency. For the record, I've met many people over the years who didn't like the ride coming off of it. If my memory serves me right, BTTF always had a longer wait.

Ive heard from many people that Simpsons is a fun ride. Most people i ride with a laughing during the ride and loving the on screen imagery/"graphics" with great simultaneous car movement. Most people that attend the park today for the first time or have not ridden BTTF love Simpsons. As BTTF fans( i own the VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and Digital Copys of the Trilogy) I also miss BTTF but Simpsons does have a wider popularity.

For the record, I've met many people over the years who didn't like the ride coming off of it. If my memory serves me right, BTTF always had a longer wait.
Regardless of all its faults, I do think the Simpsons has become more popular with a wider range of guests. I don't have a major problem with the actual ride itself, but rather with the process leading up to it.

The entire queue and preshow seem absolutely wasted. Add to the fact that the building doesn't resemble anything you'd find in a theme park.

I'm going to disagree with you guys and say that the Simpsons is not more popular than BTTF was. Maybe it appeals more to children and people who really like the Simpsons, but it lacks heart and after one ride it's stale. I've heard nothing but complaints about the Simpsons ride from other park goers since it opened.

Obviously there are people who like the ride, I'm not saying it's the most hated thing ever. But the overall feeling I get from new riders, even those who didn't know BTTF existed, is that the ride is kinda lame. Also, comedy attractions become stale faster than action adventure rides. Honestly though, my love for BTTF aside, in my experience, I haven't seen it being viewed as a very Popular ride. Especially when people come off it.

Besides the T-rex, the BTTF ride footage felt more real and immersive compared to being in a CGI animated world. The BTTF footage made me suspend my disbelief a lot faster

Uh guys, I opened my textbook up today and this is what was on the page. Creeped me out a bit haha

8661030911_8134c1111e_z.jpg

I'm pretty sure that train that you are referring to here in this case is the old Runaway Train that was featured on the studio tour in its early years. Besides, the train that gets destroyed was a pretty generic train that wasn't anywhere near Universal. The time traveling train is in Florida still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I personally think you did, especially compared to Simpsons. It made better use of the ride system and omnimax screen technology, had an amazingly made ride film, queue made you feel like you were in the institute, and overall it was fantastic, BTTF fan or not. USJ has an exact clone except it's in Japanese. If you do get lucky enough to go before it closes there, download the English audio to your phone and sync it with the ride! (I already do that on Simpsons too ;) )