Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Back to the Future: The Ride

It was clever of them to use the lift system with Transformers in order to save space. I wouldn't mind another ride like Transformers, Spider-Man, or Forbidden Journey.
Yeah.... agree. They proved that a great ride can be done in a limited space... get thinking Universal. 

I do agree that re-ride value for Simpsons gets old quick.  BTTF did as well!  I found myself not riding BTTF a few times in the early 2000's.  But I have been on Jimmy Neutron, and Despicable Me cannot be much better than that crappy Carnival ride.  I have low hopes for DM.  I feel I will ride it 5 times and be done with it, unlike T2.  

I rode Minion Mayhem about 2 or 3 times when I went, and I'll admit, the re-ride value is lacking. The ride itself is smooth, and the story is sweet and short, but it's not an attraction that's worth 2 hours of waiting in line. It isn't anything we haven't seen before, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, The Simpsons Ride is a more immersive attraction. Once you ride it, you'll see what I mean.

The screen isn't anywhere as enveloping as the Omnimax domes, and you can see everyone else in the auditorium in their ride vehicles as well. The story of Minion Mayhem is about Gru turning all the theme park guests into minions. What good is it if you can turn your head and see hundreds of tourists in their human form?

I hear that the 3D is so good though that this usually is enough to distract people.
Yeah, that's true. I found myself almost dodging things that were flying out of the screen.

I'm not at all saying it's a bad ride. In fact, I really like it. The queue is brilliant, and there are several little nods to artifacts found in Gru's home. I love the Despicable Me franchise, and I think it was wise to create an attraction out of it. I'm just saying, they could've done something a little more out of the box.

Yeah, that's true. I found myself almost dodging things that were flying out of the screen.

I'm not at all saying it's a bad ride. In fact, I really like it. The queue is brilliant, and there are several little nods to artifacts found in Gru's home. I love the Despicable Me franchise, and I think it was wise to create an attraction out of it. I'm just saying, they could've done something a little more out of the box.
A dark ride maybe?

A dark ride maybe?
When I first heard that Despicable Me was being turned into a ride, I immediately thought of a children's dark ride. I imagined us all sitting in Gru's laboratory pods going through different rooms depicting the story of the movie. Basically something very similar to the Fantasyland rides found in Disneyland.

Transformers!  :lol: If you mean their last children's dark ride, it was Cat in the Hat. MIB is a dark ride that opened after Cat in the Hat, although that's more of a family ride. So many technicalities.. Haha. A dark ride is defined as an amusement park attraction where you're guided through rooms with animatronics, sound, music, special effects, etc, so technically speaking, Transformers is Universal's latest dark ride.

Transformers!  :lol: If you mean their last children's dark ride, it was Cat in the Hat. MIB is a dark ride that opened after Cat in the Hat, although that's more of a family ride. So many technicalities.. Haha. A dark ride is defined as an amusement park attraction where you're guided through rooms with animatronics, sound, music, special effects, etc, so technically speaking, Transformers is Universal's latest dark ride.
no I meant vvvv

What was Universals(US parks) last Full Dark ride? Cat in the hat? Maybe their done with the whole Animatronic Dark Ride? I hope not.

Yes Transformers is a Dark Ride but its really more of a Simulator with 0 Animatronics. not all animatronic dark rides are themed to kids either(ET being a great example) and isn't MIB more of a shooter ride.

Guess im just being knit picky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they've done quite a few traditional dark rides over seas recently like Madagascar and the Sesame St. ride. All animatronics. Disney is still king of Animatronic rides,although ET and Kong are (were) up there (in my opinion) with the likes of the Haunted Mansion.

Forbidden Journey has some dark ride elements as well. As did the Mummy. I hope they're not done with animatronic rides. The new Gringotts ride is supposed to have animatronics as well.

I have a feeling that Gringotts is a sign that they're not quite done with animatronics. Recent rides like Madagascar, Sesame Street, and Forbidden Journey all utilize animatronics (some more than others).

It's gonna be one of those groundbreaking rides, similar to Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey. There'll be animatronics, towering physical sets, 3D effects, and more. There's even a rumored "drop" sequence..  B)
Wasn't it going to be a roller coaster?

Wasn't it going to be a roller coaster?
it is a rollercoaster, but i heard with 3D screens of some form.
Yes, it's a roller coaster. The ride vehicle will weave its way through sets, animatronics and screens which are blended seamlessly as seen in other recent attractions. Some say the attraction may be like Revenge of the Mummy, though a lot more tame (since it's going to be a family ride). There were some photos leaked earlier this week of progress inside the show building, showing the project in the midst of construction. At the bottom of the photos you can see the wavy, winding coaster portion.

Yes, it's a roller coaster. The ride vehicle will weave its way through sets, animatronics and screens which are blended seamlessly as seen in other recent attractions. Some say the attraction may be like Revenge of the Mummy, though a lot more tame (since it's going to be a family ride). There were some photos leaked earlier this week of progress inside the show building, showing the project in the midst of construction. At the bottom of the photos you can see the wavy, winding coaster portion.
Well too bad it seems we won't get it here

By the way I have seen the blueprints for the ride vehicles... they look awesome

The ride vehicles have a motion base as well, correct?

If so this is all kinds of awesome. I know people are sick of simulators, but the tech brings a dynamic to the experience that masters a real thrill of being there.
Yes they have motion bases...