Bigfire Restaurant | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Bigfire Restaurant

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jeepers, faux is the word here! I cannot believe how cheap it is. Are they buying their meat from China? Not what I expected at all!
The original rumors were that Bigfire was going to be an upscale restaurant (something like Boathouse). I feel like I bunch of us were looking forward to that because CityWalk doesn't have anything like that.

I don't think Bigfire is going to be that restaurant. Not at these price points. Not with that interior. I have the feeling that Bigfire is going to attract the same kinds of people/food/value that Grill-Brew does.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just definitely not what I expected.

They have better numbers than we do in regards to who eats where.

It’s already well known that on-site guests spend more money; so it’s quite possible those same on-site guests are the ones eating at the higher end restaurants at hotels.

Then again, Tchoup Chop closed down unexpectedly with a janky cheap character replacement taking its beautiful location.

So it’s also quite possible that UOR simply doesn’t elicit enough clientele that wants to spend a lot on an upscale dinner. At the very least, that’s what it looks like the decision makers with the data believe.

Lastly, UOR is still a heavy locals park. Moreso than Disney. And that’s reflected in the many affordable annual pass levels. Locals generally aren’t going to feel the need to spend a bunch of money on a nice meal, so this will fit the bill for many of them. We might finally see 1-2 upscale in-park or citywalk restaurants once FW opens and they become even more of a destination resort (with AP prices to match).

They have better numbers than we do in regards to who eats where.

It’s already well known that on-site guests spend more money; so it’s quite possible those same on-site guests are the ones eating at the higher end restaurants at hotels.

Then again, Tchoup Chop closed down unexpectedly with a janky cheap character replacement taking its beautiful location.

So it’s also quite possible that UOR simply doesn’t elicit enough clientele that wants to spend a lot on an upscale dinner. At the very least, that’s what it looks like the decision makers with the data believe.

Lastly, UOR is still a heavy locals park. Moreso than Disney. And that’s reflected in the many affordable annual pass levels. Locals generally aren’t going to feel the need to spend a bunch of money on a nice meal, so this will fit the bill for many of them. We might finally see 1-2 upscale in-park or citywalk restaurants once FW opens and they become even more of a destination resort (with AP prices to match).
Yeah, I think your right. Palms & Bice probably meet the present upscale demand.

Reactions: SeventyOne
So it’s also quite possible that UOR simply doesn’t elicit enough clientele that wants to spend a lot on an upscale dinner.
Everything Universal does signals this.

Universal wouldn't be building so many cheap value resorts if this wasn't the case. Disney wouldn't be building so many deluxe resorts if they thought their clientele wasn't richer.

Universal has decided that they want to go after the middle-class and Disney wants to go after the upper-middle/rich class. That's why Disney Springs has so many high-end restaurants and Universal keeps building more affordable CityWalk restaurants.

Everything Universal does signals this.

Universal wouldn't be building so many cheap value resorts if this wasn't the case. Disney wouldn't be building so many deluxe resorts if they thought their clientele wasn't richer.

Universal has decided that they want to go after the middle-class and Disney wants to go after the upper-middle/rich class. That's why Disney Springs has so many high-end restaurants and Universal keeps building more affordable CityWalk restaurants.
Disney's paying guest is, in general, older than the paying guest at Universal. As time passes and the 20/30-somethings grow up into higher paying jobs, Universal will have itself a clientele that can afford more expensive experiences.

Disney is in a good place because the parents (or even grandparents) who went when they were younger back when it was just MK have taken their kids and their grandchildren. That's three generations that Disney has hooked and it's just cyclical. Eventually Universal will get there, but the general public didn't start taking UOR seriously as a vacation option until Potter opened in 2010 so it'll just take some time.

I think the fact city walk is attached to the parks plays a large role too. A lot of day guests looking for dining options after their day. Where as Disney springs is it’s own area.
The thing that shoots holes in this theory though is the plethora of expensive signatures in each of their parks.

Tiffins, Brown Derby, Cinderella (gross) and several in Epcot (Monsieur Paul to name one).

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
As long as they replicate Emeril's happy hour. A real bargain on CityWalk. I forgive them for leaving so much of Emeril's intact and aren't the prices very similar to what E's charged?

Reactions: Andysol
The original rumors were that Bigfire was going to be an upscale restaurant (something like Boathouse). I feel like I bunch of us were looking forward to that because CityWalk doesn't have anything like that.

I don't think Bigfire is going to be that restaurant. Not at these price points. Not with that interior. I have the feeling that Bigfire is going to attract the same kinds of people/food/value that Grill-Brew does.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just definitely not what I expected.
I feel this restaurant exists to relieve some stress off of Cowfish, NBC, and Toothsome

I think this opens to the public on June 14th I spotted a sign during construction. That stated 6/3 to 6/14, and they have already had a media event on it so my bet is it either opens on Thursday the 13th or sat the 14th.

Agree with this, but also, I don't think Universal has yet broken into the convention market as a major player, other than buyouts of its bars (or occasionally its parks). A lot of those pricey Disney meals are being expense accounted. The other hidden customer base at Disney is weddings, which are non-existent at UOR. Rehearsal and wedding dinners seem to drive a not insignificant amount of guests to their signatures.

On the whole, I think it's smart for theme park adjacent spaces to avoid the whole fine dining game. It's almost as fickle as the nightlife market. Even 15 years ago, Emerils was pretty much THE best restaurant in Orlando. By the time it closed, it was no longer even in that conversation. Disney Springs has had luck so far with Boathouse and Morimoto, but how dated will those look in a decade? Meanwhile most things in a theme parks are built to last 20 years minimum--they don't do turnover every 5 years. Best to stick with basic or even a little bit kitschy.

Agree with this, but also, I don't think Universal has yet broken into the convention market as a major player, other than buyouts of its bars (or occasionally its parks). A lot of those pricey Disney meals are being expense accounted. The other hidden customer base at Disney is weddings, which are non-existent at UOR. Rehearsal and wedding dinners seem to drive a not insignificant amount of guests to their signatures.

On the whole, I think it's smart for theme park adjacent spaces to avoid the whole fine dining game. It's almost as fickle as the nightlife market. Even 15 years ago, Emerils was pretty much THE best restaurant in Orlando. By the time it closed, it was no longer even in that conversation. Disney Springs has had luck so far with Boathouse and Morimoto, but how dated will those look in a decade? Meanwhile most things in a theme parks are built to last 20 years minimum--they don't do turnover every 5 years. Best to stick with basic or even a little bit kitschy.
Yes. I know the Palm does pretty well, and usually at least a week ahead reservations are recommended. BUT, I stay at Portofino a real lot. And I don't often see Bice getting Palms level crowds, and rarely do I see their outside dining with anything more than a couple people. So, those two are probably more than sufficient at this point in time.

I was underwhelmed with Boathouse, especially after I got the bill

Reactions: Quint
I think this opens to the public on June 14th I spotted a sign during construction. That stated 6/3 to 6/14, and they have already had a media event on it so my bet is it either opens on Thursday the 13th or sat the 14th.

Maybe it soft opens on the 14th like the Today Cafe did for a while before grand opening, but I don't think it will officially open then without Uni making an announcement. Seeing as we're 3 days away from the 14th and they had a media event yesterday showcasing it, yet refused to give an opening date... I'm not so sure about the 14th. Not to mention construction permits and deadlines could apply to a certain phase of a project, not necessarily the entire thing. It should still be soon, tho. Otherwise they wouldn't have had all that media people there yesterday.

I agree with the exception of the non-existing weddings at Uni. I'm actually going to a wedding there later this year ;) but yeah, probably not nearly as many Uni weddings as Disney weddings.

Maybe it soft opens on the 14th like the Today Cafe did for a while before grand opening, but I don't think it will officially open then without Uni making an announcement. Seeing as we're 3 days away from the 14th and they had a media event yesterday showcasing it, yet refused to give an opening date... I'm not so sure about the 14th. Not to mention construction permits and deadlines could apply to a certain phase of a project, not necessarily the entire thing. It should still be soon, tho. Otherwise they wouldn't have had all that media people there yesterday.

I agree with the exception of the non-existing weddings at Uni. I'm actually going to a wedding there later this year ;) but yeah, probably not nearly as many Uni weddings as Disney weddings.
I’d assume the wedding is happening at one of the three Deluxe resorts, correct? All are pretty picturesque and have nice spots for receptions.

I’d assume the wedding is happening at one of the three Deluxe resorts, correct? All are pretty picturesque and have nice spots for receptions.
Portofino has a a couple of really nice wedding areas, one outside that used to be the croquet court, and another in one of their numerous enclosed piazzas. . I've seen a good number of those there over the years. They also utilize their convention areas and have the long elegant stairways for photo spots.