Cars area coming to Magic Kingdom | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Cars area coming to Magic Kingdom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My guess is this version won’t have a high speed section, which saves a ton of space. I think that’s why they made a point to talk about the elevation/terrain stuff, assuming that’s where the bulk of the “thrill” for this ride would come from (for better or worse).
So essentially Indiana Jones levels of intensity, but faster and real.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
My guess is that it’s some version of this ride system. I remember them touting some kind of near miss ability of this ride system during IAAPA, which could be a good replacement to the racing element of RSR.

Bringing the first real world utilization of any system like this to the busiest theme park in the world is a recipe for disaster.

I think it would benefit Disney to shed some light on the ride system just to calm the nerves of people worried that we'll lose the Rivers of America for a ride that won't work or will close frequently in inclement weather.

Bringing the first real world utilization of any system like this to the busiest theme park in the world is a recipe for disaster.

I think it would benefit Disney to shed some light on the ride system just to calm the nerves of people worried that we'll lose the Rivers of America for a ride that won't work or will close frequently in inclement weather.
I don't think the nerves will be calmed because it looks like an outdoor attraction - so it will be affected by weather regardless of ride system

Reactions: SeventyOne
Just to show that I’m a fair person, here’s a counterpoint (more of an explanation, really) of the thinking that went into this decision. I don’t know who this gentleman is, but he seems to have very direct knowledge of the reasoning (and has seen/heard more than the concept art allows us to gauge).

I guess my response to that is, to again quote THE X-FILES, I want to believe. But they need to deliver in spectacular fashion, and I need to see it.

And it needs to be a place I enjoy spending time around when I’m not on the ride or in its queue. If Grizzly Peak is what they're aiming for, that's great, but nothing in Grizzly Peak commands the sort of crowds that this Cars ride will.

I was going to say it looks like the current main drag through Frontierland is an afterthought in the art, but I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet you’re going to be able to see the cars off-roading from there along with some waterfalls or geysers or whatnot.

My main concern would be more that the ride layout looks pretty expansive when you try to trace it in the art, but will it get the 7DMT or Tron treatment and cut by 30% in the final version.

"TSI only was accessed by another ride with low capacity" and some other points I get.
This is part of my point though. I would go a lot more to the island if I could walk there... and if it was open later. I go to the parks after I get off work so it's always closed by the time I get there. This cars area will be open until the park closes.

I get people's frustrations here and am not here to tell people how to feel, I just think that while sure TSI was designed for kids, I think kids also LOVE Cars and it's going to be accessible right off the main path, so this is going to be a huge capacity improvement to the park before we even get to Villains.

I'd imagine that would be costly to continually replace those expensive tires, and other parts, with the grueling 12-14 hours daily park operation.
Get someone to sponsor the ride and that covers that. That's why Disney loves having a sponsor for the peoplemover and Test Track.

Last edited:
TSI was a nice attraction to experience without much of a wait. My kids loved it when they were younger plus they could run around aa long as they liked. The replacement, while thrilling will surely have 1.5 to 2 hour standby waits for I guess a 5 minute at most experience.

TSI was made for kids and families of a different generation. That does not take anyone’s feelings or opinions of it away. Kids now are likely on their phones the entire time, not even enjoying the serenity of the area. It’s such a massive space that a ride going here makes a lot of sense.

Get someone to sponsor the ride and that covers that. That's why Disney loves having a sponsor for the peoplemover and Test Track.
Considering this is an IP, there is very little need to find a sponsor for it. The gift shop itself would subsidize maintenance costs. I can't remember the last time an IP attraction was sponsored at WDW?

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Kids today are different. They don't really do much physical play and especially outdoors. They don't really know how to appreciate the outdoors and nature and the age that starts to happen is getting younger and younger. Which also brings me to another point, always ALWAYS leave guest feedback. No matter how insignificant you feel it is, still, let them know.
This can't be emphasized enough. And I'm not being critical of today's youth.....it is what it is. Times change....people change.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Our girls though, are very active outdoors, especially on my large park like property, compete and enjoy playing on baseball and soccer teams, and often spend time walking on the river bike/walking trails that are only a block from their house. TSI did nothing for them. And that was telling. Expectations might be a lot different than they were for prior generations of kids.
How can they not be? I think that physical activity is more geared toward health now rather than enjoyment of environment and mental decompression. Also youth sport activity in general is really the only way that kids can interact with peers outside of social media/phones.

Back to Magic Kingdom discussion......:)

Kids today are different. They don't really do much physical play and especially outdoors. They don't really know how to appreciate the outdoors and nature and the age that starts to happen is getting younger and younger. Which also brings me to another point, always ALWAYS leave guest feedback. No matter how insignificant you feel it is, still, let them know.
This can't be emphasized enough. And I'm not being critical of today's youth.....it is what it is. Times change....people change.
I'd say based of Camp Jurassic/Dig Site at DAK's popularity, kids still love interactive physical environments. Problem is that TSI is a severely outdated concept that hasn't been freshened up since it first opened. Camp Jurassic has a lot of interactive touchpoints (water geysers, slides, dino feet, etc.) while TSI really only has 3 caves to explore and an outdated Fort.

A fully built out TSI with actual interactive and interesting experiences would draw more people into it.

Not defending TSI, I think it's past it's prime, but I'd imagine it'd be more popular if it was at Camp Jurassic's caliber. My biggest gripe with this project is the removal of the waterfront and the steamboat, such a significant part of the MK aesthetic/experience. I don't mind if they permanently dock it, it's such a nice view at night.

TSI was made for kids and families of a different generation. That does not take anyone’s feelings or opinions of it away. Kids now are likely on their phones the entire time, not even enjoying the serenity of the area. It’s such a massive space that a ride going here makes a lot of sense.
Agreed
in a sense its like Jaws replaced by DA
massive peace of land not being used to its fullest in which we gain capacity. i get there is a fine line of keeping the traditional esthetic of the park but there is also a need to change and grow the park

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'd say based of Camp Jurassic/Dig Site at DAK's popularity, kids still love interactive physical environments. Problem is that TSI is a severely outdated concept that hasn't been freshened up since it first opened. Camp Jurassic has a lot of interactive touchpoints (water geysers, slides, dino feet, etc.) while TSI really only has 3 caves to explore and an outdated Fort.

A fully built out TSI with actual interactive and interesting experiences would draw more people into it.

Not defending TSI, I think it's past it's prime, but I'd imagine it'd be more popular if it was at Camp Jurassic's caliber. My biggest gripe with this project is the removal of the waterfront and the steamboat, such a significant part of the MK aesthetic/experience. I don't mind if they permanently dock it, it's such a nice view at night.
Agreed. Heck they could have connected TSI to land and built a Blue Bayou or Haunted Mansion restaurant on it! Imagine that would have made some $$$ for the Mouse.

Bingo. Camp Jurassic is absolutely fantastic - I love running through there as a grown adult. It's a massive, sprawling area with different elevation changes and hidden pathways/interactive elements. Perfect for kids.

Heck, I always see a good amount of kids playing in If I Ran the Zoo as well. All about the interactivity!

I really am surprised how many people are upset about ROA

Like I get it people like it but....you don;t go on the Riverboat or island enough to tell Disney you want it enough to keep

I hope Disneyland this doesn't happen but we also use the island for a large show, so its harder to get ride of.

Also its funny I remember in 2000s people on forums hating clones, like OMG Disney is doing the same ride at both coasts...now Disney wants to make MK and Disneyland feel more unique and people are upset.
It feels like DIsney can't win

Reactions: Mad Dog