CityWalk Expansion | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
I agree that gelato would be successful as well. However, I dont see what would be so special about Haagen Dazs or Ben and Jerrys...are those not basic ice cream shops as well?

Also, I agree that Menchies will perform better. However, there is one right down the street on Sand Lake Road. As far as I know, there arent any nearby Cold Stones...maybe Cold Stone will draw more local business and Menchies, tourists?

I agree that gelato would be successful as well. However, I dont see what would be so special about Haagen Dazs or Ben and Jerrys...are those not basic ice cream shops as well?

Also, I agree that Menchies will perform better. However, there is one right down the street on Sand Lake Road. As far as I know, there arent any nearby Cold Stones...maybe Cold Stone will draw more local business and Menchies, tourists?

There's not a Ben & Jerry's storefront everywhere, and Haagen Dazs is just some of the best quality product ice cream you can get, people see it and equate the name to a premium so they're fine paying $5 for 2 scoops. Menchie's is the right choice regardless of availability because people are all over the FroYo trend.

Universal has been all about unique food & beverage opportunities and exclusive items, and then they open up legit like the worst ice cream chain store possible lol, it just doesn't make sense is all.

They could've made a "Universal's Hollywood Soda Fountain" in CityWalk with exclusive flavors and sundaes, etc. tied to the properties in the parks and related to NBCUniversal and it would be ridiculously successful. Imagine a "Minion" Banana Split...people would have no issue paying $7.50+ for that. Just doesn't fit with everything else they're doing resort wide.

We get it, Ralph, you hate Cold Stone :lol:

Thanks for the response :thumbs: I've been to the Cold Stone in Heathrow before, and I enjoyed it. I just didn't remember if they had Italian ice on the menu, since it's been a while :p

They could've made a "Universal's Hollywood Soda Fountain" in CityWalk with exclusive flavors and sundaes, etc. tied to the properties in the parks and related to NBCUniversal and it would be ridiculously successful. Imagine a "Minion" Banana Split...people would have no issue paying $7.50+ for that. Just doesn't fit with everything else they're doing resort wide.

That's gonna be Florean Fortescue's thing, though...

I don't go out for ice cream often, but I've always thought Cold Stone was the best out of the ice cream chains. I like how they mix it all together instead of just dropping your toppings on.

In Canada we currently have Cold Stone shops attached to some of our Tim Horton's cafes. I read recently though that they're all being removed, probably because it took far too long to scoop/mix ice cream in a place that is usually speedy. Cold Stone was the cheaper option compared to Marble Slab (another ice cream/mixins shop) It'll be nice to have one in Citywalk, but I agree that they probably could've gone with a more established premium brand like Ben & Jerry's.

I too am on the train that disfavors Cold Stone. While having an ice cream shop in CityWalk is nice, I'm not exactly the biggest Cold Stone fan. Hell, I prefer DQ or Carvel over Cold Stone. There's quite a few Cold Stones down here in South Florida, and they're all overpriced. Why pay a ridiculous amount of money for ice cream and candies just because it's mixed on a frozen stone when I can get a Blizzard for half the price?!

Cold Stone is basically the low-end of the high-end ice cream chains (I'd put Ben & Jerry's and Marble Slab a little over it). In that sense, it matches up nicely with Starbucks, and even Moes/Panda Express (two higher-end fast food joints). I'm not overly excited about mass-market third-party outlets, but let's be honest, they've always had a place in CityWalk, and at least Universal is keeping them out of the heavily themed areas of the parks (Springfield, Diagon Alley).

There were TM previews at Starbucks today too, free Starbucks, anything you wanted, up to 2 per person, so I was boring and got a couple of hot chocolates for myself and a fellow team member. Of course, by the time I got to where I could drink it, it wasn't very hot, but I appreciated being able to try this out for free. It was service practice for the new location. It is larger that the one upstairs, and has a very industrial look and feel to it, quite different from their other locations.

I have only been to Cold Stone once, and my husband wasn't impressed, but I am planning on lunch at Red Oven, and Cold Stone for dessert, in between shifts on Saturday. I really try to give every venue we have at least one try, not only for my own satisfaction, but so I can advise our guests properly.

Reactions: Jakemeister
Woody and Winnie are outside Starbucks this morning, wearing Starbucks aprons and waving people into the store.

r3XXBI5.jpg

i2J4niW.jpg

and related:
HL17z6F.jpg

"Both Cold Stone and Starbucks are incredibly busy"

Photos from UORBuzz.

The Starbucks is very well done (sorry no pics)...It feels very expansive as well which makes it seem to be able to handle large crowds...there are also three registers and a switchback line which makes it organized. Overall it seems like it can hold what is needs to as far as morning crowds go. The industrial theme of the inside is also very nice.

The Starbucks is very well done (sorry no pics)...It feels very expansive as well which makes it seem to be able to handle large crowds...there are also three registers and a switchback line which makes it organized. Overall it seems like it can hold what is needs to as far as morning crowds go. The industrial theme of the inside is also very nice.

Four registers actually.

I didn't know that Cold Stone would be such a sure thing but it looks like that location for both of these is a big fat hit.

Alright so i need some suggestions.. I live in Miami and i'm an AP holder but i haven't gotten a chance to drive up this year so i know im heading in to see a lot of new treats. if i could only choose 1 new place to eat where would you guys suggest it be?

THANKS!

Alright so i need some suggestions.. I live in Miami and i'm an AP holder but i haven't gotten a chance to drive up this year so i know im heading in to see a lot of new treats. if i could only choose 1 new place to eat where would you guys suggest it be?

THANKS!

Well none of the other new restaurants have opened yet. Unless you're going sometime around June/July, the only place any of us would recommend is Antojitos.