CityWalk Hollywood | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm surprised a place like Jillian's closed.. you'd think a bowling alley, billards, & arcade would be a great place for people to go. I never got around to experiencing it or eating there, but it is a shame it closed. I'm curious to see what the new restaurant will end up being...

I know they're trying to give Citywalk a big overhaul like last time, but I still question of they know what they're doing.

Really Cowfish? I'd kill for Citywalk to acquire Earl of Sandwich, but I have a feeling that they have a contract with Disney.. Although if both Disney/Universal can have a Starbucks, I don't see why we can't have Earl of Sandwich... because dammit, Anaheim is too far! lol

I feel like CityWalk needs to bring in more of a local crowd. In my experience, I would say a very large percentage of the people at CityWalk are tourists who visit before or after visiting the park OR they're people visiting once to see a movie and then leaving. 

There is a small crowd who visit CityWalk "just for fun" and to "hang out". I'm not saying CityWalk isn't busy, I'm just saying during the off season, there is a definite decrease in the attendance of CW which means many businesses don't get a lot of business at all. 

I think in an attempt to support the businesses located at CW, Universal should try adding a business that will bring people to the area who will be more liable to walk around and shop, in addition to visiting the business. Instead of being a tourist trap which is what it's more or less known for right now. I'm not saying it should become The Grove. But they should work toward appealing to the locals, like The Grove has done. 

This is just based on my observation. Take it with a grain of salt.

-CW

I agree Citywalk Hollywood needs to come up with a better solution than entering the theme park parking structures.  However, the Metro Red Line is still not accessible enough to warrant a train ride for lunch or dinner.  :/

With very limited options for parking in a dual venue location, the best thing they did was create the Valet parking price structure.  The worst thing they did was not do it right.  I think the Valet parking should be utilized for Citywalk customers as an option to avoid the theme park prices for parking.  Simply add a validation from a sit down restaurant and they should offer 5 hours free...yes for valet.  Force the $15 if you leave without validation and $30 if over 2 hours.

Consider it...theme park guests would not take advantage of this because all validation restaurants would be in Citywalk.  Movie theater guests can have the same option, but there would be a problem with accounting for that many cars in Valet.  Keep the theater validation to the parking structures.

This would eliminate the challenge of locals not wanting to come "up the hill" and would offer a similar experience to Disney.

Reactions: Stylowtrix
I completely agree with that Time Parking System idea. That would definitely be the first step to take in order to get the same success city walk once had as far as encouraging locals to keep coming back in. That and again... bringing in potential restaurants that are great  and/or unique that you don't find locally would make the location more special and bring in people to the area a lot more

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Apple is keen to Disney...we should have a Sony or Samsung store in Citywalk.  Saddle Ranch is cool, but that location needs to be removed and relocated.  The main gate needs the space.

I think Dave and Busters is not the way to go.  I am afraid Samba also doesn't do well.  There needs to be more entertainment and excitement which does not happen well behind Hard Rock.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I think Dave and Busters is not the way to go.  I am afraid Samba also doesn't do well.  There needs to be more entertainment and excitement which does not happen well behind Hard Rock.
I usually do a daily walkaround CW to see how things are doing and I really never see many people at Samba. It does get a little busy during lunch time (on the weekends) and for dinner, but other than that, it's not really bustling. 

I don't think there's anything CityWalk itself can do to bring more entertainment to the area. Quite regularly there are events happening at 5T and you can almost always see performers whilst walking through CityWalk. And even when there are no events, the background music is always new and hip.

I think what needs to be done is for businesses come up with some new nightlife ideas. Infusion Lounge did an excellent job at bringing in the younger crowd into CityWalk as that place always seems to be hopping. There needs to be a business that brings in guests of all ages.

Do any of you have any of some entertainment you would like to see at CityWalk? 

Dave and Busters at Hollywood/Highland gets a lot of walk in business. As we all agree, parking is an issue at USH. There just isn't any walk in business op on the hill. It is a destination. Red Line isn't very convenient - cheaper than parking but LA just isn't a public transportation city. I wonder what will bring locals. I'm sure they do too.

CityWalk seems like it lacks direction. All these closures and the lack of a cohesive theme make me wonder what Universal's trying to achieve.

Removing a shoe store and a toy store in favor of a larger shoe store doesn't seem like they have a comprehensive plan in place.

Reactions: Wesker69
I would like to see a hotel at Citywalk, I know it sounds weird, but that would inspire new entertainment options because there will be many people who won't leave at the end of the night.

Sadly, I think Infusion Lounge brought in the wrong crowd for Citywalk.  I know its all about money, but the nightclubs are a rough spot considering the heavy crime in recent years.

I think Citywalk could use more destination shops rather than high end art and purses. Get rid of the mall shops and focus on dining and unique experiences.

They should add themed restaurant & entertainment options. I haven't looked into it that much, but something like that one "Jekyll & Hyde" club/bar thing which I believe is in NY.. that would be cool.

The problem with Citywalk is that ALMOST everything closes by like 10pm as well, except for a few locations.

The problem with Citywalk is that ALMOST everything closes by like 10pm as well, except for a few locations.
The music automatically stops at the scheduled close time for CW for that day. Technically CityWalk doesn't close. You can get into it after hours. However, you won't be able to do anything unless you go to a still-open business, and don't even think that you will be able to walk around. After it "closes" security comes around and begins to flush people out.

None of the businesses have an enforced close time, but they all have an "encouraged" close time. But because getting visitors into the store after CW closes is so difficult, most just close the at the time CW does. I don't know what they could do to bring in more of a night-life to the place, but I feel like it would be tricky. 

Take the concerts and DJs, for example. Those are quite popular, but do you ever wonder why they end early (around 9pm)? You guessed it! Noise complaints. Ever wonder why CW never has any of those loud-ass concerts anymore that would draw thousands to the venue to see semi-famous groups perform? Noise. 

Part of the problem I think with CityWalk itself is that it is unable to do anything too late because of noise restrictions on it. If there's a concert going on and the place gets going but has to end at 9 or 9:30, people aren't going to walk around afterwords they're just going to leave. If there's a concert that starts a little bit later and ends a little later, it would become more of a late-night-type of event where people may go on a date to see it, eat at a restaurant then spend the rest of the evening watching it. Instead of arriving, walking around, watching the performance for a little, then leaving. 

Just my observation.

-CW

Reactions: Stylowtrix
Please explain. If security flushes people out and doesn't let them walk around doesn't that make CityWalk technically closed? Sure there are no locked doors or gates but security keeps the public out.
Oh yes sorry. I meant close as in you can still make it onto the property and go into CityWalk, but unless you have business being there or you work there, you will most likely be asked to leave, if you're seen. 

Sorry for the confusion.

-CW

Fountains still in progress.  I'm still amazed at how complicated they are.  Look at that second photo--how do workers even move around in all that?  Remarkable.

Citywalk_010916_1.jpg
Citywalk_010916_2.jpg

The put-your-face-on-a-magazine-cover station is gone.

Citywalk_010916_3.jpg

Finally seeing some work on LudoBird.

Citywalk_010916_4.jpg

yeah that is going to be an issue if they don't fix that rule when Potter is opening up. people would get in for free if they were smart ad got there before the parking guys did. 

Reactions: CityWalk