Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Detective Pikachu

While I see Pikachu opening to $75-80M domestically, I see it opening to second place. I think Endgame is still gonna be dominant through it’s opening weekend.

I think this film may not do as well as people are thinking internationally.

I checked the theaters here for Saturday as well as in Japan since I will be there Sunday and the theatres are indudated mainly for Avengers.

Korea at the biggest theater in Seoul they only have 9 showings. This same theater also have 4 showings of Pan's Labrinyth just for comparison purposes.

In Japan, Detective Conan has more screenings in quite a few theaters than Detective Pikachu but most are being used for Avengers.

I think this film may not do as well as people are thinking internationally.

I checked the theaters here for Saturday as well as in Japan since I will be there Sunday and the theatres are indudated mainly for Avengers.

Korea at the biggest theater in Seoul they only have 9 showings. This same theater also have 4 showings of Pan's Labrinyth just for comparison purposes.

In Japan, Detective Conan has more screenings in quite a few theaters than Detective Pikachu but most are being used for Avengers.

One could argue in a sense, as Avengers is selling like hotcakes right now; and with other films outside of Detective Pikachu releasing in May, that there'd have to be something to happen.

I'm going to bet, that the thing that gets this film more successful than people may think, is the word of mouth. Especially with how video game films are usually seen as, I could honestly see this become a Jumanji scenario of people continuing to support it, due to how positive the film is being received.

Last edited:
One could argue in a sense, as Avengers is selling like hotcakes right now; and with other films outside of Detective Pikachu releasing in May, that there'd have to be something to happen.

I'm going to bet, that the thing that gets this film more successful than people may think, is the word of mouth. Especially with how video game films are usually seen as, I could honestly see this become a Jumanji scenario of people continuing to support it, due to how positive the film is being received.
Difference is though, Pikachu is opening during the summer movie rush. Jumanji had virtually no competition, so the two aren’t apples to apples.

Comic book movies are known for their high drop-off after the first weekend.

Since Endgame was such a beast in its first weekend, I think it'll show a larger drop-off than most because everyone's seen it already and it's a THREE HOUR time commitment.

It'll be super interesting to see how much Endgame makes this weekend. I really hope Pikachu beats it in its first weekend because I need more Pokemon movies in my life

Comic book movies are known for their high drop-off after the first weekend.

Since Endgame was such a beast in its first weekend, I think it'll show a larger drop-off than most because everyone's seen it already and it's a THREE HOUR time commitment.

It'll be super interesting to see how much Endgame makes this weekend. I really hope Pikachu beats it in its first weekend because I need more Pokemon movies in my life

I don't think the film is going to drop as much, especially considering the only real competition this weekend being 3 small films; but it should be very interesting to watch.

For me, I do think Detective Pikachu will do gangbusters, especially on the long-term. But I do think it's going to be at maximum for opening weekend, at around the 60-70 million for US.

I'll take that bet. It'll make 80 mill easy

Original tracking in March had it 80 Mil and higher but in April it cooled down to at least 50 mil and expectation of decent legs with not abnormal drops.

Using my analysis, I'm using number of screenings on sale on Fandango now at large multiplexes and seeing how many seats are still available. When an AMC cinema with 24 screens only has a total of 5 showing on the Saturday and only one is in 3D on the Saturday after opening with none close to selling out, it doesn't bode well for that 80 mil.

The first bits of tracking are in for summer’s second preordained mega-movie. Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Pokemon: Detective Pikachu is tracking for a Fri-Sun debut weekend of at least $50 million when it opens in North America (and much of the world) on May 10. Yes, that’s a lot lower than the $90 million predicted over at BoxOffice.com, but A) that site tends to guestimate quite early while emphasizing social media buzz, B) they are both sometimes very wrong (Mary Poppins Returns) and sometimes very right (Captain Marvel) and C) I’m personally expecting buzz to grow exponentially (presuming the movie is at least halfway decent) once the Endgame madness dies down.

I don't think the film is going to drop as much, especially considering the only real competition this weekend being 3 small films; but it should be very interesting to watch.

For me, I do think Detective Pikachu will do gangbusters, especially on the long-term. But I do think it's going to be at maximum for opening weekend, at around the 60-70 million for US.
The amount of people I know that HAVENT seen Endgame due to not being able to find a showing that works for them actually boggles my mind considering how much it made opening weekend.

I think Endgame can pull $170-180M and be at only a roughly 50-55% drop, which would be a great hold imo considering the huge opening.

I'll take that bet. It'll make 80 mill easy
It can make $80M and still come in behind Endgame, which could take in $85-90M. But I think Pikachu comes on around $65-70M and Endgame around $80M.

Detective Pikachu:68% Fresh
6.3/10 average critic score

This one just feels like a venal money grab from a mega corporation. You've played Pokémon Go, right? Call this one Pokémon Don't Go.
The inspired casting of the Deadpool actor transforms this from an average Pokémon movie into fun family fare.
Your feelings about "Pokemon: Detective Pikachu" probably hinge on if you can tell a Squirtle from a Bulbasaur. No? Then you might not care one Jigglypuff.

Metacritic score: 49
Majority of reviews mixed

An aggressively cute family film that’s also a spectacle-driven sci-fi noir-mystery with hints of Blade Runnerand the third act of every Marvel movie, this adaptation of the popular 2016 video game throws everything at the audience with such vehemence that the sum effect is overwhelming more than it is entertaining. Detective Pikachu has real vision, but too often director Rob Letterman seems to have cobbled it together from disparate influences — the film is muscularly constructed, yet oddly hollow.