Detective Pikachu | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Detective Pikachu

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know Ryan Reynolds is voicing Pikachu so I shouldn’t be surprised, but I still was at how much his Pikachu seemed like a PG Deadpool.

This is not a knock. I really loved the personality he gave the character.

Reactions: Mike S
Yeah, except the “shove it” part lol. I guess the point is they aren’t pandering to kids at all which is great.

But that's still a complex joke, it could be a simple gag but it plays into aspects of Mr Mime and this Pikachu. Everything seems just a little deeper, better shot, and more interesting than other kids movies. I'm sold.

Reactions: Clive and Mike S
But that's still a complex joke, it could be a simple gag but it plays into aspects of Mr Mime and this Pikachu. Everything seems just a little deeper, better shot, and more interesting than other kids movies. I'm sold.

Its pulling the exact same humor from the game which may make it a hit...but it may go too deep in pokemon knowledge/lore for some.

Dr1b6RIVsAAEe2-.jpg

From a IGN visit..

Another thing, Mark Sanger, the film editor for Detective Pikachu; has unveiled that the film was shot not with digital, but full 35mm cinematography by John Mathieson

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicia and Mike S

Dr1b6RIVsAAEe2-.jpg

From a IGN visit..

Another thing, Mark Sanger, the film editor for Detective Pikachu; has unveiled that the film was shot not with digital, but full 35mm cinematography by John Mathieson

Seems like we finally have a video game movie that’s attempting to be as faithful as possible to the source material. Who could’ve thought that would work out so well.

The movie looks like a good film.

Looks to me like a good adventure family film that doesn’t treat the audience like babies. Reminiscent of family classics of the 1980s, but with adventure elements of the 1990s, and a classic detective story style format as the backbone.

Even if no one even knew what Pokémon were, and the movie existed on its own, I feel like this still looks like a good movie. Not just a good video game movie.

Imagine this coming out in 1986, the story of a kid and his little monster partner that only he can understand, working together to solve a mystery in a weird city where people and monsters co-exist. Sounds like fun to me, (someone who doesn’t care at all about Pokémon).

Yeah. So-far, Testing of the film has apparently gone better than quite a few expected, and if Goosebumps is an example of the quality that Rob can have for adapting..strange material, we are in good hands for Detective Pikachu.

In a fun story, RJ-Palmer, famous for a lot of the "realistic" Pokemon fan-work, got contacted and is apart of Detective Pikachu as a Concept Artist.

Alex Hirsch (creator of Gravity Falls) has officially said he hasn’t nothing to do with this movie.

Makes me sad. Still excited for the movie. Just a little less.

The movie looks like a good film.

Looks to me like a good adventure family film that doesn’t treat the audience like babies. Reminiscent of family classics of the 1980s, but with adventure elements of the 1990s, and a classic detective story style format as the backbone.

Even if no one even knew what Pokémon were, and the movie existed on its own, I feel like this still looks like a good movie. Not just a good video game movie.

Imagine this coming out in 1986, the story of a kid and his little monster partner that only he can understand, working together to solve a mystery in a weird city where people and monsters co-exist. Sounds like fun to me, (someone who doesn’t care at all about Pokémon).
You mean Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Just to bring this up...

I went to go to the Fathom screening of The Power of Us for a few..research reasons, and they had a portion that brought in Letterfield in to talk a quick bit of Detective Pikachu.

It was brief after all, but they showed off some BTS footage that hasn't gotten out yet, as Letterman went on to say a few words.

He did go on, addressing the fact of wanting to keep to what made Pokemon iconic, but did address that it is going to be aimed as a somewhat "gateway" to the series Proper.

As far as BTS, most of it was on roofs or in the forests, but one was on a cliffside with the second lead looking down.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyborgDinosaur
Just to bring this up...

I went to go to the Fathom screening of The Power of Us for a few..research reasons, and they had a portion that brought in Letterfield in to talk a quick bit of Detective Pikachu.

It was brief after all, but they showed off some BTS footage that hasn't gotten out yet, as Letterfield went on to say a few words.

He did go on, addressing the fact of wanting to keep to what made Pokemon iconic, but did address that it is going to be aimed as a somewhat "gateway" to the series Proper.

As far as BTS, most of it was on roofs or in the forests, but one was on a cliffside with the second lead looking down.

i think you mean Rob Letterman...i was so confused reading this.

i think you mean Rob Letterman...i was so confused reading this.

Pardon me on that..I was more in a rush, but did want to get something new from it.

It seems more from the tones that Rob had; that he has a lot of respect and care for the material. But, as I mentioned in the post; does not want it to go to being something that's completely for the fans.

As far as the BTS, to pinnote it from memory
  • Cliffside Shot with Justice Smith, looking down and seeming to analyze something
  • Kathryn Newton in a clearer shot of her in the forest
  • A few rooftop shots of Ryme City
  • A entrance to a building, with a logo or symbol of some sort of an E.
There was also a few BTS shots, that had the Universal Pictures logo blurred out (or atleast the Universal Globe)

Hopefully..that helps?

Last edited:
Reactions: CyborgDinosaur
Pardon me on that..I was more in a rush, but did want to get something new from it.

It seems more from the tones that Rob had; that he has a lot of respect and care for the material. But, as I mentioned in the post; does not want it to go to being something that's completely for the fans.

As far as the BTS, to pinnote it from memory
  • Cliffside Shot with Justice Smith, looking down and seeming to analyze something
  • Kathryn Newton in a clearer shot of her in the forest
  • A few rooftop shots of Ryme City
  • A entrance to a building, with a logo or symbol of some sort of an E.
There was also a few BTS shots, that had the Universal Pictures logo blurred out (or atleast the Universal Globe)

Hopefully..that helps?
That’s interesting considering they’re not involved with the movie.

That’s interesting considering they’re not involved with the movie.

Originally they were and they did send a producer to co-produce however they didn't want to add additionally funding which WB would provide so thats how the distribution switch happened. (Universal got a 2% cut of the Monsterverse by giving WB Kong distribution and I'm such this is another one of those deals as well)

IF you go back to when this project was announced all the agencies put in bids including WB but it was Legendary With Universal who won not just solely Legendary.

An interesting note, Detective Pikachu is apparently tracking rather well for China.

Well it is being made by a Chinese production/distribution company ;) but seriously though if the film overperforms in Asia and under performs everywhere else I would not expect a sequel especially with WB backing as they will not receive any cuts from China or Japan.

Well it is being made by a Chinese production/distribution company ;) but seriously though if the film overperforms in Asia and under performs everywhere else I would not expect a sequel especially with WB backing as they will not receive any cuts from China or Japan.
With all the positive buzz it’s getting it’ll have to be BAD to underperform. Like, REALLY bad.