Detective Pikachu | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Detective Pikachu

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When this film was first announced, I didn't really know what to think of it. It seemed odd basing the film off a game which is far more known on Japan then the states. (Detective Pikachu, that is.)

After seeing the trailer, I'm totally on board with this! It looks great, and thinking about it, this more self contained story could work a lot better in film then say, trying to rehash the animated series. This is looking to be a fun summer next year!

Reactions: Mike S and Nico
that looks remarkably "dark" for a Pokemon movie.

Thinking about this, and yeah; Detective Pikachu isn't exactly for kids.

In the game, while does have quite a bit of levity and humor, does take itself seriously; and has a plot that if translated as it seems for the Live Action, could be something that we haven't seen in proper Pokemon on a scale like this..arguably, since quite a few of the Pokemon Generations shorts from 2016.

If this takes off like I think it will, I hope they lean into some of the content expanded in those shorts, like perhaps Giovanni & Team Rocket. Heck, if they play smart; I hope they don't talk about Team Rocket much in this film, yet allude that they actually exist in the world.

Last edited:
Trailer is still trending #1 way ahead of Toy Story 4 but to be fair that one only has a teaser not a full trailer. We could have the first legitimately good video game movie on our hands guys if it’s as good as the trailer suggests (not including Wreck-It Ralph).

Reactions: Magic-Man
Trailer is still trending #1 way ahead of Toy Story 4 but to be fair that one only has a teaser not a full trailer.

I'd add another factor is TS4 has a constant uphill battle ahead due to most people considering TS3 such a perfect ending, a 4th film is going to be met negatively.

Reactions: Mike S
I think this is totally brilliant. There has never been a good video game to movie adaptation, fitting that Pokemon could be the first. Especially when Pokemon time and again has translated itself to many big things beyond just its video game series.

Such a weird, strange, perfect marriage of somehow making Pokemon *just* kid friendly enough, while almost invitingly aiming the film primarily at general adult audiences.

I think this movie is going to make more domestically than Fantastic Beasts...

I think this is totally brilliant. There has never been a good video game to movie adaptation, fitting that Pokemon could be the first. Especially when Pokemon time and again has translated itself to many big things beyond just its video game series.

Such a weird, strange, perfect marriage of somehow making Pokemon *just* kid friendly enough, while almost invitingly aiming the film primarily at general adult audiences.

I think this movie is going to make more domestically than Fantastic Beasts...
I can’t stop watching the trailer. It grows more on me every time. I think aiming at adults might have something to do with the fact that the generation that made Pokémon explode are adults now. Just a sneaking suspicion. Also might be why even though there’s a wide variety of Pokémon featured generation 1 is still holding a certain spot. That Mr. Mime joke was aimed squarely at the people who would understand it the most and we all know what Jigglypuff is about to do to that guy who fell asleep lol.

Reactions: Mad Dog and brianlo
I can’t stop watching the trailer. It grows more on me every time. I think aiming at adults might have something to do with the fact that the generation that made Pokémon explode are adults now. Just a sneaking suspicion. Also might be why even though there’s a wide variety of Pokémon featured generation 1 is still holding a certain spot. That Mr. Mime joke was aimed squarely at the people who would understand it the most and we all know what Jigglypuff is about to do to that guy who fell asleep lol.

It's adult through complexity, not vulgarity.

Reactions: Mike S and Clive