Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired] | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired]

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors are swirling that Doctor Strange 2 is being fast-tracked to take over GOTG 3's spot while Disney looks for an "A-lister" to direct the latter. I'm not sure why they think a big name director is necessary. If anything, Marvel fans have embraced "smaller" directors like Gunn, Taika Waititi, and the Russos because they all had specific visions with what the movies should be.

Feige must be so pissed.

This is the first time since Disney acquired Marvel that Disney has interfered with anything in a major way. Disney not only has hurt the GotG brand now by doing so, they have thrown off the timeline of MCU releases. Now swapping GotG3 for DS2 may not end up being a big deal if that's the case, but who knows.

Disney rarely - if ever - admits a mistake.

If they were going to hire Gunn back, they would have done it during the Alan Horn meeting last week.
They won't hire Gunn back as director, you're right.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gunn still somehow ends up leading the cosmic universe, as he was supposed to.

Reactions: Clive and HereWeGo
This thing just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

1.) Disney definitely cut off their nose to spite their face

2.) As a film division, they seem to have issues and Alan Horn isn’t learning from mistakes going on around him. Just look at what happened to SOLO. Who knows how much money that movie would’ve made if there wasn’t issues with the director and ultimately replaced.

3.) I truly think the Marvel/MCU brand would be better off if GOTG3 never happens at this point.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Is Dave Bautista going to act this way every single time something doesn't go his way? Why can't he just act like the other cast members of the marvel movies? even James Gunn is over it, you dont see him saying anything about it. he accepted disney's decision and moved on.... (at least publicly)
wtf is Bautista's problem? this is embarrassing, im surprised Gunn has not told him to shut up, I could see other studios wanting to avoid Bautista because of this behavior (who would wanna work with someone that freaks out like that?) actors and actresses have been blacklisted from hollywood for less... im no sure if he understands what he is doing to both his own career and to Gunn.

disney is all about their family fanbase. right?
gunn is the farthest thing from that. his content is very edgy and very adult.
There are 100 other directors they could have picked, that are not as edgy, without the baggage.
i am not conservative by the way, nor I ever claimed to be.
I never claimed anything about a conspiracy.
George Carlin made a very famous joke about Daffy Duck raping Adolf Hitler.

George Carlin also played the conductor on Shining Time Station.

Stop pretending someone can only make one kind of art.

Also, please don't make me go through your post history playing Frontierland Shootin' Arcade with conspiracy nonsense. It won't be a good look.

Reactions: Clive
Is Dave Bautista going to act this way every single time something doesn't go his way? Why can't he just act like the other cast members of the marvel movies? even James Gunn is over it, you dont see him saying anything about it. he accepted disney's decision and moved on.... (at least publicly)
wtf is Bautista's problem? this is embarrassing, im surprised Gunn has not told him to shut up, I could see other studios wanting to avoid Bautista because of this behavior (who would wanna work with someone that freaks out like that?) actors and actresses have been blacklisted from hollywood for less... im no sure if he understands what he is doing to both his own career and to Gunn.

It's called standing up for your friend's, which is something worth more than money. You know... THE WHILE POINT OF GUARDIANS.

It's called standing up for your friend's, which is something worth more than money. You know... THE WHILE POINT OF GUARDIANS.

but is that worth alienating your fan base and losing your job? is it worth spoiling a movie that millions of people are waiting for? because he's not winning anyone with keeping on with this.

the rest of the cast of guardians said their opinion when this first happened and moved on, James Gunn made his statement and moved on. right? dont you think it is more important for james gunn to have people to forget about this and move on? to have other companies hire him?

Even Disney was going to hire him back... do you think Dave Bautista's tantrums are any help? most people have already moved on to the next thing, you don't even see James Gunn's name online Except when Bautista comments on something....

come on, these things tend to die out when the next controversy happens. if anything Bautista should just be trying to work with gunn again over at DC or whatever, whatever Gunn's next project is. if Gunn gets hired for a DC movie he could have Bautista work with him. that would be smarter to do. but now Bautista might just scare studios into getting him. (which has happened to others before)

it would probably be more productive to just support James Gunn in whatever his next project is.... (And if he hates working on disney this much, Bautista Should just fully quit and leave for good. there are other talented actors that can take his place, and Bautista would be free do follow Gunn to DC if thats the case)

but is that worth alienating your fan base and losing your job? is it worth spoiling a movie that millions of people are waiting for? because he's not winning anyone with keeping on with this.

the rest of the cast of guardians said their opinion when this first happened and moved on, James Gunn made his statement and moved on. right? dont you think it is more important for james gunn to have people to forget about this and move on? to have other companies hire him?

Even Disney was going to hire him back... do you think Dave Bautista's tantrums are any help? most people have already moved on to the next thing, you don't even see James Gunn's name online Except when Bautista comments on something....

come on, these things tend to die out when the next controversy happens. if anything Bautista should just be trying to work with gunn again over at DC or whatever, whatever Gunn's next project is. if Gunn gets hired for a DC movie he could have Bautista work with him. that would be smarter to do. but now Bautista might just scare studios into getting him. (which has happened to others before)

it would probably be more productive to just support James Gunn in whatever his next project is.... (And if he hates working on disney this much, Bautista Should just fully quit and leave for good. there are other talented actors that can take his place, and Bautista would be free do follow Gunn to DC if thats the case)

Everyone chioses where their line in the sand is. This is his. I support and respect it. Remember too that Batista doesn't need Marvel. He was set for life before he set foot on his first movie set. He's doing the right thing.

Everyone chioses where their line in the sand is. This is his. I support and respect it. Remember too that Batista doesn't need Marvel. He was set for life before he set foot on his first movie set. He's doing the right thing.

AS much as Bautista Loves Gunn and wants to help him... if i was him i would be campaigning for DC to hire him for the new batman movie or something.... like, do you get what i mean? of wanting to help his friend by finding him a better job? by going With him to that new job and get cast in his movie? Imagine if Bautista said he was interested in playing a batman character and he wanted Gunn to direct it or something.... THAT would be positive support.
because it creates positive buzz,
that would manipulate the social media to talk positively about Gunn and speculate what they could do for DC

but in this 24 hour social media culture we go from controversy to controversy right? do you ever hear anyone talking about roseanne anymore? or do you even hear anyone talk about Miley Cyrus or any of other older controversies?
we have so much world coverage and so much stuff going on with twitter and facebook that we jump from one drama to the next almost weekly...

most people started to forget the James Gunn thing already, like most people don't think about Roseanne anymore. (I Know people might always be offended by what she said, maybe for life,) but as far as our social media culture goes, it becomes old news. it is what it is, every day something new floods social media. (specially with trump doing something controversial every month) im not talking about individuals like us talking about it here in our little corner of the internet, im talking about the whole social media aspect with the hashtags and the retweets,
Bautista is a big hollywood figure, he has millions of followers, when he makes a comment it moves the entire social media culture.

He makes a comment it moves the entire social media culture.

The rest of your post was a bunch of blah blah blah, but this sentence really illustrates the mistake Disney made, doubling down on Gunn's firing after the cast and fans spoke up. People are listening, and now, they have someone like Batista, who doesn't need Marvel. You want someone like him in your tent pissing out. Marvel is about to have him outside the tent pissing in.

Reactions: Clive
The rest of your post was a bunch of blah blah blah, but this sentence really illustrates the mistake Disney made, doubling down on Gunn's firing after the cast and fans spoke up. People are listening, and now, they have someone like Batista, who doesn't need Marvel. You want someone like him in your tent pissing out. Marvel is about to have him outside the tent pissing in.

you dont have to be nasty about it, i replied because you quoted me. i will never understand why the need to be nasty to someone that is willing to have a conversation with you.
dont forget that you quoted me first, i dont mind talking about stuff but you seem angry. why is that?

if bautista doesnt need marvel then he should quit and then keep on hating on disney. what better way to take revenge on disney than by leaving and making them look for a new actor. that sounds like the best revenge he could take.
seems like he cares more about Gunn than he cares about finishing these movies. he should quit and tell disney he will only come back if Gunn comes back

you dont have to be nasty about it, i replied because you quoted me. i will never understand why the need to be nasty to someone that is willing to have a conversation with you.
dont forget that you quoted me first, i dont mind talking about stuff but you seem angry. why is that?

if bautista doesnt need marvel then he should quit and then keep on hating on disney. what better way to take revenge on disney than by leaving and making them look for a new actor. that sounds like the best revenge he could take.
seems like he cares more about Gunn than he cares about finishing these movies. he should quit and tell disney he will only come back if Gunn comes back

You misunderstand me. I'm not angry or nasty, it's just that none of the rest of your post spoke to the point I was making. Apologies if I seemed nasty, I'm just not one to beat around the bush.

He may not be able to quit, contractually. There are many more moving parts than in employment you or I are familiar with. What he's doing may be all he's able to do. But I'm not interested in speculating on what could be. I'm interested in what is, and what is, is Marvel taking a PR shellacking.

Here is my..thoughts on the subject.

I don't think Guardians 3, in it's current capacity; should be moving forward. However, I don't think it's a franchise that can easily be shelved.

As it stands now, I think they won't move forward with the project, until the controversy dies down. And once it does die down, I don't think it will be the same film that James Gunn had in mind for Guardians 3.

Gunn is a remarkable director and writer. And that I do think he will find a future to where he can still do large work on the scale of Guardians, or perhaps something smaller.

At the end of the day, this is a situation to where Disney is being moronic, in every sense of the word. And that, I do think the only way they have to go now, is forward.

You misunderstand me. I'm not angry or nasty, it's just that none of the rest of your post spoke to the point I was making. Apologies if I seemed nasty, I'm just not one to beat around the bush.

He may not be able to quit, contractually. There are many more moving parts than in employment you or I are familiar with. What he's doing may be all he's able to do. But I'm not interested in speculating on what could be. I'm interested in what is, and what is, is Marvel taking a PR shellacking.

ok no worries, this thread can get heated sometimes, and this is still a controversial subject. it's cool,

Reactions: RevFreako
Status
Not open for further replies.