Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't think GotG3 will do nearly as well as prior installments if they go on with a different director as fans may boycott. And while the GP may not know any different, the fans are the ones who see the movies multiple times. If there is a large enough boycott and people stick to it, it could have a decent impact on the overall Box Office of the film.

Exactly! That's precisely why I think the best option is to just reinstate him as director. The extremely small minority that would be upset about it wouldn't be able to disrupt the box office as much as the loyal fan base would if they get a different director. Just my opinion.

IMO this is a lose-lose situation regardless of the choice Disney makes. If they don’t bring Gunn back this movie won’t be the same and will probably underperform due to fans. If they do bring him back there’s gonna be a lot of controversy since those Tweets are definitely against their companies policy. They’ve known about this forever and should’ve fired him when the first GotG was being developed so that this wouldn’t have happened.

I do like James Gunn as a writer and director but I think Disney made a decision and they should stick with it.

How much do you wanna bet that DC is going to hire him? :lol:

It also seems as of now; they will stick to the current script while the negotiations are going.

My guess, is that Warner; Universal; and Sony are all looking at this with a possibility that he could help get things going for a big IP from one of their companies. But that, they'll wait until the proceedings are done and when Gunn is out of the woods.

Gotta say the new photos of him dressed as a Priest surrounded by two girls dresses up like school girls complete with pigtails doesn't do him any favors.

He was way too comfortable riffing on pedophilia.

As for the whole thing, it's eye for a eye in the tweetverse illegal right now. He actively tweeted for Rosanne to be fired. That is what lead to this this. I find all this social media lynch mobbing on both sides distasteful but it is what it is.

Best advice, stay off social media if you value your job or keep it close to the vest among friends and that's even pushing it. My wife teaches and she will not go close to Facebook, insta, and twitter. It causes lots of issues for others in her field.

Glass houses and stones.

Gotta say the new photos of him dressed as a Priest surrounded by two girls dresses up like school girls complete with pigtails doesn't do him any favors.

He was way too comfortable riffing on pedophilia.

As for the whole thing, it's eye for a eye in the tweetverse illegal right now. He actively tweeted for Rosanne to be fired. That is what lead to this this. I find all this social media lynch mobbing on both sides distasteful but it is what it is.

Best advice, stay off social media if you value your job or keep it close to the vest among friends and that's even pushing it. My wife teaches and she will not go close to Facebook, insta, and twitter. It causes lots of issues for others in her field.

Glass houses and stones.

From what I remember reading, rumors said that disney was actually considering bringing back for another project. i dont know how true it was, but they were considering hiring him for something else within marvel.
there were articles from some legit sources that were talking about Disney trying to bring him back in some way, (it might still be gossip but the sources were legit comic websites) but now that those pics showed up, it looked like Disney is fully done with him.

when the pics you are talking about showed up, and the drama started all over again

the pictures you described were of a Themed party, the theme was "to catch a predator"

James-Gunn.png

No one really cared about those photos except for the same alt-right agitators.

This is gonna derail the entire Guardians franchise. Hope they're happy.

No one really cared about those photos except for the same alt-right agitators.

This is gonna derail the entire Guardians franchise. Hope they're happy.

do you consider everyone you dont agree with or anyone with conservative views "the Alt Right?" serious question. (do you think every single person that voted for trump is racist?)

Because that pic was being talked about by others besides this "alt right" you speak of. I can show you where it was being discussed that was not altright
im not sure why you bring up the "alt right" when those pics might have been enough to make disney change their mind (They Might have been) what does the alt right have to do with anything in here?

Last edited:
As much as I would have loved for Gunn to be able to finish this franchise, it won’t really matter too much in the grand scheme of things because the general public won’t even notice that Vol 3 has a different director. They will see that their favorite rag-tag group of guardians are back for a new film and be excited. It’s only we who follow these types of stories that will notice. And we are the minority.

As much as I would have loved for Gunn to be able to finish this franchise, it won’t really matter too much in the grand scheme of things because the general public won’t even notice that Vol 3 has a different director. They will see that their favorite rag-tag group of guardians are back for a new film and be excited. It’s only we who follow these types of stories that will notice. And we are the minority.

he might get hired by DC anyways, even if disney is completely done with him, his future seems bright. he might even get bigger offers now.

do you consider everyone you dont agree with or anyone with conservative views "the Alt Right?" serious question. (do you think every single person that voted for trump is racist?)

Because that pic was being talked about by others besides this "alt right" you speak of. I can show you where it was being discussed that was not altright
im not sure why you bring up the "alt right" when those pics might have been enough to make disney change their mind (They Might have been) what does the alt right have to do with anything in here?

EDIT: In the interest of keeping this thread open and not starting another fight, just going to remove this post. It's just not worth it.

Last edited:
So it sounds like they're going to be using Gunn's script for VOL. 3 for a variety of reasons:

- It's evidently done and ready to be shot with little or no tweaking.
- They can still hit their 2020 release date.
- They've effectively already paid for it.

I don't know exactly how Disney would attempt to thread the spin needle when answering the question of why it's acceptable for Gunn to write the movie, but not acceptable for him to direct it. But in any case, as long as his script is in play, I have every confidence the movie will still be solid, regardless of whoever they get in the director's chair.

Gunn-as-writer is substantially more important than Gunn-as-director.

Status
Not open for further replies.