Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not sure if you've used one of these systems before.

The one in London over the Thames is pretty much what has been discussed for WDW. I used it to get back to the office after an event, and it took around 30-40 mins to get 100 of us back to the office. I think there will be pinch points where you need to change lines and merge etc, but I think with some pre-boarding videos in the queue they can speed it up.

The video below was taking in 2012 when it was new and you see a wheelchair be boarded, the loading area slows down to a crawl. Tourists are not very good at boarding it and getting on with sitting down!

For wheelchairs, gondolas will be able to be pulled off the main line and loaded separately while the line continues to move. That really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
For wheelchairs, gondolas will be able to be pulled off the main line and loaded separately while the line continues to move. That really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Fingers crossed they can be pulled off to a stop.

On the Emirate Airline all the gondolas come back off the mainline for loading, and are moved around at less than walking pace. In the video I posted, you see them speed off onto the mainline, and you see a chair being wheeled onto a moving gondola.

With the volume of scooter users, especially those who can't drive them and have to get a bus driver to help them get it onto a bus, it will be interesting to see how they manage this during busy times like after Illuminations and Fantasmic.

Photo update from Chip and Co:

Photo Update on Construction of Disney Skyliner Gondola System

The Miss Caroline is adorable. Can we keep it?

9-768x576.jpg

Reactions: Coasted and Joel
I wonder if Disney will offer busses to Epcot and DHS anymore from those resorts or if it'll be supplementary. I also wonder what the transit time will be.

They won't be able to kill the buses off completely. Too many people afraid of heights will not go near these gondolas. Reduce the amount sure, but they will have to keep the route active.

They won't be able to kill the buses off completely. Too many people afraid of heights will not go near these gondolas. Reduce the amount sure, but they will have to keep the route active.
I mean, it's no different than the Monorail. I think I was reading these things will be about fifty feet up... the Monorail is sixty feet up at certain points.

I mean, it's no different than the Monorail. I think I was reading these things will be about fifty feet up... the Monorail is sixty feet up at certain points.
People will view it differently though. With the Monorail, you are on the rail so there's no chance of falling. In some peoples minds, since you are being held from above with nothing supporting you below, they will see that and say "NOPE".

Won't these be grounded during heavy storms? Daily thunder storms? High winds? Are winds a big problem in Florida?

Reactions: Coasted
Won't these be grounded during heavy storms? Daily thunder storms? High winds? Are winds a big problem in Florida?

I do suspect they're not going to be everyone's favorite during a summer storm - but they'll be fine. A tropical storm or something and they will shut down, but normal storms should be fine.

I do expect the windows/vents to leak in a matter of months though from constant opening/closing wearing away at the seals.

Edit: did some sleuthing. Even videos tagged as a gondola in a storm were very anticlimactic. Best I could find is what they do if it stops completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
I'm all confused by the construction... the path into Studios doesn't lead to where the station is supposed to be... and the Pop/Art station is supposed to be on the bridge.. and while I know it needs some work on the other side, why are all the barges over there?

I'm all confused by the construction... the path into Studios doesn't lead to where the station is supposed to be... and the Pop/Art station is supposed to be on the bridge.. and while I know it needs some work on the other side, why are all the barges over there?
The pop station is at the bridge... they are just using the area pictured as a laydown yard and they are bringing equipment over to build by boat at the moment. A lot like they built many of the Disney Springs restaurants when there was heavy construction going on there.

And the DHS station is a straight shot from what you are seeing in that picture.

Reactions: JoeCamel