Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion) | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
this is Disney...after Toy Story and Star Wars are done, they will probably be taking a siesta from all the money spent.
I won't let them off the hook that easily. After all that's been lost at this park, not to mention the lack of continued investment over the years, after those two lands are done they will still need about 5-8 more rides to really make this a full day park.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I won't let them off the hook that easily. After all that's been lost at this park, not to mention the lack of continued investment over the years, after those two lands are done they will still need about 5-8 more rides to really make this a full day park.
One of the future "phases" may have morphed into a Star Wars Land expansion, but a third land is just about definite. There's still room for further major attraction expansion in Animation Courtyard as well.

Reactions: Cheezbat
One of the future "phases" may have morphed into a Star Wars Land expansion, but a third land is just about definite. There's still room for further major attraction expansion in Animation Courtyard as well.

Agreed. They need a phase 3. Phase 1 and 2 are not fixing the park. It goes a long way to helping it, but it still has issues. So they need at least a phase 3 or this park is not going to be a full day after the initial crowds and long lines die down. I think they know this. But I can see them moving to Epcot for a couple years then come back to this.

Agreed. They need a phase 3. Phase 1 and 2 are not fixing the park. It goes a long way to helping it, but it still has issues. So they need at least a phase 3 or this park is not going to be a full day after the initial crowds and long lines die down. I think they know this. But I can see them moving to Epcot for a couple years then come back to this.
Yeah, they will definitely need more after these expansions. And the parks will be four or five years older by then, so who knows what present attractions will be out of date or in such bad shape they need replaced by then. As so many have said, WDW waited soooo long to do meaningful expansions and replacements they're so far behind the eight ball that once they think they caught up, by the time stuff is completed, they'll be behind again. It's a vicious cycle really hard to get out of, once it's started. I kind of agree with Rhino, that they will take a siesta after all the money is spent. Recent history points in that direction. And that will truly be a bad decision if that's the course they take. When they built such a "gigantic" resort of 6 parks, tens of thousands of hotel rooms, a huge shopping mall, etc., expensive road & infrastructure network, they put themselves in the position of having to spend a ton of money on continual capital investment, expansion, renewal. And if you go on the cheap for a few years, or a decade or so, then it all catches up.

We can all agree that park needs a phase 3, but If these two expansions don't bring the numbers they need, then I would imagine they will put a stop to any further development.
Sadly, I think your thoughts are correct.... Adding to that, if the expansion budgets continue to spiral out of control they will need even larger attendance, and more important,huge increases in customer spending, to pay for the costs. I'd imagine if the two Star Wars expansions end up over budget in the Pandora vicinity, future expansions will be in jeopardy. Can they revamp & fix Imagineering in this short, but crucial, time frame. Good luck to that.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
We can all agree that park needs a phase 3, but If these two expansions don't bring the numbers they need, then I would imagine they will put a stop to any further development.
TS may not bring huge numbers, but SW will make that not even matter once the park gets slammed with Potter-esque crowds.

Reactions: IzzyB
I'm surprised that, other than the Star Wars fireworks, there's no more rumblings of any quick fixes for the park in the meantime, like a new show, parade, or additional entertainment. I would think they'd be scrambling.

I'm surprised that, other than the Star Wars fireworks, there's no more rumblings of any quick fixes for the park in the meantime, like a new show, parade, or additional entertainment. I would think they'd be scrambling.
With all the construction, a new parade just wouldn't fit. Plus the SW stuff they're doing now seems to be enough of a draw (for the time being at least).

There actually will be a new daily show on the Center Stage and a March of the First Order, led by Captain Phasma.

The show starts April 4th.

Heck, they're advertising the he _ _ out of the Star Wars glorified store (Encounter)& fireworks plus show, fooling the general public into thinking that's the expansion. It's all over the place in print & media advertising. And people are buying it. Disney management is weak in a lot of things. But their Marketing Dept. is the best. They're like PT Barnum. Why spend money when you can do the cheap and get them in the house.

Heck, they're advertising the he _ _ out of the Star Wars glorified store (Encounter)& fireworks plus show, fooling the general public into thinking that's the expansion. It's all over the place in print & media advertising. And people are buying it. Disney management is weak in a lot of things. But their Marketing Dept. is the best. They're like PT Barnum. Why spend money when you can do the cheap and get them in the house.

It IS the place Where Star Wars Lives..

Yeah, they will definitely need more after these expansions. And the parks will be four or five years older by then, so who knows what present attractions will be out of date or in such bad shape they need replaced by then. As so many have said, WDW waited soooo long to do meaningful expansions and replacements they're so far behind the eight ball that once they think they caught up, by the time stuff is completed, they'll be behind again. It's a vicious cycle really hard to get out of, once it's started. I kind of agree with Rhino, that they will take a siesta after all the money is spent. Recent history points in that direction. And that will truly be a bad decision if that's the course they take. When they built such a "gigantic" resort of 6 parks, tens of thousands of hotel rooms, a huge shopping mall, etc., expensive road & infrastructure network, they put themselves in the position of having to spend a ton of money on continual capital investment, expansion, renewal. And if you go on the cheap for a few years, or a decade or so, then it all catches up.

You know history does show a lot, but look at all the active construction they will have going on come April:

Disney Springs
Pandora
AK Night time (it will end at the end of April though)
SWL
TSL
TS 3rd track
Soarin (Hoping this end in May/June)
Frozen (Hoping this end in May/June)

So that is a lot of construction at once. By end of summer it will reduce to

Disney Springs
Pandora
SWL
TSL

But that is still 3 lands under construction. I would think with this kind of pace, that they can't possibly just then go, we are going to stop and sit on our hands again. I would think they have got to move to Epcot or do phase 3 in DHS. Because the reason this much construction is going on is they realize they have major holes that are causing them major pain points operationally. So I have got to think we won't go back to zero construction on the property until at least 2025. Do I think they will fix all their holes, nope, because as you said other stuff is aging. But I do see them fixing more than are in the works right now.

You know history does show a lot, but look at all the active construction they will have going on come April:

Disney Springs
Pandora
AK Night time (it will end at the end of April though)
SWL
TSL
TS 3rd track
Soarin (Hoping this end in May/June)
Frozen (Hoping this end in May/June)

So that is a lot of construction at once. By end of summer it will reduce to

Disney Springs
Pandora
SWL
TSL

But that is still 3 lands under construction. I would think with this kind of pace, that they can't possibly just then go, we are going to stop and sit on our hands again. I would think they have got to move to Epcot or do phase 3 in DHS. Because the reason this much construction is going on is they realize they have major holes that are causing them major pain points operationally. So I have got to think we won't go back to zero construction on the property until at least 2025. Do I think they will fix all their holes, nope, because as you said other stuff is aging. But I do see them fixing more than are in the works right now.
A lot will depend on who is the CEO then and what is his business opinion of the theme parks . Whatever happens, the times they will be interesting.

A lot will depend on who is the CEO then and what is his business opinion of the theme parks . Whatever happens, the times they will be interesting.

Very true. They could totally switch directions with a new CEO. I just remember hearing about operations really putting up a fight because of the sad shape of DHS. Which is why I think from an operational side they would push for more capacity at Epcot and DHS.

Very true. They could totally switch directions with a new CEO. I just remember hearing about operations really putting up a fight because of the sad shape of DHS. Which is why I think from an operational side they would push for more capacity at Epcot and DHS.
Totally agree. Iger comes from the media division with little theme park experience or interest. The neglect of the WDW theme parks, until this point where they were basically forced into expansions by Universal's rise, largely reflects his lack of theme park love. Heck, it was only 7 or 8 years ago where they were looking to sell them off. If, after Staggs (since he's been pegged as Iger's replacement) takes over, since he's not real theme park oriented either, he falters, perhaps he'll get replaced by someone that has some theme park passion.

Totally agree. Iger comes from the media division with little theme park experience or interest. The neglect of the WDW theme parks, until this point where they were basically forced into expansions by Universal's rise, largely reflects his lack of theme park love. Heck, it was only 7 or 8 years ago where they were looking to sell them off. If, after Staggs (since he's been pegged as Iger's replacement) takes over, since he's not real theme park oriented either, he falters, perhaps he'll get replaced by someone that has some theme park passion.

Disney selling off operations and management of the domestic parks would be good, depending on who would buy them.

Reactions: Mad Dog and IzzyB
Disney selling off operations and management of the domestic parks would be good, depending on who would buy them.
Totally agree. If a decent investor bought them and would keep an early Eisner years level of capital improvements in the park, instead of sucking most of the profits out, a new Disney parks renaissance could occur. Seems like Disney corp just uses the USA parks as a cash cow for their other stuff. Disney USA theme parks could be so much more. They have a great brand name at this point in time and a fantastic Marketing department. But you can live off of your rep for only so long.