Dolittle (2019 film) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Dolittle (2019 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, no shock they put it in January then. I mean really, with this cast there couldn't be something better looking? And why change the name to "Dolittle"? The Voyage Of Dr Dolittle sounded way more interesting lol

Reactions: tankart150
The production was an absolute trainwreck, so none of this is to surprising. A shame, since the original script was pretty good.

Reactions: tankart150
Looking like a tough recent downward stretch for Universal films. Some really bad decisions. Hopefully these losses don't effect the Theme Parks budgets down the line.

Reactions: Clive
I think this film may do OK, because it is the only children's movie coming out in January. There is literally no competition. Remember, kids aren't looking for high art, they want cute funny animals.

And I would never bet against RDJ.

Looking like a tough recent downward stretch for Universal films. Some really bad decisions. Hopefully these losses don't effect the Theme Parks budgets down the line.
Here’s to hoping 1917 breaks out huge for them and wins some Oscars. $100 mil budget but looking at around a $25 mil opening and will likely have legs since nothing is opening in January really

Reactions: Mad Dog
And I would never bet against RDJ.
I would.

Outside of Sherlock Holmes, RDJ never found any roles where the audience had a keen interest in him. The days of the “movie star” driving people out to go see a film are largely over, with maybe the exception of Dwayne Johnson.

I think people liked RDJ as Tony Stark. He was perfect casting. But just because they liked him as Tony doesn’t mean people care about the other stuff he’s doing. It’s probably best he starts trying to do prestige films and really show off his chops while hopefully winning some awards.

Reactions: Clive
I would.

Outside of Sherlock Holmes, RDJ never found any roles where the audience had a keen interest in him outside of the MCU in the past 15 years or so.

I think people liked RDJ as Tony Stark. He was perfect casting. But just because they liked him as Tony doesn’t mean people care about the other stuff he’s doing. It’s probably best he starts trying to do prestige films and really show off his chops while hopefully winning some awards.
`

Part of the reason this got made was because it was a RDJ passion project which is why he is producing it.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I would.

Outside of Sherlock Holmes, RDJ never found any roles where the audience had a keen interest in him outside of the MCU in the past 15 years or so.

He's already been nominated for 2 Oscars for Chaplin and Tropic Thunder.

`

Part of the reason this got made was because it was a RDJ passion project which is why he is producing it.
And that’s cool, but it’s gonna bomb. Sucks in some respect since the movie has a great voice cast and what looks to be impressive CGI, but a studio doesn’t release a movie they believe in in January unless it’s an awards film (like 1917).

He's already been nominated for 2 Oscars for Chaplin and Tropic Thunder.
He hasn’t won, however.

I didn’t really mean it as much as a suggestion as it sounded, but more in the way that that’s how I think he will reinvent himself in the coming years. Much like Matthew McConaughey did.

And that’s cool, but it’s gonna bomb. Sucks in some respect since the movie has a great voice cast and what looks to be impressive CGI, but a studio doesn’t release a movie they believe in in January unless it’s an awards film (like 1917).

He hasn’t won, however.

I didn’t really mean it as much as a suggestion as it sounded, but more in the way that that’s how I think he will reinvent himself in the coming years. Much like Matthew McConaughey did.

No doubt about it, he has the talent but he hasn’t found a good project to showcase in a while.

With the vast sum of money he has made, he’s entitled to make passion projects like this but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be an enjoyable film. He needs to team up with a talented director.

No doubt about it, he has the talent but he hasn’t found a good project to showcase in a while.

With the vast sum of money he has made, he’s entitled to make passion projects like this but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be an enjoyable film. He needs to team up with a talented director.
He’s entitled to, but for how long? If this film flops in a big way (which seems likely considering the budget), no studio is gonna want to just make a movie for the sake of making a movie because RDJ wanted to. Just because he’s listed as a producer doesn’t mean the studio doesn’t lose money.