Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dragons Not Dueling?

This isn't a tragedy by any means. Universal did kinda cop-out though by just giving up and not testing solutions.

It is a shame, but are we absolutely sure they won't be testing solutions sometime in the future? Perhaps they felt they simply didn't have time. You know if they didn't do something and another person got hurt, there would be a massive lawsuit....

It is a shame, but are we absolutely sure they won't be testing solutions sometime in the future? Perhaps they felt they simply didn't have time. You know if they didn't do something and another person got hurt, there would be a massive lawsuit....

But testing solutions would be doing something. I don't know. Universal must have good reasons to kill the dueling, though. I just hope this whole "never duel again" thing is a little melodramatic. I've never been on it and I have always been fascinated by the loops.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... :violin:

Haha. Yeeeeah.

@Hairyleo, let's pretend another guy was hit in the eye by...I dunno. A quarter or a small rock. He loses that eye. He asks Universal why the heck they weren't doing anything to protect him after the first incident. Universal says, "Oh, but we are. We're trying out this new net. Clearly it just didn't work. Sorry about that." That's not gonna stop this guy from suing. It just won't fly. They had to SOLVE the problem, not test out possible solutions using Joe Schmo as a guinea pig. I feel like Universal HAD to stop the dueling to protect not only their customers, but also themselves. :shrug:

Haha. Yeeeeah.

@Hairyleo, let's pretend another guy was hit in the eye by...I dunno. A quarter or a small rock. He loses that eye. He asks Universal why the heck they weren't doing anything to protect him after the first incident. Universal says, "Oh, but we are. We're trying out this new net. Clearly it just didn't work. Sorry about that." That's not gonna stop this guy from suing. It just won't fly. They had to SOLVE the problem, not test out possible solutions using Joe Schmo as a guinea pig. I feel like Universal HAD to stop the dueling to protect not only their customers, but also themselves. :shrug:

Very good point. But I still believe that if they just put a big net between the dueling loops, there would be no more incidents. No testing required, unless they just wanted to be really sure and did some testing after hours.

In all honesty, all UO had to do was erect 2 poles on either side of the near miss loop and stretch a mesh inbetween them, the same one used in paintball fields, and call it a day.

Its not a difficult solution, they make the net taught enough as to not interfere with either coaster including wind holes on either side of where the coasters pass so nothing splits through and thats it.

Doesn't take a genius to figure this one out.

This would take them a week to erect, tops.

inflatable_paintball_field_inflatable_paintball_arena.jpg

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but isn't this the kind of thing people would ream Disney for? But it's NBD if Universal does it? :shrug:

In all honesty, all UO had to do was erect 2 poles on either side of the near miss loop and stretch a mesh inbetween them, the same one used in paintball fields, and call it a day.

Its not a difficult solution, they make the net taught enough as to not interfere with either coaster including wind holes on either side of where the coasters pass so nothing splits through and thats it.

Doesn't take a genius to figure this one out.

This would take them a week to erect, tops.

inflatable_paintball_field_inflatable_paintball_arena.jpg

Then we would have the argument, " I would rather have no dueling then that ugly net!" :lol:

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but isn't this the kind of thing people would ream Disney for? But it's NBD if Universal does it? :shrug:

Please elaborate on your thoughts i'm missing something here.

Then we would have the argument, " I would rather have no dueling then that ugly net!" :lol:

Please elaborate on your thoughts i'm missing something here.

Well I just mean people bash today's Disney because they seemingly don't care as much about the details or return guests anymore. Effects fall by the wayside if they are deemed not important. Which seems to be what happened here. I realize stupidity forced the hand of Universal to make a change, but they decided not to take any action and simply let the Dragon's never duel again. That's bad show, and I think, and I could be crazy here, that people would jump on Disney for this sort of thing.

Well I just mean people bash today's Disney because they seemingly don't care as much about the details or return guests anymore. Effects fall by the wayside if they are deemed not important. Which seems to be what happened here. I realize stupidity forced the hand of Universal to make a change, but they decided not to take any action and simply let the Dragon's never duel again. That's bad show, and I think, and I could be crazy here, that people would jump on Disney for this sort of thing.

Not to mention effects throughout the parks. Yeah, I'm looking at you guys, Twister and Poseidon. :inquisitive:

I'd hardly call them comparable. Disney has let a multitude of effects go by the wayside because they refuse to pay for them to be fixed or refuse to pay for the staff to keep them running. This was done for safety.

Could they put a giant net up? Sure. But guess what? Then you still wouldn't have the dueling aspects because the net would block your view and make it pretty obvious you wouldn't be almost colliding. Also, it would be supremely ugly looking.

This was a lose-lose situation, unfortunately. There's really nothing that could be done to fix the situation in a satisfactory way.

--- Update ---

Not to mention effects throughout the parks. Yeah, I'm looking at you guys, Twister and Poseidon. :inquisitive:

What's broken in Poseidon?

I'd hardly call them comparable. Disney has let a multitude of effects go by the wayside because they refuse to pay for them to be fixed or refuse to pay for the staff to keep them running. This was done for safety.

Could they put a giant net up? Sure. But guess what? Then you still wouldn't have the dueling aspects because the net would block your view and make it pretty obvious you wouldn't be almost colliding. Also, it would be supremely ugly looking.

This was a lose-lose situation, unfortunately. There's really nothing that could be done to fix the situation in a satisfactory way.

First of all, I never meant that this was equal to everything people complain about when it comes to Disney. Simply that it is in the same vein. And no. A change had to be made for safety, but the solution was not dictated just by safety. And there is some way they could theme the net to fit in. Like add fake foliage around it and around the area. That would ensure they had better control of where it grew so it didn't interfere with the coaster. It also would make the coaster more intense and visually appealing. But, like with the new queue, they went cheap and got away with it.

And there is some way they could theme the net to fit in. Like add fake foliage around it and around the area. That would ensure they had better control of where it grew so it didn't interfere with the coaster.

Doesn't change the fact that the net that would be necessary to go between the coasters that would have to have such small holes that it would still destroy the near miss illusion. And you can't put a net between the space where both trains go over/under each other without it completely ruining the illusion or looking ugly as sin.

Either way the effect is gonna be gone. This way isn't ugly.

The water vortex effect that attendees would walk through. Though, its been awhile since I have heard about complaints so maybe its been turned back on?

It's been back on since Potter opened.

Doesn't change the fact that the net that would be necessary to go between the coasters that would have to have such small holes that it would still destroy the near miss illusion. And you can't put a net between the space where both trains go over/under each other without it completely ruining the illusion or looking ugly as sin.

Either way the effect is gonna be gone. This way isn't ugly.

I'm sorry, but it's Universal Creatives's jobs to solve problems like this. And I don't think they really tried.