Dragons Not Dueling? | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Dragons Not Dueling?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sorry...but this is a complete overreaction, IMO. The coasters are still the best inverted coasters I've ever been on, and after riding the non-dueling version, I barely noticed a difference.

I said that I liked the coasters even taken separately, just that when they're non-dueling they are less enjoyable and fall a bit from among my most favorite coasters. Take Montu just down the road. The original Dragons experience was more exhilarating than Montu with the close calls and train interaction, but are you really saying either of the dragons is a better coaster than Montu? I know it's personal preference, but the dueling was a big deal with me. It should be a big deal. It was Hulk's launch. It was Poseidon's water vortex. It's way more than Everest's Yeti. I definitely noticed the other train when they were dueling.

Why not put a big clear plexiglass barrier up at the looping section? Yes it would be unsightly, but at least we could have the dueling back. There is plenty of clearance if you realize that the barrier would only have to go up the first 50-60 degrees or so of the loop. Once you are "toe to toe" anything thrown would not travel toward the other train, unless you throw strait down, in which case it would not be traveling fast enough to hurt anything. The reason the person was injured was because of the combined speeds of the trains traveling directly toward each other and the barrier wouldn't have to be any closer to the riders at that point than any other scenery or ride supports. I realize there are other near miss points on the ride, but i just don't see any type of a barrier necessary there, the looping section is the only dangerous point IMO.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Why not put a big clear plexiglass barrier up at the looping section? Yes it would be unsightly, but at least we could have the dueling back. There is plenty of clearance if you realize that the barrier would only have to go up the first 50-60 degrees or so of the loop. Once you are "toe to toe" anything thrown would not travel toward the other train, unless you throw strait down, in which case it would not be traveling fast enough to hurt anything. The reason the person was injured was because of the combined speeds of the trains traveling directly toward each other and the barrier wouldn't have to be any closer to the riders at that point than any other scenery or ride supports. I realize there are other near miss points on the ride, but i just don't see any type of a barrier necessary there, the looping section is the only dangerous point IMO.

The concept is good, but a net would be a little easier on the eyes, and could be themed to work a little better. I just don't know why Universal didn't do something like this. Sure, non-dueling saves money, but really? Nets would cost a few hundred bucks.

The concept is good, but a net would be a little easier on the eyes, and could be themed to work a little better. I just don't know why Universal didn't do something like this. Sure, non-dueling saves money, but really? Nets would cost a few hundred bucks.

I thought about this, but the netting would have to be super fine to stop even the smallest objects from passing through. something as small as even a quarter inch diameter ball bearing would do some serious damage at those speeds. But it could work...

DC is basically 2 batmans now small Inverted Coasters. The near Misses made the ride fun to ride with out them it is just a small inverted coaster. Sorry Montu is way more intense as far as Inverted coasters go then Dueling dragons.

This is a tragedy on the scale of the BTTF Ride removal. Both were great rides that were replaced with/downgraded to mediocre experiences (hate the carnival feel of Simpsons, and Dragons is now nothing more than a memory)

This is a tragedy on the scale of the BTTF Ride removal. Both were great rides that were replaced with/downgraded to mediocre experiences (hate the carnival feel of Simpsons, and Dragons is now nothing more than a memory)

Not sure "tragedy" is the right word here... :inquisitive:

Tragedy is exactly what happened here. Even after the queue was destroyed, a horrible name change, and the ride hidden behind Potter's shadow, I still referred to these coasters as Dueling Dragons. No more. Just refer to them individually now, Fire and Ice. A sad, dark day indeed. Universal really screwed us over on this one. They let the scum win.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
They are both still great roller coasters, but the missing effect is VERY noticeable.

First time riders won't know any different, but if you've been riding for years you know exactly what is missing.

Tragedy is exactly what happened here. Even after the queue was destroyed, a horrible name change, and the ride hidden behind Potter's shadow, I still referred to these coasters as Dueling Dragons. No more. Just refer to them individually now, Fire and Ice. A sad, dark day indeed. Universal really screwed us over on this one. They let the scum win.

They let the scum win because they have to protect their customers. Would you be whining about how they "won" if it had been you hit in the eye (and then lost said eye)? Doubtful. Universal is protecting you, not SCREWING you over. I mean, really. They don't have many good options here. It's not their fault.

And I still think calling this a "tragedy" is a slap in the face to REAL tragedies. Sorry, guys, but at the end of the day this is just a roller coaster that will still be running, but without the effect of having near run-ins with another coaster. Unfortunate? Sure, for the fans. A tragedy? Not even close. In fact, Universal is trying to prevent a REAL tragedy - someone getting seriously injured.

Reactions: Clive and TSSD
They let the scum win because they have to protect their customers. Would you be whining about how they "won" if it had been you hit in the eye (and then lost said eye)? Doubtful. Universal is protecting you, not SCREWING you over. I mean, really. They don't have many good options here. It's not their fault.

And I still think calling this a "tragedy" is a slap in the face to REAL tragedies. Sorry, guys, but at the end of the day this is just a roller coaster that will still be running, but without the effect of having near run-ins with another coaster. Unfortunate? Sure, for the fans. A tragedy? Not even close. In fact, Universal is trying to prevent a REAL tragedy - someone getting seriously injured.
This. :rep:

Isn't there some way to prevent injuries, like a net? It seems a little rash to terminate a hugely popular ride's selling point over something that can be fixed. Is there no way to keep guests safe and happy?