Dragons Not Dueling? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Dragons Not Dueling?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you think about it, the dueling parts were very sparse. Their were 3, the airtime hill over the barrel roll, the 2 loops, and the corkscrews around each other. The airtime hill one was great if you were on Fire, you could see the other train swing up at you. However, if you were on Ice, it was very hard to see the other train, unless you were in the last row on the right seat and could see it approaching. The loops were great on any seat, and the corkscrews couldn't be noticed while on the ride. So really, we are only losing a brief couple of moments on the ride, but it was fun to be able to ride in different seats to see the other train. But honestly, I rode the ride because of the ride, but the dueling did set it apart.

At least Dueling was dropped from the name.

If you think about it, the dueling parts were very sparse. Their were 3, the airtime hill over the barrel roll, the 2 loops, and the corkscrews around each other. The airtime hill one was great if you were on Fire, you could see the other train swing up at you. However, if you were on Ice, it was very hard to see the other train, unless you were in the last row on the right seat and could see it approaching. The loops were great on any seat, and the corkscrews couldn't be noticed while on the ride. So really, we are only losing a brief couple of moments on the ride, but it was fun to be able to ride in different seats to see the other train. But honestly, I rode the ride because of the ride, but the dueling did set it apart.

At least Dueling was dropped from the name.

i couldnt have said it better myself.

I think technically there are 4 duels. Barrel roll/airtime hill...Loops...corkscrews...and the the last turn on ice into brakes/last inversion on fire.

I feel Fire is the only one that I'll continue to ride without dueling. Ice is too standard. But fire has the only airtime hill i've ever experienced on a suspended coaster. And the wrap around immelman maneuver before the loop is INTENSE

The only *reason* i rode ice was for the front row...for the loops. Which I feel was an incredible element, perhaps the most noteworthy experience i've had on any roller coaster.

Last edited:
how about a column of inch thick bulletproof glass that runs right up through the center of the loops! with supports from the sides. Theres got to be enough clearance for that right?

Riders can still see the oncoming train barreling towards them without the fear of being blinded by someone on the other side :thumbs:

I think technically there are 4 duels. Barrel roll/airtime hill...Loops...corkscrews...and the the last turn on ice into brakes/last inversion on fire.

Even though you can see Fire from Ice's last turn, you can in fact ONLY see Fire from Ice and not vice versa. That last turn/inversion was not designed to be a near-miss, nor does it come nearly as close as the other three. (BTW you can see the other train during the corkscrews if you look in the right direction.) However it was a cool moment on Ice to see Fire speeding away into a flip then slamming into the brakes, you know, back when the dragons dueled.

I think that a lot of you are overreacting to this in every way. Even if Dueling was still in the name Universal would still do this. The change is for your saftey and those around you. Don't bash Universal for caring about their guests. I was there yesterday and it is aparent that Universal would not be doing this unless they thought is was 100% necessary. They made constant anouncements that there could be nothing in your hands or any bags, they had someone telling everyone to hold up their hands before they chose their dragon, and the ride atendants made sure that your hand shad nothing around the restraints. Not even glasses can be held, they must be worn or in a pocket. To add to that, fire did not launch until ice had cleared the track. This isn't Universal's fault, this isn't as the result of a name change, this was done because some people seem to want to hurt other guests. They are the one's that turned this attraction into a maximum security operation. I support Universal for doing this and taking action to protect their guests.

I think that a lot of you are overreacting to this in every way. Even if Dueling was still in the name Universal would still do this. The change is for your saftey and those around you. Don't bash Universal for caring about their guests. I was there yesterday and it is aparent that Universal would not be doing this unless they thought is was 100% necessary. They made constant anouncements that there could be nothing in your hands or any bags, they had someone telling everyone to hold up their hands before they chose their dragon, and the ride atendants made sure that your hand shad nothing around the restraints. Not even glasses can be held, they must be worn or in a pocket. To add to that, fire did not launch until ice had cleared the track. This isn't Universal's fault, this isn't as the result of a name change, this was done because some people seem to want to hurt other guests. They are the one's that turned this attraction into a maximum security operation. I support Universal for doing this and taking action to protect their guests.

:hail:

I've been on the ride when it wasnt dueling in the past and it was still a lot of fun. It sucks, but it won't totally ruin the ride. Hopefully they can find a way to make them duel again. What about a net between the coasters?

Yeti, i couldn't agree more. I understand why every is annoyed, but you also have to look into the safety aspect. They can't continue to let them dual for sometime, if both incidents occurred when they do the loop. I think its something they have to do, and I respect that.

I completely understand that Universal is doing this for guest safety. I never blamed them for this happening. But I do blame them 100% for destroying the once elaborate theme of the ride. And unlike Universal, I have a choice in this matter. and I chose to visit the attraction less.

Just got back from my Universal Trip. As I feared, the Dragons were still staggered. I went on both, and surprisingly, they were still pretty thrilling. While I do miss the dueling aspect of the coasters, Dragons Challenge is still a perfectly thrilling coaster nontheless. BTW, now their asking people to either stow or keep all loose articles in their pockets, that people cannot hold onto loose articles while on the ride. Sounds to me like they added that extra part due to the incidents on the ride.

Last edited:
I completely understand that Universal is doing this for guest safety. I never blamed them for this happening. But I do blame them 100% for destroying the once elaborate theme of the ride. And unlike Universal, I have a choice in this matter. and I chose to visit the attraction less.

:rolleyes:

Excuse me for having an opinion different than everyone elses. And again, I am not saying Universal isnt right in doing this. They are. But that, combined with the crappy queue makes me wanna go on less. The ride has less draw for me now. I can go on a better suspended coaster at six flags. I go to more expensive parks for better theme and more unique rides. The ride is less special to me now.

Excuse me for having an opinion different than everyone elses. And again, I am not saying Universal isnt right in doing this. They are. But that, combined with the crappy queue makes me wanna go on less. The ride has less draw for me now. I can go on a better suspended coaster at six flags. I go to more expensive parks for better theme and more unique rides. The ride is less special to me now.

I agree. Especialy since they....well.....

:'(

Reactions: Octobers Fade