Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the warmer weather will save us, but if that's not the case I don't see how the US hospital systems won't be overrun ala Italy considering I feel like we are doing next to nothing to combat/contain it. I feel like we are seeing the most success in Asia where they are taking a very disciplined approach to it. It is a bit confusing that Iran and Italy seem to be so getting hit so heavily, yet other countries aren't seeing such devastating numbers.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Shanghai Disney is starting a phased re-opening today. Parts of Downtown Disney plus some hotel resort venues are reopening today. Theme park itself, not opened yet.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This is stupid and not my primary concern in all this...but man am I worried about cuts to EU because of a potential bad year
I don’t see why there would be any. Now show times and operating hours right now....
In many ways, I think Comcast/Universal would much rather there be a market crash/recession NOW (people have been on edge about this happening for a few years now, anyway) than for Epic Universe to open and THEN there be a huge market and tourism crash. By 2023, we should hopefully be well past this and stabilized again, which is an ideal situation when opening a new theme park.

That's of course just looking at it from a business standpoint, obviously there are much more pressing real world things to deal with right now.

I think I'm going to take advantage of the empty hotels. Going to book another trip, I just got back from a three day Universal trip and man, it was pretty empty.

Reactions: Andysol
Working in trade shows/conventions, I can tell you things are looking real bad. Had a show that was supposed to be later this month cancel in Seattle. A friend in another company had his Chicago show cancelled and he was supposed to leave this weekend.

Surprisingly, the show I’m working right now in Vegas hasn’t been cancelled, though there were serious discussions about that yesterday. It’s supposed to pull in over 130k people to the area. Mostly from North America. The Chinese and Italian delegations already cancelled their arrangements. It’s a giant construction expo that already has a lot of exhibitors’ equipment set up so I’m thinking they believe it’d be just way too difficult to arrange shipping and cancellations on this large a scale. Not a great situation in this industry right now.

Edit: Was also just texted by coworker that she just received an email saying her event was cancelled too. She was supposed to leave next week for it.
Another update: we’ve had at least a dozen more conference/trade show cancellations in the past few days. Miami, Canada, Chicago, Orlando among those cities with something cancelled. We expect more. This is a busy time of year for us, so it’s pretty unnerving. Especially for our part timers who depend on a full schedule.

In many ways, I think Comcast/Universal would much rather there be a market crash/recession NOW (people have been on edge about this happening for a few years now, anyway) than for Epic Universe to open and THEN there be a huge market and tourism crash. By 2023, we should hopefully be well past this and stabilized again, which is an ideal situation when opening a new theme park.

That's of course just looking at it from a business standpoint, obviously there are much more pressing real world things to deal with right now.
Another thing that happens in a recession is a lot of construction is mothballed or postponed so men and equipment become less expensive and more available.Got to be a silver lining here somewhere.

Edit to Add:

This may cause a wee bit of disruption to the business community

Last edited:
Another thing that happens in a recession is a lot of construction is mothballed or postponed so men and equipment become less expensive and more available.Got to be a silver lining here somewhere.

Edit to Add:

This may cause a wee bit of disruption to the business community

What does this mean for international visitors?

Theme Park Insider is running a poll...apx. 500 votes at this point in time
How is Covid-19 affecting your travel plans?

No effect at all..............................................................................................................................................................................................60%

I've put off booking trips I probably would have booked by now...............................................................................................................25%

I have cancelled trips.................................................................................................... ...............................................................................15%

In case you are visiting the park and wish are being germ-conscious due to COVID-19, you can opt-out of using the biometric finger scan at the front gates by going to Guest Relations and showing a photo ID:
Jeez. If you're going to go to guest services to wait in line to show an ID all in a prevention to not scan your finger; just don't go to the dang park.

Has Disney or Universal started putting up temporary Purel/sanitization spots yet? If not, they should.

Jeez. If you're going to go to guest services to wait in line to show an ID all in a prevention to not scan your finger; just don't go to the dang park.

Has Disney or Universal started putting up temporary Purel/sanitization spots yet? If not, they should.
Disney has, although I don't know how widespread they are. I didn't notice any at USF the other day.

Finger tech is stupid. Universal and Disney should get rid of it. Six Flags MM is now photo based as is Disneyland.
So many time the finger print fails and causes lines to back up. also Privacy issues.

Universal Hollywood had hand sanitizer stations in the front entrance but not anywhere else on Saturday.

JetBlue CEO was just interviewed on CNBC. He said airline bookings have been dropping, and they expect the drop to accelerate in the near term.
And JetBlue is just domestic, really. They have a few Caribbean and tiny handful of SA routes

The asian airlines are just dying- and not just budget ones like Air Asia, etc, but big ones. Air Asiana (Korean) is hurting terribly and the CEO came out and said they might not make it if this continues. Cathay (HK) has something like 65% of it's fleet grounded because of lack of bookings. It's absolutely terrible.

And it's not like the terrible Italian airlines were doing well before Corona hit. Air Italia had already shut down this year prior to Corona and Alitalia was holding on by a thread with reorganizations. Also before Corona hit. So this is salt in an open wound for them (same with Cathay who was hurting already from protests).

Hotel chains aren't going to feel it nearly as bad because almost all the big ones have moved into the management and don't own many properties in their portfolios. So individual owners who own Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, etc will hurt; but not the companies themselves. Unless they're forced to cut management fees to keep their portfolios high. It's a mess. Although most know my dream is for Hyatt to buy Loews, so if this makes Loews hurt to the point of being forced to sell, I'll selfishly take that. :grin:

---

In other news, I've gotten so many emails from Airlines since I've flown with maybe 20 and have Frequent fliers with everyone. They've all sent "here's what we're doing to clean our planes". From biggies like Southwest to Delta to United to tiny budget ones like flippin' Viet Jet. Even Avis sent me one telling me how they're cleaning their cars more thoroughly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.