Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I hear so much as a tiny sneeze or cough at any distance I change my walking route in the grocery or on the street. (I think I just admitted to you that I am a bit paranoid about the whole thing but I did this long before this virus... I hate getting sick)

You couldn’t get me near a cruise ship long before this came along... I have been all to aware of the mass illnesses on ships in years past...
I have done this for years, I ain't walking into no ones cough or sneeze its disgusting. I'll be at the parks for 1week starting friday, I'm not worried at all but will take precautions still.

Reactions: Teebin
Crazy how I've never come back from a cruise with any kind of illness. Yet I got an eye infection while at WDW.. And when I walked into the doctor's office and was like, "Well I just got back from Disney World.." and more than one doctor was like "Say no more" and implied its a cesspool of bacteria.

My fault for probably touching a monorail handle and later rubbing my eye after a long ass day.

If I hear so much as a tiny sneeze or cough at any distance I change my walking route in the grocery or on the street. (I think I just admitted to you that I am a bit paranoid about the whole thing but I did this long before this virus... I hate getting sick)

i've always opened doors the same way Monk (from the tv show MONK) used to open doors in the tv show with the corner of his jacket instead of his bare hands lol.
i rarely touch doors outdoors,

I get the CDC says you don't need masks but they aren't putting out guidance either that says don't kiss, don't share utensils, etc with someone who is positive either which is also a way this is spread. So what happens when people talk to each other? They spit so obviously two people both wearing a mask prevents that from happening right.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I get the CDC says you don't need masks but they aren't putting out guidance either that says don't kiss, don't share utensils, etc with someone who is positive either which is also a way this is spread. So what happens when people talk to each other? They spit so obviously two people both wearing a mask prevents that from happening right.
You need to take the mask off in order for anyone to understand you while you're talking though so unless you don't plan on talking to anyone for an extended period of time, then that's just not something that's realistic. There's taking reasonable precautions and then there's extreme precautions. You're on the extreme end.

I totally think we need to take this seriously as I don't think people truly realize how much this could affect us all, though. Even if you aren't older and don't have a pre-existing condition and you can handle the virus just fine, you may get it and not know ou have it for quite awhile and thus are spreading the virus to people who could be much more at risk than you during that initial period.

Masks are more effective as a way to stop you spreading the virus if you already have it.

With all the preventative care in place, I wonder if other diseases have spread less as a result.

Gonna be blunt for a sec
Any info on a
cure?
a year from now maybe, i think. i dont know, i keep hearing that it takes a year. and as with the regular flu, having a strong immune system is important. having some vitamin C, D and Zinc in your regular diet from veggies and fruits helps supportthe system in general. im not even talking about supplements or anything like that but people should be eating healthier. I've heard that eating at home cooked meals or eating packaged foods might be better than restaurant meals but I don't know.
I wonder how the parks are dealing with the restaurants. it makes me wonder if restaurants have changed procedures or if anything has changed. im sure things are being cleaned properly, but are they cleaning tables every single time a person eats? i dont know. if you clean a table with the cleaning solutions, how long does the cleaning solution work? I wonder, does the virus die in a table that has been recently cleaned? for how long? kind of interesting to think about,

I think the masks have to help a little bit, even if it's 10% of help, just as long as your hands are clean when you put it on and remove it.

I think touching everything is a big problem too. I think the hands are a big concern. people touch everything and everyone touches their heads and face, I think touch is something to think about. which a lot of people don't think about. In the parks you have to touch so many things, hundreds of guests touching stuff.
I know the parks are cleaning the rides, but what about the lockers or water fountains or touch screens in the lockers or the door handles, or the queue metal bars etc.
maybe breathing air is not as big of a problem as touching everything.

On the vaccine front. Moderna have developed a vaccine that's going to trial later this month and I forget the name but a team, here in Scotland think they have cracked a vaccine also and begin trials next month, months ahead of schedule.

The fact they have already sequenced the genome means they are on the fast track to a vaccination, but it takes a year to fully develop and test.

Right now stay focused on the facts that over 80% of people who contract it have only mild/minor symptoms. Currently 19% end up with major symptoms, and the fatality rate is still less than 2%. Generally if you don't have heart or lung conditions, you should be OK. Part of the problems with the current statistics is the majority of cases are still in China where between air pollution and the number of people who smoke there is a larger number of people who had the underlying conditions that tend to lead to fatalities. If you're a smoker or have some kind of existing health condition you should be more cautious, but a generally healthy, non-smoker should be fine.

Back on the topic of effect on the industry...

Johnny's House (local Orlando radio show/institution) took calls on this issue this morning. One woman works for a major hotel next to OCCC--my sense is it was a Rosen--said they are down to 15% occupancy. Normally at around 100%. Plenty of employees not technically laid off but only working a handful of hours a week. Caller from Universal Lowes hotels said groups are cancelling like crazy, mostly based on corporate orders.

Something I hadn't even thought about--a local bakery is hurting because they have a contract to sell thousands of pastries to OCCC. Those aren't being sold, so they aren't making money. This is bad for the country, of course, but Orlando going to be hit particularly hard.

Back on the topic of effect on the industry...

Johnny's House (local Orlando radio show/institution) took calls on this issue this morning. One woman works for a major hotel next to OCCC--my sense is it was a Rosen--said they are down to 15% occupancy. Normally at around 100%. Plenty of employees not technically laid off but only working a handful of hours a week. Caller from Universal Lowes hotels said groups are cancelling like crazy, mostly based on corporate orders.

Something I hadn't even thought about--a local bakery is hurting because they have a contract to sell thousands of pastries to OCCC. Those aren't being sold, so they aren't making money. This is bad for the country, of course, but Orlando going to be hit particularly hard.

No doubt about it, Orlando is going to get hit hard.

Please keep this thread about affects on the tourism industry, general discussion should go in that thread.

Universal Orlando has updated their terms and conditions to allow 24 hour cancellations of hotels, tickets, and vacation packages purchased Mar 4 - April 15 for dates Mar 4 - August 31.

We are still planning on flying down next week for Mardi Gras. Besides doing the aforementioned safe guards, we plan on wearing disposable nitrile gloves waiting in line for all rides, then carefully disposing of them upon leaving the ride . If you do come in contact with surface contamination, you are very unlikely to touch your face or eyes with gloves on. The rails and cars themselves could be a source of virus, plus they are usually gross in the best of times.

Gaylord Palms rooms were completely booked for a conference I am (might be) attending at the end of the month. Now all kinds of rooms available at discounted rates

Reactions: SeventyOne
As of right now I'm going to Orlando mid-April for a 4 day weekend at Megacon. No announcement at this point whether its cancelled or not. Down here in Miami they did cancel Ultra, but that is MUCH more understandable than Megacon. 50,000 sweating, drinking, doing drugs and rubbing up on each other, coughing, sneezing, vomiting. So I'm hoping it doesn't cancelled.

Reactions: snayberry
This week and next week are considered "college spring break", and so far it looks like most people are still coming. It will be interesting to see the week before and after Easter what the crowds look like. That's the second and third week of April this year, so if the virus continues to spread it may cause people to cancel and stay home. If it doesn't, the falling price of gas may actually entice people to come who weren't coming before in search of bargains.

Status
Not open for further replies.