Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean yeah, they could just cancel those days of the event. But these parks will be lucky to open by June, never mind April.
They'll open on or before Memorial Day weekend. I'll stake a claim on that. They'll wait out the CDC recommendation of 8 weeks and then reopen.

Unless things get exponentially worse over the next few weeks, there's no way they can stay closed that long and continue paying the workforce.

They'll open on or before Memorial Day weekend. I'll stake a claim on that. They'll wait out the CDC recommendation of 8 weeks and then reopen.

Unless things get exponentially worse over the next few weeks, there's no way they can stay closed that long and continue paying the workforce.
Personally, my bet is late April, but reopening with a lot of restrictions and new policies. Eventual back to new, stable normal hitting mid-summer. Regarding the "modified" operations in April, that is the timeframe that I could see the whole "no Epcot" thing happening, along with intentional distancing/spacing out of guests.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I mean, maybe. Some think that that's around the time when we could be at the peak of this thing. If we're hitting peak around then, there's no way these park's are open. Also, as I said yesterday, even once they open, who's going? Locals can't support these parks. They need to reopen on a timeline when they know the airline industry is back up and bookings at their resorts are healthy again.

Personally, my bet is late April, but reopening with a lot of restrictions and new policies. Eventual back to new, stable normal hitting mid-summer. Regarding the "modified" operations in April, that is the timeframe that I could see the whole "no Epcot" thing happening, along with intentional distancing/spacing out of guests.
I'm confused why Epcot wouldn't open when everything else does...?

I mean, maybe. Some think that that's around the time when we could be at the peak of this thing. If we're hitting peak around then, there's no way these park's are open. Also, as I said yesterday, even once they open, who's going? Locals can't support these parks. They need to reopen on a timeline when they know the airline industry is back up and bookings at their resorts are healthy again.

I mean, the airline industry will take a looooooooooong time to get back to where they were. Disney and Universal absolutely cannot stay closed that long. There will be pressure from everyone in the local economy for them to open

I mean, the airline industry will take a looooooooooong time to get back to where they were. Disney and Universal absolutely cannot stay closed that long. There will be pressure from everyone in the local economy for them to open
I get that and I think the parks will be open by sometime in June or July. I just think with things changing so rapidly, sure the CDC is recommending 8 weeks currently, but who's to say that they won't extend that? There's a lot of assuming that this is just going to blow over in a few weeks when I don't think that's anywhere near a lock at this point. Just last night, Mayor de Blasio in NYC was talking that NYC may stay closed through August or later. If this goes on for an extended period of time, they simply cannot reopen, no matter the pressure or financial cost to the company.

Obviously things could turn out to end quicker, but honestly, i'm just not seeing it right now.

I get that and I think the parks will be open by sometime in June or July. I just think with things changing so rapidly, sure the CDC is recommending 8 weeks currently, but who's to say that they won't extend that? There's a lot of assuming that this is just going to blow over in a few weeks when I don't think that's anywhere near a lock at this point. Just last night, Mayor de Blasio in NYC was talking that NYC may stay closed through August or later. If this goes on for an extended period of time, they simply cannot reopen, no matter the pressure or financial cost to the company.

Obviously things could turn out to end quicker, but honestly, i'm just not seeing it right now.
I think this is what we're looking at:

I've read lots of talk today about how this might not blow over until the vaccine is in place. Sure, you might get a month where the isolation works at stopping it spread and things are looking better, but then it'll flare up again and you'll be back in lockdown.

The hardest part will be all this isolation will have no visible difference. Fighting an invisible enemy almost seems pointless and lots of people will think because nothing happened then the isolation was pointless.

That's the rumor.

With the construction and having fired all the long time entertainment, combined with the fact that Disney termed all the international interns (who were on one year contracts) and the shortage of staffing with all the CPs gone, it kind of makes sense to re-open in phases with EPCOT being last. Chance are when the parks re-open there won't be as much demand and need for the capacity. I'd guess that a few of the hotels won't re-open immediately either.

I'm curious. How many times Universal Studios theme parks in America have closed in response to a disaster? I know that during the 1992 Los Angeles riots, Universal Hollywood closed because it was in middle of the rioting epidemic there. Don't know if they still opened or closed after 9/11.

That's the rumor.

With the construction and having fired all the long time entertainment, combined with the fact that Disney termed all the international interns (who were on one year contracts) and the shortage of staffing with all the CPs gone, it kind of makes sense to re-open in phases with EPCOT being last. Chance are when the parks re-open there won't be as much demand and need for the capacity. I'd guess that a few of the hotels won't re-open immediately either.
Well yeah, when the parks reopen, I definitely expect a phased reopen of some sort. Not sure what that really means though. Maybe only the big ticket rides are open?

Also, as you pointed out, when the parks reopen, the only people that will be around to go to them for at least the first little while will be locals and CMs/TMs. That seems like an optimal time to me to transition from boarding groups at RotR to stand-by. Also, I doubt SSE reopens with Epcot.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Well yeah, when the parks reopen, I definitely expect a phased reopen of some sort. Not sure what that really means though. Maybe only the big ticket rides are open?

Also, as you pointed out, when the parks reopen, the only people that will be around to go to them for at least the first little while will be locals and CMs/TMs. That seems like an optimal time to me to transition from boarding groups at RotR to stand-by. Also, I doubt SSE reopens with Epcot.
I could see enough people being broke that DVC points will carry a negative value for once. I'm not sure any online reservations will matter.

Last edited:

Pure speculation on my part, but since I floated the idea over the weekend as well:
  • Locals-only crowd doesn't need all 4 parks. In fact, optics better with fewer parks with more people in them--you don't want the media showing a ghost town. The only reason I imagine they re-open DAK is because of all the sunk costs in animal care, but a couple week delay for that park wouldn't shock me.
  • WDW just sent a lot of its out-of-town staff home--EPCOT particularly hard-hit because a lot of that was international CMs. The longer this goes, the more furloughed CMs are going to leave town. Going to take a while to get back up to a full work force. (For similar reasons, I expect staggering in resorts, and probably only one water park, as they come back online.) I also imagine it takes at least a few weeks to get the ICP up and running, to find new entertainment contractors, etc.
  • Future World is a giant construction zone already, made worse if SSE doesn't re-open--riding M:S again not going to convince locals to come out. World Showcase isn't much of a draw without a festival and logistics probably prevent a Summer festival (even extending F&G wouldn't work, given 90-day limit on temporary buildings and rumor that can't be occupied during a thunderstorm). Not a lot of money to be made there until F&W kicks off. In the meantime, save yourself labor costs for the largest park plus the cost of a nightly fireworks show plus food costs for a lot of restaurants that don't follow the standard burger/chicky nuggets/fries menu plus save having to run the second monorail route.
  • When it finally does re-open for F&W, second massive social media/real news media hoopla. Maybe throw us a bone and have Rat ready, too. Own the news cycle twice before HHN opens.

Yeah we should note that opening any parks later is rumor or speculation at best. Being said what @SeventyOne laid out are good reasons to keep Epcot closed a bit longer just based on staffing alone. DHS and DAK would be the two parks I'd open first fully, or a partial open of MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.