Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe its getting the 3d treatment

I've not been to see the 3D version but rumor is the functional difference is that the loading belt moves slower to allow the time to distribute the glasses and such.

If that's true or not, I dunno. But what would need to be done to make that change in IOA is another unknown to me. Maybe it's not true at all.

In the big picture the vehicles are always moving at the same speed and the arm is whipping you around so you don't notice. But I know the vehicles can exit/reenter the lineup and they can have their spacing adjusted while they're moving to alllow that to happen. Little bumps to slow a particular vehicle (and the ines behind it) down until you grow a big enough hole to stick a vehicle into.

So going slow temporarily without anything else changing seems like an option.

But who knows if that's something they actually will need to do.

Yeah, attractions close for refurbishments all the time. There's 4 other Harry Potter attractions and two immersive lands to explore.

Yes, I'm aware. I'm not a newb. That's the point. I checked attractions and waited a good deal of time before booking to ensure there were no surprises. Two weeks notice before a planned refurb for people paying thousands of dollars is a poor guest experience at best, unethical at worst. And again, this is THE main attraction for the package. Let's not pretend like both Hogwarts and FJ are just "some other ride." That's the one thing you must do if you visit.

On a brighter note, guest services reach out to me and said to meet them at 10am during my trip for a special "surprise." No idea what it is but it's a nice gesture.

Yes, I'm aware. I'm not a newb. That's the point. I checked attractions and waited a good deal of time before booking to ensure there were no surprises. Two weeks notice before a planned refurb for people paying thousands of dollars is a poor guest experience at best, unethical at worst. And again, this is THE main attraction for the package. Let's not pretend like both Hogwarts and FJ are just "some other ride." That's the one thing you must do if you visit.

On a brighter note, guest services reach out to me and said to meet them at 10am during my trip for a special "surprise." No idea what it is but it's a nice gesture.
It's like they give you a castle tour.

I've not been to see the 3D version but rumor is the functional difference is that the loading belt moves slower to allow the time to distribute the glasses and such.

If that's true or not, I dunno. But what would need to be done to make that change in IOA is another unknown to me. Maybe it's not true at all.

Didn't seem noticeably slower to me at USJ, but the margins would be almost imperceptible I would think.

The thing that did surprise me was the glasses being distributed on the belt at all - especially when people had spent so long talking about the recesses in the walls before load for the supposed glasses stations that never were.

put a black curtain in front of the bird statue at Dumbledore's office to stop people from bringing the line to a dead stop there for their god damn selfies.

grinch much?!

Let me first say that I hate the whole idea of a selfie. But those people pay to come to the park just like the rest of us, so they can take a selfie if they want (no matter how much we hate it). A minor wait there doesn't make a difference as there's much more line to go and you'll still be waiting after it.

Not me being Grinch-y. It's a legitimate problem with the queue that has been seriously considered before (not a curtain, but removing the statue entirely).

The Oxford Corridor is where the line stops - for no functional reason. This causes the line to back up into the greenhouse. There are not as many people physically within the castle as it was designed to hold. They stop at the Bird and get stuck outside in the greenhouse.

The lockers are a similar choke point. You may note that you essentially never have to wait in the queue that's in the dungeons beyond the lockers, but rather rush right through it to the greenhouse. It's because the lockers are keeping people for far longer than they were designed to.

In a perfect world you'd approach the castle and go through the front gate (no extended forest queue) and walk right up to the building (with no Express/Disability line division, just a big open walkway) and then hit the lockers if needed and then begin the queue at the dungeons for the ride, or opt to go up the stairs/elevator to take the castle walking tour.

Guests would have time to consider the mirror of erseid (spell check?) and hear Neville be berated in the potions room.

Reactions: Jymmymack and Clive

That's good news, nice that they reached out and hopefully whatever they have in store will go some ways to easing the disappointment of missing FJ.

Be sure to let us know how it pans out.

Not me being Grinch-y. It's a legitimate problem with the queue that has been seriously considered before (not a curtain, but removing the statue entirely).

The Oxford Corridor is where the line stops - for no functional reason. This causes the line to back up into the greenhouse. There are not as many people physically within the castle as it was designed to hold. They stop at the Bird and get stuck outside in the greenhouse.

The lockers are a similar choke point. You may note that you essentially never have to wait in the queue that's in the dungeons beyond the lockers, but rather rush right through it to the greenhouse. It's because the lockers are keeping people for far longer than they were designed to.

In a perfect world you'd approach the castle and go through the front gate (no extended forest queue) and walk right up to the building (with no Express/Disability line division, just a big open walkway) and then hit the lockers if needed and then begin the queue at the dungeons for the ride, or opt to go up the stairs/elevator to take the castle walking tour.

Guests would have time to consider the mirror of erseid (spell check?) and hear Neville be berated in the potions room.

I've never not waited past the statue, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I am also rarely held up due to people taking selfies. Maybe you're always unlucky while I'm the opposite?

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
I would guess that's what it's for. And that way FJ Hollywood gets their grand opening in April before Orlando can roll out their 3D...It seems like the 3D reviews I've read lately are considerably better than the initial reviews. And, I believe the Quidditch style goggles are in now for Hollywood. At first I was skeptical, but after the last reviews I've read, a "possible" conversion doesn't bother me.
I've heard that the FJ in Hollywood gets people WAY more nauseous. It's apparently because of the goggles.

I've never not waited past the statue, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I am also rarely held up due to people taking selfies. Maybe you're always unlucky while I'm the opposite?
I honestly would like there to be an extension fi the forest que outside of the castle, like the one in Hollywood. It looks nice, and the FJ line (on a long day) always drags out close to the Jurassic park enterence of hogsmeade.

That, also the lighting is better, ride is smoother, the dragon on the moving screen breaths fire at you, and the pyrotechnics are way better.
I just watched a video and think I prefer it not breathing fire on the screen. What other pyrotechnics are you referring to?

Also, why has no one put up a low light video of the ride? All I see of those is the queue and it's identical to Orlando...

I've heard that the FJ in Hollywood gets people WAY more nauseous. It's apparently because of the goggles.

To be honest, wearing FJ3D with glasses on top of the 3D goggles brings much more nausea than anything i've ridden. But; without glasses that I wear daily; I find FJ3D to be an amazing experience, with one of the best uses of 3D that i've seen.

Although I haven't ridden the 2D version; I think i'd be probably in the same field as the 3D version is.

Reactions: Mike S
To be honest, wearing FJ3D with glasses on top of the 3D goggles brings much more nausea than anything i've ridden. But; without glasses that I wear daily; I find FJ3D to be an amazing experience, with one of the best uses of 3D that i've seen.

Although I haven't ridden the 2D version; I think i'd be probably in the same field as the 3D version is.
Have you only ridden the one in Cali?

I just watched a video and think I prefer it not breathing fire on the screen. What other pyrotechnics are you referring to?

Also, why has no one put up a low light video of the ride? All I see of those is the queue and it's identical to Orlando...
What I meant by pyrotechnics was fog, colored lighting, and sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.