Frontierland Expansion? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Frontierland Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's also not ADA compliant, causes many guest injuries and has limited hours of operation. I personally love it and the river boat, but thinking logically (or more important, thinking like a Disney bean counter), that is a huge area that could be better used to create more capacity and generate more revenue.

Then get rid of it...at ALL the Disneyland style parks if its so much trouble.

Honestly, I love it. Always have. I'd like to see them keep the front half as is and repurpose the back half, which in turn could open up that expansion pad behind it.

This has been a really interesting conversation today. At first I was baffled by what TSI was and had to peek at a park map.

Beyond that, the use of land and what outweighs what is such a horrid tough call. I never knew that it wasn't ADA and that really makes me angry as I feel all kids young and old should be able to experience as much of such quiet and curious whimsy as possible.

I am leaning towards keeping it rather than develop... but it is a tough call.

I know that I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but I don't think everything has to be ADA compatiable. Your inability in experiencing something shouldn't mean that your limitations should limit mine. So just because you cant swing on a bridge, I cant. Or just because you cant climb up a fort, I cant. Its sad but it's also sad to limit others that are capable.

I know that I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but I don't think everything has to be ADA compatiable. Your inability in experiencing something shouldn't mean that your limitations should limit mine. So just because you cant swing on a bridge, I cant. Or just because you cant climb up a fort, I cant. Its sad but it's also sad to limit others that are capable.

I don't believe anyone expects everything to be ADA. The rope bridge would never work so create another solution. Camp Jurassic is a modern example of ADA compliant although much of it is only viewable for ADA. I don't know the details and code, but ADA will not be able to do everything. Allowing persons to view some of it would be a plus.

The problem with anything non ADA compliant is it cannot be remodeled without either bringing it into compliance or having to provide something to give the experience to those who cannot access it. At Disneyland when they went to reopen the Sleeping Beauty walk through and the Submarines, since there was no way to making them fully accessible they had to create simulations where anyone who physically couldn't access the attraction could still see what was there through a presentation on screens.

Every time they remodel anything at Disney it is a HUGE problem to bring things up to current codes and ADA regulations which is why some things never get fixed. There is a certain percentage of remodel work that can be done to anything without having to make all the changes necessary.

Once again, I love TSI and the river boat and feel like they are some of the best features of Magic Kingdom, however looking logically I can see that the space they use might be better used. When every year Magic Kingdom grows attendance, the number of attractions offered and the physical space in the park has not grown to match. Personally, if I ran things at WDW I would grow by eliminating the parking lot between Main Street and Tomorrowland and use that for an expansion first, but TSI and Rivers of America are prime spots for growing the park.

Playing devil's advocate look at it his way, if they remove the river boat (or make it stationary as a restaurant or show or something), they could then connect TSI to the mainland with bridges (eliminating the rafts which are old and dirty and dangerous). This could mean TSI could be updated and made ADA compliant. This could also mean that the back half of the river could be filled in for a huge expansion, but (just as importantly) it could mean they could build a back pathway connecting the dead end in front of the Haunted Mansion with the dead end in front of Big Thunder. This would be a HUGE improvement in traffic flow (especially during parades) as well as just improving the chaotic traffic between Splash Mountain, BTMRR, and Frontierland Station. As it is now that area is a cluster F all the time.

I don't believe anyone expects everything to be ADA. The rope bridge would never work so create another solution. Camp Jurassic is a modern example of ADA compliant although much of it is only viewable for ADA. I don't know the details and code, but ADA will not be able to do everything. Allowing persons to view some of it would be a plus.

I think that allowing at least some or most of it to be viewable for people who are called names and get stared at every day shouldn't be a big issue, especially given the fact that Disney is meant to be enjoyed by all (as are all theme parks).

Anyway, I'm fairly excited for whatever might be coming. I'd love a new eatery and E-Ticket, though I'm not sure what the E-Ticket would even be themed after. I just hope it's an original concept; please give these hungry Imagineers something to work with, Disney.

Part of the problem with TSI isn't even ADA compliance as much as safety. In this world of lawsuit happy people, the uneven pathways and low overhangs are lawsuits waiting to happen. Add the ADA problems to that (especially with all the lawsuits from guests over the new disability access program) and it becomes a major headache that needs to be addressed at some point. A sweeping change would fix many problems at once.

I completely agree with Sean, MK is the last place to start an expansion, it's the most visited park in the world and it has plenty of attractions. It's lame that this is even brought up when the other parks are failing miserably

Reactions: Teebin

Misinterpretation of ADA is that everything must be accessible. It is simply saying that experiences must be equivalent. So Camp Jurasic works because you can get to a tower without stairs but the rope bridges are still there.

I completely agree with Sean, MK is the last place to start an expansion, it's the most visited park in the world and it has plenty of attractions. It's lame that this is even brought up when the other parks are failing miserably

Epcot's going to get something new and DHS is getting a bunch of new stuff, I'm only disappointed that it's coming to Frontierland (if it happens). Tomorrowland and Adventureland should have gotten something new first IMO.

Reactions: Cheezbat
TSI is the least commerical aspect of Magic Kingdom, it feels almsot frozen in time compared to the rest of the park. The fact that its somewhat "dangerous" is what makes it exciting. The sad truth is that it really isn't dangerous at all. What limit do we go to for everyone's safety? AS I said earlier, it was one of the most memorable parts of our trip last time we went. We ended up staying on the island for a good hour. No Fast Pass required. No Line waiting. Just good fun.

We love TSI, as we love Camp Jurassic. It lets us get away from the chaos of MK. And it's a leisurely alternative. TSI kind of epitomizes what Disney once was, but no longer is. Just like Rhino said, and we also spend at least an hour over there. And we're far from being young kids or young adults. But in our minds we still are, when we're on TSI or at Camp Jurassic. Every world class theme park needs an area like this.

TSI is my ultimate happy place (next to the haunted mansion witch follows these traits too). The boatride, caves, crazy amounts of tiny little secrets just phenominal. It's Disney at it's best, creating a setting and letting your mind wander in it, making a story as you go along. You don't need a preshow or long explanation, it's all in the design and atmosphere, that's what makes a perfect attraction for me. To replace it for something stupid would be a crying shame

Looks like Spirit isn't impressed:

I've been putting bits and pieces together regarding the proposed Frontierland project for MK and ... color me incredibly NOT impressed. If I've learned anything while watching this park change so radically over the last 15-plus years is that it is morphing into something that I don't like very much, something that's pretty antithetical to what the whole idea of the park was to begin with. I really couldn't care less how busy the place is. Whenever I drive by Walmart the parking lot is plenty full there as well.

To me, it seems like it's a personal dislike to him. You really need to pick and choose what to believe from him as he puts a lot of extra spice on his info to make it a more enthralling read. Personally I just find it annoying.

I get so confused by the players on that magic site. Is spirit aka martin? Then we have whylightbulb who has his own track record. Finally, who is Lee? Is he not to be confused with Banks Lee?

I get so confused by the players on that magic site. Is spirit aka martin? Then we have whylightbulb who has his own track record. Finally, who is Lee? Is he not to be confused with Banks Lee?
WDW1974 is known as Spirit. Martin is Marni1971 (he's registered here too, both are actually). Both are knowledgeable, I trust Martin more though. Whylightbulb is a contractor who is pretty sketchy on things and Lee is... well, Lee is mostly living off of breaking the Fantasyland Expansion news in 2009 before D23 Expo and leaking plans as far as his insider status goes. He mostly rides the coat tails of Spirit these days, I rarely see him break any news.

Reactions: Stitchie and Cole
Whatever, there's nothing really exciting about this expansion anyways. No way in hell are they were actually gonna build another ride and I just see it as pointless to begin with. Why waste your money on the cash cow when the other cattle are weak? Fronterland isn't even the weakest part of MK to begin with

Yes, I don't understand it if that's true. Frontierland may well be the strongest lineup at the park. Tomorrowland is screaming for help.