Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fun Spot Expansion

Imagine this in blue.
coaster04.jpg

That's awesome!

VR will now be available to the public daily on Freedom Flyer: Virtual Reality on the Freedom Flyer - Fun Spot Theme Parks

This was tested to an IAAPA crowd last year, but never made it's way into the parks for public use until now.

I don't know why but I find VR heading here a lot more acceptable than the bigger parks.

Not a funspot person as a local. Can't really stand the place. I'm usually pretty happy with things in Orlando expanding but FunSpot isn't one of them.
However, good for them. If they can get rid of Magical Midway so be it.

There is currently another cart racing entertainment area being built on Universal blvd so I'm all for FunSpot holding it's weight in this competitive entertainment market.

I think we can all be sure that Fun Spot is aiming to be the Orlando Six Flags (EDIT: Hopefully, actually, more like Knott's). The simple fact that there AP numbers are up 70% year over year shows this early on. The Orlando market is going to become 3-leveled. The typical I-Drive attractions at the bottom, SeaWorld Parks and Resorts Orlando (Not including Discovery Cove) and Fun Spot America in the second level, and WDW, UOR, and Discovery Cove in the top level. SeaWorld and Fun Spot may finally find there places in this market after years of uncertainty, and its next to each other (or against each other depending on how you view it).
'Huge' plans: Fun Spot has eye on growth - Orlando Sentinel

Last edited:
I think we can all be sure that Fun Spot is aiming to be the Orlando Six Flags. The simple fact that there AP numbers are up 70% year over year shows this early on. The Orlando market is going to become 3-leveled. The typical I-Drive attractions at the bottom, SeaWorld Parks and Resorts Orlando (Not including Discovery Cove) and Fun Spot America in the second level, and WDW and UOR in the top level. SeaWorld and Fun Spot may finally find there places in this market after years of uncertainty, and its next to each other (or against each other depending on how you view it).

In a way, I guess they could be Six Flags of Orlando? Be the cheapest theme park in Orlando.

I think we can all be sure that Fun Spot is aiming to be the Orlando Six Flags (EDIT: Hopefully, actually, more like Knott's). The simple fact that there AP numbers are up 70% year over year shows this early on. The Orlando market is going to become 3-leveled. The typical I-Drive attractions at the bottom, SeaWorld Parks and Resorts Orlando (Not including Discovery Cove) and Fun Spot America in the second level, and WDW, UOR, and Discovery Cove in the top level. SeaWorld and Fun Spot may finally find there places in this market after years of uncertainty, and its next to each other (or against each other depending on how you view it).

Agreed, and the competition is getting ready to ramp up at that bottom level. Andretti Park (?) on Universal Blvd, a new D&B-like place in Pointe, a revamped Old Town/Fun Spot on 192, a water park and probably something Old Town-like at Margaritaville... I think Fun Spot has no choice but to create this new "mid-tier" to differentiate themselves.

Agreed, and the competition is getting ready to ramp up at that bottom level. Andretti Park (?) on Universal Blvd, a new D&B-like place in Pointe, a revamped Old Town/Fun Spot on 192, a water park and probably something Old Town-like at Margaritaville... I think Fun Spot has no choice but to create this new "mid-tier" to differentiate themselves.
Placing Seaworld and Funspot on the same level is a bit ridiculous.

Here's how it should be:

Tier 0:
IDrive attractions, go karts, t-shirt stores, Funspot
Tier 1:
Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Aquatica.
Tier 2:
Universal, Disney.

Seaworld has always had a middle-of-the-market strategy. They have had varying degrees of success over the years. It is still an expensive park to visit, unlike FunSpot.

Here's how it should be:

Tier 0:
Tier 1:
Tier 2:
Universal, Disney.

Seaworld has always had a middle-of-the-market strategy. They have had varying degrees of success over the years. It is still an expensive park to visit, unlike FunSpot.
The term 'Theme Park' vs 'Amusement Park' comes to mind...Sea World is still in the 'Theme Park' category for me

I do really enjoy a classic Amusement Park though, and Fun Spot seems to be shooting for that, I'm ok with that

The term 'Theme Park' vs 'Amusement Park' comes to mind...Sea World is still in the 'Theme Park' category for me

I do really enjoy a classic Amusement Park though, and Fun Spot seems to be shooting for that, I'm ok with that
Yah. I also really think FunSpot should go for that "classic" vibe. This might sound crazy, but I think funspot should change their name. It sounds tacky, not classic.

Here's how it should be:

Tier 0:
Tier 1:
Tier 2:
Universal, Disney.

I never said they are. I'm saying that we may see that happening in the future. They may not be equals so to say, but they will both be above every other I Drive attraction and below UOR, WDW, and Discovery Cove. You should see Fun Spots long range plan that's somewhere on this thread.

I never said they are. I'm saying that we may see that happening in the future. They may not be equals so to say, but they will both be above every other I Drive attraction and below UOR, WDW, and Discovery Cove. You should see Fun Spots long range plan that's somewhere on this thread.

At the same time, and I can't share details here, but if the cuts coming to Sea World I've heard are true, that park is nearing its death spiral. It's already been forced to adjust prices down (until a few years after Bush it kept ticket prices up with the Big Boys), and I expect more price cuts to make it look like the "affordable" choice in Orlando.

People on theme park forums debate "theme park" v. "amusement park." People who buy tickets just debate if it will be a fun way to spend the day.

Also, minor point, I think Aquatica is still top tier even as SWO is not, curious if they make efforts to stay there this year with increased competition.

At the same time, and I can't share details here, but if the cuts coming to Sea World I've heard are true, that park is nearing its death spiral. It's already been forced to adjust prices down (until a few years after Busch it kept ticket prices up with the Big Boys), and I expect more price cuts to make it look like the "affordable" choice in Orlando.

People on theme park forums debate "theme park" v. "amusement park." People who buy tickets just debate if it will be a fun way to spend the day.

Also, minor point, I think Aquatica is still top tier even as SWO is not, curious if they make efforts to stay there this year with increased competition.
I fail to see why they are continuing to make cuts. Hasn't attendance begun to finally increase year over year?

I think the park has found its spot in the market. I'd expect all future additions to be around the Mako and Manta level of detail and cost. Isn't a significant amount of the cost of new attractions R&D and design related? SW could use the rides designed for SW UAE at their domestic parks at a lower cost. This could be a way they can try to continue to compete with UOR and WDW more effectively.

Here's how it should be:

Tier 0:
Tier 1:
Tier 2:
Universal, Disney.

I agree. Sea World and Funspot are no where near the same level. Absolutely absurd idea.

I fail to see why they are continuing to make cuts. Hasn't attendance begun to finally increase year over year?

Attendance and revenue aren't the same thing, of course. A guest who buys $300 of Potter regalia is not a local AP who comes to ride a ride, watch a show, and leave without even buying lunch. Just speculating, but those were serious lay-offs last month, and again, I'm hearing the full effect won't be felt until this year.

And I believe they were selling it for $2 million, which is a reasonable price. The shipping and construction would still keep in in the Fun Spot price range.