Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the SFX is dynamic...Gringotts was Intamin and classified as the" First Special Effects Coaster/Dark Ride Hybrid"...unfortunately it is more of a prototype...All that to say, I'd rather see Dynamic do the FF dark ride

Concept? From what it seems, potentially in the next few months; I would say that it's a reality much more than concept.

I do think if they are to do a coaster, the wise decision could be Dynamic; but I wouldn't be surprised if they just do a family dark ride that is high capacity and having little to no height restrictions.

Reactions: Mike S
Looks like some dueling dragons came out in the last page....

Anyways, whatever they do. They need to do it before third park starts construction. I however really think they need a high thrill family ride rather than a safe family ride. Remember Universal keeps pushing grown up vacations in their ads. Not bring your toddler to the park commercials.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Looks like some dueling dragons came out in the last page....

Anyways, whatever they do. They need to do it before third park starts construction. I however really think they need a high thrill family ride rather than a safe family ride. Remember Universal keeps pushing grown up vacations in their ads. Not bring your toddler to the park commercials.
Well, Yoshi won't be very thrilling from all accounts so why can't HP have a tamer ride as well?

Well, Yoshi won't be very thrilling from all accounts so why can't HP have a tamer ride as well?

Because a book about a wizard whose parents were killed by a evil wizard and continues all 7 years with him trying to be killed by same wizard isn't tame at all. The wizarding world was always dangerous, beautiful and fun but dangerous. Doing a tame ride kinda goes against everything in the book minus the Hogwarts express and the Threstal drawn trolleys but even Threstal drawn trolleys are dark because the only reason you can see them is if you watched someone die.

Because a book about a wizard whose parents were killed by a evil wizard and continues all 7 years with him trying to be killed by same wizard isn't tame at all. The wizarding world was always dangerous, beautiful and fun but dangerous. Doing a tame ride kinda goes against everything in the book minus the Hogwarts express and the Threstal drawn trolleys but even Threstal drawn trolleys are dark because the only reason you can see them is if you watched someone die.
So there can absolutely never be a calmer moment? We're restricted to only the dangerous events described in the books? We can't use the parks to expand the story? Ok then.

So there can absolutely never be a calmer moment? We're restricted to only the dangerous events described in the books? We can't use the parks to expand the story? Ok then.

Because the books never had a truly calm moment that makes for a ride outside 4 things in a way that fits Hogsmeade and Hogswart(riding a hippogruff, hogwarts express, the boat ride to the cave where potter saw dumbledore die, and the threstal carts to the castle) . The London side would be where the tame rides could be as the story made the wizard city life fun and safe as there truly is nothing beside the ministry elevators and the knight bus so you could truly make up anything you really wished. Lastly its nots Universal who has to be like we can do whatever we want but you forget JK Rowling has to approve. Using the parks to expand the story can end up contradicting the story complete. Like oh yea lets go into the forbidden forest and have a tame ride when the forbidden forest was forbidden for being too dangerous which is why Draco had a fit in the first book and Potter and friends had to sneak into the forest. She is protective of her property she isn't going to greenlit something just because Universal is trying to get a family ride. You can't make a ride about the worst people and ride through Azkaban and be like lets make this tame, that entire thing is about the worst people.

Edit: Went on 3 tangents: One staying true to the story because of JK Rowling. Two, Why Azkaban can't be a tame ride. Three, why forbidden forest can't be tame.

Last edited:
HP attractions should be based in the exiting and thrilling journys that are seen in the movies and books. A thestral carriage ride isn't gonna do it for guests, it's gonna be a half roller coaster half simulator half 3D thrill ride that people will enjoy. The park could expand to the forbidden forest, but the attractions should be based on the thrilling encounters that are what guests would want.

As a massive fan of the series as well as a theme park enthusiast, I'm gonna go for broke here and suggest that we can have a balance. Flight of the Hippogryph makes sense as is but the theming could certainly be upgraded. A more elaborate ride with a few more thrills could do a fair amount to add to the park.

While we remember the thrilling moments in the films we often forget that the larger wizarding world featured a number of perfectly safe aspects. Many of those make up the larger immersion factors in the parks - the shops and Hogwarts, etc... I think if you want a Forbidden Forest ride you have a few options and none of them have to be incredibly thrilling nor do they require toddler level tameness. We could keep the Flight of the Hippogryph and make a new ride or expand the current one to fit in with a more immersive environment. There are a fair number of options going forward and I'm certain Universal is figuring it out.

Because the books never had a truly calm moment that makes for a ride outside 4 things in a way that fits Hogsmeade and Hogswart(riding a hippogruff, hogwarts express, the boat ride to the cave where potter saw dumbledore die, and the threstal carts to the castle) . The London side would be where the tame rides could be as the story made the wizard city life fun and safe as there truly is nothing beside the ministry elevators and the knight bus so you could truly make up anything you really wished. Lastly its nots Universal who has to be like we can do whatever we want but you forget JK Rowling has to approve. Using the parks to expand the story can end up contradicting the story complete. Like oh yea lets go into the forbidden forest and have a tame ride when the forbidden forest was forbidden for being too dangerous which is why Draco had a fit in the first book and Potter and friends had to sneak into the forest. She is protective of her property she isn't going to greenlit something just because Universal is trying to get a family ride. You can't make a ride about the worst people and ride through Azkaban and be like lets make this tame, that entire thing is about the worst people.

Edit: Went on 3 tangents: One staying true to the story because of JK Rowling. Two, Why Azkaban can't be a tame ride. Three, why forbidden forest can't be tame.
I wasn't talking about Azkaban. The Forest could be a tamer experience while still having an element of danger. Remember, there used to be a ride that sent you to hell that anyone could ride. Still exists on the west coast.

Let me rephrase it this way. Why do you feel the need for a tamer experience for Potter? Fallon, Kong, F&F and Nintendo are all recent and upcoming attractions with minimum height limits "36 inches". I think its ridiculous to push for more attractions for those who fit that instead of Universals main audience is tweens teens and young adults which also happens to skew male. You already have enough upcoming attractions to feel the void of lack of height requirements and you are getting rid of a somewhat high thrill ride so you should keep it a somewhat high thrill ride

Reactions: LJGonz
Let me rephrase it this way. Why do you feel the need for a tamer experience for Potter? Fallon, Kong, F&F and Nintendo are all recent and upcoming attractions with minimum height limits "36 inches". I think its ridiculous to push for more attractions for those who fit that instead of Universals main audience is tweens teens and young adults which also happens to skew male. You already have enough upcoming attractions to feel the void of lack of height requirements and you are getting rid of a somewhat high thrill ride so you should keep it a somewhat high thrill ride

I don't want to speak for Mike. My personal opinion: we don't know the mix of rides, theme, target demo of the new park. If it truly is aimed to be universal's MK (I do scoff at the implications, but still) then there will be be a drive for the Site A parks to have additional family friendly rides be added.

They have a vision far more advanced than most of us can comprehend.

Marketing campaigns, demo spins and the like can and will change to represent the current offerings. I don't think anyone considered them calling VB a "third park" when the park was first rumored.

HOWEVER: That doesn't mean I want to see a mini track for toddlers who want to ride the Ford Anglia. There are ways to keep the tone yet offer different ride experiences. Pirates scared the crap out of me as a kid, but it's one of the most famous family dark rides in the world.

Reactions: Frogki and Mike S
As a massive fan of the series as well as a theme park enthusiast, I'm gonna go for broke here and suggest that we can have a balance. Flight of the Hippogryph makes sense as is but the theming could certainly be upgraded. A more elaborate ride with a few more thrills could do a fair amount to add to the park.

While we remember the thrilling moments in the films we often forget that the larger wizarding world featured a number of perfectly safe aspects. Many of those make up the larger immersion factors in the parks - the shops and Hogwarts, etc... I think if you want a Forbidden Forest ride you have a few options and none of them have to be incredibly thrilling nor do they require toddler level tameness. We could keep the Flight of the Hippogryph and make a new ride or expand the current one to fit in with a more immersive environment. There are a fair number of options going forward and I'm certain Universal is figuring it out.
Just cuz u mentioned hippo. I think we need to change the hippo seats and make them a bit bigger to make the ride for all ages. The hippo cars in USJ and USH have specifically two seated row, and the chairs look really comfortable. All we have is a small book with some fish net over the bar. The ride would be much more enjoyable with better seats.

Because there's already two thrilling major HP rides and a third with that kind of work and budget behind it that's more accessible wouldn't hurt anyone.

I agree that a tamer ride would be great in one or both of the Potter areas. HP fans range very widely in age and different backgrounds. It would be a good idea for them to add a ride that has broader appeal. A tame ride with creepy/eerie elements would be completely in theme with the books/movies and would be a nice complement to the thrill rides.

Reactions: Mike S and Frogki
Don't want to turn this into a debate over whether HE is primarily a ride or a firm of transportation from one park to the other (I think it's great as both). I'm talking preferably a high capacity dark ride with primarily physical sets, that exits into the same park.

All the rides at HP are family, which I totally agree with. But there should be diversity in the family coaster category. Hippo leans towards soft almost kiddie family attraction. If they added the cars that USJ and USH had, then I feel like more people could ride it. image.jpegimage.jpeg

FJ is more of a generic family attraction. It's in the middle of the scale between being good for like ages but the part that makes it a little intimidating are the scary parts. This attraction lies in the middle of that family attraction scale. Now, since DC is leaving I think we need a family attraction that is a little more on the thrilling side. I don't get a roller coaster feel from Gringots, so I feel like a coaster with a bunch of unique stuff in it would be great for the land. It would attract way more people than DC and it would still be for all ages. I was thinking a mummy related ride with a section where the track stops and has just landed on the whomping willow. The track could move like a kuka arm and after the whole whomping willow encounter happens, the track drops backwards as if falling. The whomping willow scene could be replaced with my basilisk concept designs, and the tree could be put in the coaster.

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.