Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think that Toon Lagoon will remain "toon" related, but will receive a major overhaul to newer IPs. I see just about everything being torn out with only Popeye surviving but being re-themed.

Another thought regarding the water rides.....Volcano Bay has all but sealed the fate of Dudley. If guests want to get wet, Universal will gladly point them in the direction of their separately ticketed water park.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I KINDA liked SLoP, but not to make an attraction out of it. And Pokemon go dosent fit (IMO) w universal. It's too Japan/anime. IOA has a very adventurous and whimsical feel to it and universal has a classic and ride the MOVIE feel. Nintendo or Pokemon don't fot any of that.

Just because it's too Japanese/Anime-esque; it doesn't mean that there isn't anything you can do for it.

Pokémon is limited in essence (not just because the IP not having many things that can work for a full on Attraction; but more of who owns the IP); but IPs like Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda; iconic video game IPs that have countless amounts of storytelling and has been in NA ever since the 1980's; people will come. Same thing for Pokémon, people WILL come and people WILL want to be experiencing the worlds of the IP's that Universal uses from Nintendo's vast array.

As for SLoP; it will never be a full island. Imagine something like Kong in this case, a transition from one area to another.

I thought we were all talking about toon lagoon being torn down ? Tearing it down and adding A secret life of pets ride (which is wt I thought) would seem weird. The thing is adding a slop ride, wouldn't u have to KEEP toon lagoon. I kinda want an entire new island to replace it

No, not exactly. Toon Lagoon has been an area where it is cartoon based (Popeye for instance, and even Dudley Do Right); as they are all for the most part, apart of Classic Media (which is being bought by Comcast alongside DWA.

And keeping in mind, Illumination and Nickelodeon has in essence, tons of cartoon IP's that Universal could use for theme park use (including one that's being use, that in which that I think will leave but I don't think it'll be gone for too long).

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Just thought of something to make the most of the space around toon lagoon..

If Universal cleared some land behind the carnival games to move the pathway further towards Popeyes', they would be able to keep the carnival games ($$), as well as have a whole lot more space for the SLoP SS. Considering we know the SLoP ride is going to be two stories, they would also have enough space for a possible meet & greet location and/or a character restaurant.

Anyone know how big the Hollywood plot is?

Area 1.72 acres

slop.jpg

EDIT: Question, is it still called a sound stage if the original build is for a ride/attraction?

Just because it's too Japanese/Anime-esque; it doesn't mean that there isn't anything you can do for it.

Pokémon is limited in essence (not just because the IP not having many things that can work for a full on Attraction; but more of who owns the IP); but IPs like Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda; iconic video game IPs that have countless amounts of storytelling and has been in NA ever since the 1980's; people will come. Same thing for Pokémon, people WILL come and people WILL want to be experiencing the worlds of the IP's that Universal uses from Nintendo's vast array.

As for SLoP; it will never be a full island. Imagine something like Kong in this case, a transition from one area to another.

No, not exactly. Toon Lagoon has been an area where it is cartoon based (Popeye for instance, and even Dudley Do Right); as they are all for the most part, apart of Classic Media (which is being bought by Comcast alongside DWA.

And keeping in mind, Illumination and Nickelodeon has in essence, tons of cartoon IP's that Universal could use for theme park use (including one that's being use, that in which that I think will leave but I don't think it'll be gone for too long).
You're talking about SpongeBob at the end there right? The store in KidZone leaving but that not being the end of him?

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
From what I can gather, people are thinking that when SLoP comes, the main retail/dining strip of Toon Lagoon will be redone away from the comic strip theme, but the areas with Popeye and Dudley will stay the same? I don't know if it's actual insiders saying this or speculation, but it makes the most sense to me.

Also, I think SpongeBob would be the perfect replacement if something were to ever go where Dudley is now. And I don't mean an overlay, I mean something completely replacing it, like a dark ride.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
From what I can gather, people are thinking that when SLoP comes, the main retail/dining strip of Toon Lagoon will be redone away from the comic strip theme, but the areas with Popeye and Dudley will stay the same? I don't know if it's actual insiders saying this or speculation, but it makes the most sense to me.

Also, I think SpongeBob would be the perfect replacement if something were to ever go where Dudley is now. And I don't mean an overlay, I mean something completely replacing it, like a dark ride.
The first thing u said about comic strip being replaced but Dudley and Popey satying, I really I agree w

if anything replaces Dudley's or Popeye's, it should be a water ride. Yes, i understand Islands has 3 water rides. However, i don't think it's fair to replace a water attraction and add a dry attraction in it's place. For example, when the Log Flume ride at Phantasialand was demolished, they replaced it with a far more modern log ride called Chiabas. I just would rather see a water ride take it's place than a family coaster or a dark ride that doesn't involve getting wet.

Reactions: Cheezbat
if anything replaces Dudley's or Popeye's, it should be a water ride. Yes, i understand Islands has 3 water rides. However, i don't think it's fair to replace a water attraction and add a dry attraction in it's place. For example, when the Log Flume ride at Phantasialand was demolished, they replaced it with a far more modern log ride called Chiabas. I just would rather see a water ride take it's place than a family coaster or a dark ride that doesn't involve getting wet.
Eh... The whole "3 water ride" thing was always one of IOA's weaknesses in the attraction lineup. If you don't want to get wet, 3 whole headliners are shut off to you. Plus, it's not like we're losing a flume ride entirely. We'd still have JPRA even if Dudley goes away. I just think a family dark ride or family coaster in Dudley's place would be much stronger and more appealing in the ride lineup IMO.

Does anyone have any insights as to whether Universal is really attached to keeping three water rides at IOA? While I enjoy each of them, I don't ride any of them 80% or 90% of the time I visit. Walking around in wet clothes and soggy shoes makes for an unpleasant day. While I don't see Jurassic Park River Adventure going anywhere since that would leave the island with no rides—I don't count Pteranodon Flyers since I don't get to ride it—I would content if the other two were replaced with rides that I will ride during most visits and will pull people in year-round.

Reactions: Joel
Eh... The whole "3 water ride" thing was always one of IOA's weaknesses in the attraction lineup. If you don't want to get wet, 3 whole headliners are shut off to you. Plus, it's not like we're losing a flume ride entirely. We'd still have JPRA even if Dudley goes away. I just think a family dark ride or family coaster in Dudley's place would be much stronger and more appealing in the ride lineup IMO.
They'd be better off bulldozing everything in Toon Lagoon sans Popeye/Sweet Haven and starting from scratch to make better use of the space.

Between the carnival games, the TL theater area, Comic Strip Lane and Dudley's huge plot, they could probably fit a family dark ride, family coaster, some sort of show, a designated M&G area for ALL the toons, a unique flat ride and an innovative/inspired QS restaurant. Give Popeye a nice refurb and the area could be a big draw (especially if SLOP and SpongeBob become the two major IP additions. Scooby-Doo would also be a good choice, too)

There's a lot of unused space in Toon Lagoon because of Dudley's fairly large plot, so there's an opportunity to significantly increase IOA's overall capacity with a TL revamp.

People always complain about getting wet until its 95 degrees out and everyone is like why isn't there more water rides blah blah blah. With the Studios having no water rides, its essentially makes sense for IOA to keep at least 3 water rides.

People always complain about getting wet until its 95 degrees out and everyone is like why isn't there more water rides blah blah blah. With the Studios having no water rides, its essentially makes sense for IOA to keep at least 3 water rides.

There are too many water rides at IoA as-is. If they replace some dead space with non-water rides it'd be fine, but right now replacing Dudley with a non-water ride wouldn't be a bad idea

This is the way to look at it: They have a SLOP ride designed and ready to go. Not the case for Pokémon. Plus, I'd rather them build a Pokémon area from scratch rather than shove it into Toon Lagoon or something.

Pokemon has the ability to tell a story with the land as does Potter.. couldnt agree more with this statement!

I think the best IPs for a Toon Lagoon makeover would be SpongeBob, SLoP, Sing (if it's a success), Madagascar, and keeping Popeye. They could theoretically find a way to make them work together, if they redesign the area and upgrade the theme a bit to be a bit Toontown-esque.

The future of Toon Lagoon needs a side entrance for those at Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls. It's been argued that a side entrance is no Bueno because they won't go through City Walk, but if they're Resort guests, they'll spend time there at some point regardless and spend money.

The future of Toon Lagoon needs a side entrance for those at Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls. It's been argued that a side entrance is no Bueno because they won't go through City Walk, but if they're Resort guests, they'll spend time there at some point regardless and spend money.

I would be down for an exit only.. That way they have to go through CityWalk to get to the parks

Reactions: Brownie54