Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Totally agree. I really liked SLOP and I think the animation and set lends itself well for a ride, but it's a little risky. I would prefer a Pokemon section because I feel there's more to do there, but a SLOP ride would be fun and any addition to the park is fine with me.

This is the way to look at it: They have a SLOP ride designed and ready to go. Not the case for Pokémon. Plus, I'd rather them build a Pokémon area from scratch rather than shove it into Toon Lagoon or something.

Haven't seen SLOP yet but I agree that it would make a great ride. Pokemon on the other hand could support a miniland if you ask me. The advantage there, as Skip mentioned, is that timing isn't as big of a deal since Pokemon isn't going anywhere. SLOP's relevance may be a bit more time sensitive, so it's time to get to building.

This is the way to look at it: They have a SLOP ride designed and ready to go. Not the case for Pokémon. Plus, I'd rather them build a Pokémon area from scratch rather than shove it into Toon Lagoon or something.

I'm not a Pokemon person but I would much rather see that whole franchise in a dedicated land in the 3rd gate. SLoP is not a dedicated land property. I can admit that however much more I love it than Pokemon.

I'm not a Pokemon person but I would much rather see that whole franchise in a dedicated land in the 3rd gate. SLoP is not a dedicated land property. I can admit that however much more I love it than Pokemon.
I saw
If it comes down to deciding between right now breaking ground on a SLoP or Pokemon attraction, it will be SLoP. They own the rights so they don't have to pay the same licensing fees as they would for Pokemon, plus they'll get a cut of merchandise sold as well instead of paying licensing fees for that. Also, SLoP is something they are interested in turning into a franchise so it makes sense to cross promote in both (or all) parks.

The Pokemon thing is big RIGHT NOW, but in a few weeks it will all go back to its past status as beloved childhood memory that became over saturated in the cultural zeitgeist. Makes much more sense to save it to be part of a new park/area than rush into something for IoA.

SLoP will continue to grow for months and years to come as kids watch it over and over again in the back of minivans and while sitting in restaurants waiting for food.
IMO Slop is kinda popular now but it won't continue being as popular like Harry Potter. I think Pokemon is pretty weird and I stood by this even when I was little, so I really don't want that to be an attraction. But they should keep Popey and Dudley. Refurbish them and keep 200ft of area of next to Dudley to at least have a TL island.

IMO Slop is kinda popular now but it won't continue being as popular like Harry Potter. I think Pokemon is pretty weird and I stood by this even when I was little, so I really don't want that to be an attraction. But they should keep Popey and Dudley. Refurbish them and keep 200ft of area of next to Dudley to at least have a TL island.
Eh, Pokemon may be weird but that's part of the charm of the series and what makes it popular. I think it'd work in an attraction.

Reactions: Mike S
I think Universal should something big with Pokémon but I don't get the sense they are in any rush to do so. The popularity of Pokemon will still be there when the next park opens.

When did the whole discussion of a SLOP and POKEMON attraction start. Why is this between just those two things. Pokemon go is part of Nintendo yes, but it's one of three "major" companies (with Nintendo being the least major company) and it's doing pretty well without it. w all the popularity it's getting, I read in another forum that Niantic wouldn't give its theme for a theme park to Nintendo. And secret life of pets isn't going to be popular in a YEAR. A small store or kiosk is probably as far as it's going THIS YEAR. There's so many other things universal has in mind to put in that area and Nintendo is 100% not going to be in iOA at all, probably in the 4th park as an optic video game ride or some nerd sh*t like that. Sry if I sound a little mad. ( I'm not)

When did the whole discussion of a SLOP and POKEMON attraction start. Why is this between just those two things. Pokemon go is part of Nintendo yes, but it's one of three "major" companies (with Nintendo being the least major company) and it's doing pretty well without it. w all the popularity it's getting, I read in another forum that Niantic wouldn't give its theme for a theme park to Nintendo. And secret life of pets isn't going to be popular in a YEAR. A small store or kiosk is probably as far as it's going THIS YEAR. There's so many other things universal has in mind to put in that area and Nintendo is 100% not going to be in iOA at all, probably in the 4th park as an optic video game ride or some nerd sh*t like that. Sry if I sound a little mad. ( I'm not)
A SLoP ride is already designed and the land is cleared at USH. It has been rumored to come to the Toon Lagoon theater for some time. The movie itself is very successful, very profitable and has a sequel coming out in 2018. It will make for a great classic dark ride.

Pokemon Go merely made people realize once again how popular Pokemon is overall. It could easily fill its own land, but if anything like that will happen it's probably going to be in the next park. Seems a shame to let something so popular go undeveloped in the parks for so long, but Universal has a lot on its plate right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel and Mike S
:fist:
A SLoP ride is already designed and the land is cleared at USH. It has been rumored to come to the Toon Lagoon theater for some time. The movie itself is very successful, very profitable and has a sequel coming out in 2018. It will make for a great classic dark ride.

Pokemon Go merely made people realize once again how popular Pokemon is overall. It could easily fill its own land, but if anything like that will happen it's probably going to be in the next park. Seems a shame to let something so popular go undeveloped in the parks for so long, but Universal has a lot on his plate right now.
I really REALLY hate the idea of any two of those things being an attraction. I judge my brother EVERYDAY for even playing that game.

There's so many other things universal has in mind to put in that area and Nintendo is 100% not going to be in iOA at all, probably in the 4th park as an optic video game ride or some nerd sh*t like that. Sry if I sound a little mad. ( I'm not)
Nintendo isn't only for nerds. The popularity and public knowledge of their huge stable of characters is second only to Disney.

Now I've really lost respect for you.
I KINDA liked SLoP, but not to make an attraction out of it. And Pokemon go dosent fit (IMO) w universal. It's too Japan/anime. IOA has a very adventurous and whimsical feel to it and universal has a classic and ride the MOVIE feel. Nintendo or Pokemon don't fot any of that.

The Toon Lagoon Theater has been sitting empty for a very long time. Better to see it filled with something, even if it's something not all of us are interested in than to let it sit any longer.
It could be torn down and add as the expansion for the new area. Toon lagoon is not wide rather it's long. IOA's attractions shouldn't be just AN attraction, it should be an ISLAND. Kong got away w it because the JP environment goes well w it's theme, but A secret life of pets ride in the theatre isn't really considered an island. It's also slightly behind marvel island, so them ring transition would be a problem.

I KINDA liked SLoP, but not to make an attraction out of it. And Pokemon go dosent fit (IMO) w universal. It's too Japan/anime. IOA has a very adventurous and whimsical feel to it and universal has a classic and ride the MOVIE feel. Nintendo or Pokemon don't fot any of that.

People seem to forget Universal owns an anime company. It fits Universal. Comics and manga go hand in hand. Its okay to have Marvel comics based area but not pokemon seems really nitpicky in my opinion. Anyways its a new attraction. I'm not going to complain because its not taking anything away to add something new even if I'm not fond of the IP. Its a cute ride that other people who I will be expeeriencing the parks with will enjoy.

It could be torn down and add as the expansion for the new area. Toon lagoon is not wide rather it's long. IOA's attractions shouldn't be just AN attraction, it should be an ISLAND. Kong got away w it because the JP environment goes well w it's theme, but A secret life of pets ride in the theatre isn't really considered an island. It's also slightly behind marvel island, so them ring transition would be a problem.
A secret life of pets ride would simply be part of Toon Lagoon, which is an island. It is called Toon Lagoon. You can put any Toons in it.

A secret life of pets ride would simply be part of Toon Lagoon, which is an island. It is called Toon Lagoon. You can put any Toons in it.
I thought we were all talking about toon lagoon being torn down ? Tearing it down and adding A secret life of pets ride (which is wt I thought) would seem weird. The thing is adding a slop ride, wouldn't u have to KEEP toon lagoon. I kinda want an entire new island to replace it

I thought we were all talking about toon lagoon being torn down ? Tearing it down and adding A secret life of pets ride (which is wt I thought) would seem weird. The thing is adding a slop ride, wouldn't u have to KEEP toon lagoon. I kinda want an entire new island to replace it
Toon Lagoon does not generate much revenue and the licenses are expiring in 2018. When Universal acquires DreamWorks they will also acquire Dudley Do-Right. Since Universal recently built a new Betty Boop gift shop it is likely they are going to try to keep at least part of the Kings feature syndicate properties, most likely Popeye and Betty Boop.

Most current speculation is on the Toon Lagoon Theater and the retail/food part of Toon Lagoon themed with the comic strip characters. The latter will either be redone or renewed in 2018.

Either way, secret life of pets was never going to take over all of Toon Lagoon.