Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

I think Dudley is more about atmosphere than show scenes. Sure, the show scenes aren't exactly impressive, but the dialogue and everything else are very funny. I feel like I'm in the cartoon when I'm on it.
The atmosphere is like moving through a warehouse full of static figures most of the time, lol. Imagine if the forbidden forest in FJ had no set dressing and just the static spiders everywhere. That’s Dudley when you’re indoors most of the time.

Making the scenes better wouldn’t remove the humor. It’ll just raise the whole experience.

The atmosphere is like moving through a warehouse full of static figures most of the time, lol. Imagine if the forbidden forest in FJ had no set dressing and just the static spiders everywhere. That’s Dudley when you’re indoors most of the time.

Making the scenes better wouldn’t remove the humor. It’ll just raise the whole experience.
Oh I'm not suggesting that I wouldn't wait a nice refresh on all of it. Just saying that I don't hate it as is.

I'll continue to stand in that humid, dark queue to get on it.

When we went on last week, the boyfriend thought it was weird that the ride had more/better figures outside than inside. Are there figures missing from the interior?

Dudley just seems so cheap to me. Kinda like they went 90% on theming and then just decided to stop in some crucial parts.

We forget that this is more or less what happened. Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls wasn't scheduled to open with the park - the goal was for it to open the following year. They worried about the opening lineup and rushed it to completion, meaning several scenes literally weren't finished.

Indeed.

Would be good if someone whose at the park could confirm either way as I’m going in November and I love that ride!

Is there any knowledge on whether Universal tried to get large comic strip properties like Garfield and Peanuts for this land? They seem like pretty big omissions but it’s not unheard of for rights holders to ask way too much for theme park or merch rights. I know Snoopy is quite synonymous with Cedar Fair nowadays but was that the case when IoA was being planned?

Is there any knowledge on whether Universal tried to get large comic strip properties like Garfield and Peanuts for this land? They seem like pretty big omissions but it’s not unheard of for rights holders to ask way too much for theme park or merch rights. I know Snoopy is quite synonymous with Cedar Fair nowadays but was that the case when IoA was being planned?

I think it's more of an issue towards rights, as you pointed out for Peanuts (Garfield has been in multiple companies hands).

It's funny, especially considering how Universal does have the theme park rights for Peanuts globally; just not for the stateside. If Cedar Fair and Knotts didn't get their hands on them, I would argue we would've seen Snoopy more integrated with Universal's parks.

Yes; there were multiple Camp Snoopys at different Cedar Fair parks, one of which did indeed exist prior to the development of Islands. As for Garfield, he and Odie are actually the mascots for a park in Idaho, of all places.

Personally, I'm quite fine with the characters we got, as they're pretty much the rest of what then populated the comic section, although as I've said, I'm a bit disappointed that action-oriented characters like Flash Gordon and The Phantom were not represented more.

Is there any knowledge on whether Universal tried to get large comic strip properties like Garfield and Peanuts for this land?
There was a concept for a Peanuts Holiday show in Cartoon World.

As for Garfield, there was nothing that I know of. However, if they could work out a deal with Viacom, they could potentially make a Garfield attraction (and a Spongebob ride as well ;)).

Nobody:

Universal Fans: Let's build a Garfield Ride
They have a Garfield dark ride at Kennywood. It may well be the worst ride in the world. :ack:..............Edit; Funny timing. I was just reading an article on Mice Chat concerning the history of Disney Dark Rides. One of the posters mentioned that this ride, now Garfield, but formerly themed as an Old Mill, is the oldest existing Dark Ride in the United States. I don't know if that's true or not, though. It was built in 1901, and was previously named The Old Mill, the Panama Canal, Hardheaded Harold's Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway ( take that Hagrid :lol:), and now Garfield's Nightmare.

Last edited:
Thinking about it more, and changing my opinion completely from other threads, Valley of Peace may fit perfectly here. Since the exclusive rights are probably for at least 4-5 years after 2021, I’m assuming Toon Lagoon will need some updating at that point. We shall see however!