Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It could very well work to their advantage if they did open two attractions. And let's not forget the new resort. King Kong, Star Trek and Sapphire Falls all in one year? It certainly would make 2016 an epic year for them if it happened.
Oddly enough, both KK and ST were already in USF.

Re: Spider-Man potentially being replaced/upgraded...

Would not Disney have to give Universal permission to use the MCU likenesses of the characters? I have not studied the contract, but I was under the belief that Universal could do what they wanted with Marvel characters, but not with the specific iterations of those characters found in the movie franchises which Disney now controls. If that is the case, why would Disney let Universal build an attraction that explicitly capitalizes on Disney's own product? And if Uni can't use those MCU versions, what would be the benefit of turning Spidey into a generic, strictly-comics-inspired Avengers attraction?

Frankly, I desperately hope that Spider-Man is in no imminent danger of getting the axe. It's my favorite ride in Orlando, and it would mark the second time that Universal has gotten rid of my then-current favorite attraction (the previous time being Kongfrontation). It would be a severely disheartening move.

Last edited:
Re: Spider-Man potentially being replaced/upgraded...

Would not Disney have to give Universal permission to use the MCU likenesses of the characters? I have not studied the contract...

There you go. See my comments before. The approval isn't a blanket "yes or no", it's based on the application of the characters. You can't have a camo pink Spider-man who's actually some other animal or something as an attraction, you have to have Spider-man. That's the approval. Universal has the upper hand with the contract.

Frankly, I desperately hope that Spider-Man is in no imminent danger of getting the axe. It's my favorite ride in Orlando, and it would mark the second time that Universal has gotten rid of my then-current favorite attraction (the previous time being Kongfrontation). It would be a severely disheartening move.

I feel very confident in saying Spider-man is not going anywhere. There is no reason for anything in IoA to be removed (except Dr Doom) due to the excess of expansion pads.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It will be cool to see the design interpretations of characters that have made big bucks in film. I would imagine they would need to be redesigned so as not to overlap?

(and on a side and out-of-the-blue note, I am sick of people pronouncing it "ekspecially" on TV and in the real world. There IS NO FRIGGIN K!")

I would just love to see Universal tackle a big space epic on the level of Diagon Alley theming, both for balance with fantasy attractions in the park, and to counter Star Wars at WDW. It's a shame the studio hasn't gotten the big screen reboot of Battlestar Galactica up and running yet. Something in tone halfway between the original series and the first reboot could potentially be very popular and make for a FANTASTIC theme park attraction, plus it's an IP that Universal owns outright.

Count me among those that is not pleased with the idea of Star Trek in the Shrek location, that doesn't seem like it would probably allow for an immersive experience like the franchise deserves.

Has anyone thought about Star Trek going into area around MIB ? Retheme MIB as a Star fleet training area.There is a lot of room behind and to the right.(where the HHN huts are)
I have no inside info it just seems to me to be enough area to build an e ticket or two, plus shops and food venues.It would be between two highly theme areas (simpsons and Diagon alley)

The more things change, the more they stay the same I see. How many times do I have to say Universal can do whatever they want (within reason) with Marvel from now until the end of time before it sinks in?

Reactions: Mad Dog
The more things change, the more they stay the same I see. How many times do I have to say Universal can do whatever they want (within reason) with Marvel from now until the end of time before it sinks in?

So your saying DC Land is replacing Marvel... Got it :thumbs:

Pretty sure it was back before IOA opened, but I once paid to make a video on the bridge of the Enterprise. They sold you a copy on VHS tape taped on a set w/ a green screen and props....it was pretty cool from what I recall...we at least had fun with it.

The Hollywood park even had a whole stage show with some of the green screen elements from the thing at the Florida park.

Has anyone thought about Star Trek going into area around MIB ? Retheme MIB as a Star fleet training area.There is a lot of room behind and to the right.(where the HHN huts are)
I have no inside info it just seems to me to be enough area to build an e ticket or two, plus shops and food venues.It would be between two highly theme areas (simpsons and Diagon alley)
Yeah, the MIB expansion pad would be a good place, but Teebin's 400 day timeline has me a bit worried.

Please remember that the 400 days is just me pulling a number out of the air based on the ST anniversary. I was shooting for a March, April, May timeframe that seemed plausible should it all come to pass.
I would think that time frame wouldn't be as important as usual new openings since Kong will be opening then, if not sooner. It may actually be more marketable to open it for the 2016 holiday season, which would give them in the vicinity of 600 days for construction. That way there will be some separation from Kong marketing.

I thought the next Star Trek movie was pushed back to a July release...so if they decide to build an attraction to coincide with the movies release, that gives them more time...of course Star Trek will probably be celebrated all year long next year so it wouldn't matter when an attraction opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.