Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Globus Mundi Store in Diagon Alley

Oh man, now that you mention it they were my favorite characters back then! Along with Harry from Harry and the Hendersons. Those were the days. Simpler times.
They were great because they had the act down pat! From the skating behind the trams, to hitting on women they absolutely understood the characters they were playing.

I’d be fine with at least getting postacards or a notecard set like this. Affordable and easy to travel home with for tourists.

View attachment 8314
Yes I got these as well & besides myself, my hubby & 5 friends requested the posters. I want one of those brooms they have in the store. I wonder if they would ever sell them or at least take orders, and then have it shipped to me saying from Globus-Mundi. I love the store even after $200 later for Xmas gifts and myself. So, request the posters and request the brooms for me please. I have a perfect spot to put it in our bar area in our house.

It sometimes blows my mind how merch management is totally off the pulse of park-goers. Disney has struggled with this too, even when I worked there, but with the revamp of WoD I think they're coming around and being more trendy. Universal still seems stuck in early 2010s mindset though, which is a bummer.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, do you mind expanding it more? Does Universal just follow the Hogsmeade model too much?

I would think 11x17 prints, like Universal sells for many of its movie posters in The Film Vault, for instance, is probably the sizing they would opt for if they go the route of mass-producing the travel posters. Easy to pack flat in luggage for long-distance travelers, too.

I think they'd fly out of the store at $15.

I saw awesome posters in Quality Quiddich, problem is they're MinaLima prints and hella expensive. I wonder if WB is a stickler about prints being from ML and any prints offered here would be expensive and provided by them. I think this is a similar reason why posters were not available on day one.

I saw awesome posters in Quality Quiddich, problem is they're MinaLima prints and hella expensive. I wonder if WB is a stickler about prints being from ML and any prints offered here would be expensive and provided by them. I think this is a similar reason why posters were not available on day one.

If WB (and/or Rowling) demand a consistency of design and aesthetic, that could be a possibility.

As much as I love Potter in the parks, I do think we've gotten to the point where we're paying not just a theme park premium on food and merch, but a "Potter Premium" even on top of that. The mindset like you describe above would certainly explain some of that.

If WB (and/or Rowling) demand a consistency of design and aesthetic, that could be a possibility.

As much as I love Potter in the parks, I do think we've gotten to the point where we're paying not just a theme park premium on food and merch, but a "Potter Premium" even on top of that. The mindset like you describe above would certainly explain some of that.

I think it's cool to get REAL PRINTS from the REAL artists used in the films. I just also think there's a demand for not that too. Sort of like replica vs authentic game day jerseys you can buy in fan shops.

I think it's cool to get REAL PRINTS from the REAL artists used in the films. I just also think there's a demand for not that too. Sort of like replica vs authentic game day jerseys you can buy in fan shops.

Absolutely. There's a market for both, and Universal should have the ability to cater to both.

I think Universal hung those pictures up purposefully, knowing they would catch people's attention and decided they would gauge interest in them adter the store opened instead of going ahead and selling them right away, just in case they weren't something people wanted.

I think Universal hung those pictures up purposefully, knowing they would catch people's attention and decided they would gauge interest in them adter the store opened instead of going ahead and selling them right away, just in case they weren't something people wanted.
Plus, it’s still early. When new stores open at the parks they usually add (and sometimes remove) items over the first few weeks.

I’m still thinking we may see something added to the outside window display too. If not an interactive wand spot, at least something that moves in the window to add to the NY diorama.

Plus, it’s still early. When new stores open at the parks they usually add (and sometimes remove) items over the first few weeks.

I’m still thinking we may see something added to the outside window display too. If not an interactive wand spot, at least something that moves in the window to add to the NY diorama.
Yes, I recall when Diagon opened, very little of the new merchandise was in the stores for sale. It slowly filtered in during the months after the opening.

The thing I really don’t understand with theme parks and printing is that it’s so easy to just print things on demand. They could have 20 of each poster printed and ready to sell and it would cost them virtually nothing compare to the sale price.

Absolutely. There's a market for both, and Universal should have the ability to cater to both.
I don’t really think it’s up to Universal. When you get into business with someone else’s IP and lifework you tend to have to do what they say.

I have heard that the company is trying to do some sort of specialty themed package postal service for merchandise that will be rolled out before the holidays in the Owl Post in Hogsmeade and a location in Diagon. When I heard about this store opening I assumed this was the Diagon location. So we may have that to look forward to.

I don’t really think it’s up to Universal. When you get into business with someone else’s IP and lifework you tend to have to do what they say.

Totally. The "should" in my original statement meant that they should be given the ability to cater to those different markets by WB/Rowling (if they don't have that ability already and are just testing the waters before acting).

I have heard that the company is trying to do some sort of specialty themed package postal service for merchandise that will be rolled out before the holidays in the Owl Post in Hogsmeade and a location in Diagon. When I heard about this store opening I assumed this was the Diagon location. So we may have that to look forward to.
Someone actually asked the TM in Globus if they had an owl post in Diagon while I was there.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, do you mind expanding it more? Does Universal just follow the Hogsmeade model too much?
I mean that Universal opens up a new store HP about travel, create cool travel posters for store decoration, yet don't initially sell them. There's a complete disconnect on Universal's part, in my opinion with the overall design and selection of their merchandise. Disney has realized what people want:

Dapper day dresses? Here's the dress shop! Home goods? Look at all of these stores we've opened! Millenials want Disney stuff, but don't want to look like a permanent tourist? Check out Disney Style. People love retro? We made a whole line of Mousketeer merch. Hey, they even reference their past attractions and general park history in some merch!

Universal lacks this diversity and variation in their product-line/ an overall willingness to be self-referential in their product. They don't really have home goods, rarely have nods to their park history, and overall still feels cheap (aside from HP and HHN merch.)

I mean that Universal opens up a new store HP about travel, create cool travel posters for store decoration, yet don't initially sell them. There's a complete disconnect on Universal's part, in my opinion with the overall design and selection of their merchandise. Disney has realized what people want:

Dapper day dresses? Here's the dress shop! Home goods? Look at all of these stores we've opened! Millenials want Disney stuff, but don't want to look like a permanent tourist? Check out Disney Style. People love retro? We made a whole line of Mousketeer merch. Hey, they even reference their past attractions and general park history in some merch!

Universal lacks this diversity and variation in their product-line/ an overall willingness to be self-referential in their product. They don't really have home goods, rarely have nods to their park history, and overall still feels cheap (aside from HP and HHN merch.)

Got you. Disney does have the wide varieties of goods down, but how many Universal lifestyles are there? How many people would buy the same home goods items Disney sells with Mickey on them? I think we're forgetting how BAD Disney merch was a decade or so ago, it's caught up to Potter and sometimes surpasses it now. I do agree that Universal could up their game.

The main gift shops have great kids tumblers with multiple IPs like Jurassic World, Simpsons, Minions etc, and some kids plates sets, and of course a wide selection of mugs, but I agree they could use some more general home goods. I do have me some JW tumblers though.

I think it’s a culture thing though. Locals tend to spend (to an absurd amount) more money at Disney regularly, so there’s a need for all the useful merch. Potter has expanded Universal into this phenomenon a little, but for the most part their goods are still sold to tourists and not locals. That’s why they tend to focus on specialized Candy and snacks for every shop, among the basic shirts, hats, etc. HHN is Universal catering to the locals a little more, and I love the Film Vault store for classic film merchandise, but you gotta admit with Potter they’re really expanding beyond their normal souvenir selection. I mean the diverse array of specialized packaging in every shop of Diagon is staggering. There’s really no other theme park land that offers that much that I can think of.

Got you. Disney does have the wide varieties of goods down, but how many Universal lifestyles are there? How many people would buy the same home goods items Disney sells with Mickey on them? I think we're forgetting how BAD Disney merch was a decade or so ago, it's caught up to Potter and sometimes surpasses it now. I do agree that Universal could up their game.
I think Universal could definitely tap the Universal fandom a little more...Obviously there resides significant difference between brands but Universal also has the burden of getting rid of nearly all of their classic attractions so heritage merch is complicated. Oh, and I totally remember when Disney merch was hot garbage. It's a complicated issue, and I do think HP is the one area where they've excelled.