Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Great Movie Ride Closing?

Its funny when you think that the GMR is the reason the park exists. It was originally a pavilion designed for EPCOT (The entertainment pavilion) and Eisner decided to counter Universal by building Disney-MGM Studios using GMR as a centerpiece

I mean, there really isn't a Mickey ride anywhere...so I suppose it wouldn't be all bad...GMR is still stuck in the MGM days
Yeah, I mean, If this was 20 years ago, i'd be torn apart hearing this. But at this point, I know WDW is never going to significantly update the ride and it's really showing it's age at this point.

So if they aren't going to update this ride, I wouldn't mind a trackless, Mickey ride. Mickey actually fit's the 1930/40's Hollywood theme fairly well too as that's when a lot of Mickey shorts and animation was being created.

Rumored ride time for this attraction is somewhere in the range of Splash Mountain. Around 9 minutes or so is what's being said. For a ride like this that what be incredibly lengthy and with the size of that show building, it's not far fetched to believe either.

Rumored ride time for this attraction is somewhere in the range of Splash Mountain. Around 9 minutes or so is what's being said. For a ride like this that what be incredibly lengthy and with the size of that show building, it's not far fetched to believe either.

This is legit the first Disney rumor I've been excited about in AGES.

Which means it probably won't happen. :lol:

This is legit the first Disney rumor I've been excited about in AGES.

Which means it probably won't happen. :lol:
I really hope it does.

I never thought i'd be rooting for something to replace GMR, but this couldn't be more of a perfect fit. I also know Disney is never going to bother to actually update the content of the GMR, so why bother caring about the attractions existence anymore?

Legit question, can the ride vehicles handle remote battery power that long?

Legit question, can the ride vehicles handle remote battery power that long?

I've been thinking about this in regards to the SW Battle attraction, and this is what I'm thinking: There will probably be at least 1-2 lengthy scenes where we're stopped in front of a screen or something to allow the vehicles to charge mid-ride.

I've been thinking about this in regards to the SW Battle attraction, and this is what I'm thinking: There will probably be at least 1-2 lengthy scenes where we're stopped in front of a screen or something to allow the vehicles to charge mid-ride.
Martin was mentioning elevator lifts as a part of the Battle attraction, too (although not a part of the Mouse ride).

I'm hoping more for the something. Please let these attractions (Battle and Mickey) be more Mystic Manor than Ratatouille!

I'm definitely excited for a Mickey Mouse ride. But since it's replacing Great Movie Ride.. at the end of the day, after Toy Story Land and Star Wars, how many attractions at DHS are we up from before? Is anyone's day at DHS going to be longer vs a couple months ago?

I'm definitely excited for a Mickey Mouse ride. But since it's replacing Great Movie Ride.. at the end of the day, after Toy Story Land and Star Wars, how many attractions at DHS are we up from before? Is anyone's day at DHS going to be longer vs a couple months ago?
Well, likely yes when you directly compare some of the replacements:

SWL - Replacing LMA/SoA. LMA had only been playing 2 shows per day for years, SoA added no value for 10 months out of the year. Very few people got enjoyment out of this side of the park. SWL is adding 2 high capacity E-tickets and an entire land that should also be an attraction to itself.

TSL - Replacing the former backlot/backlot tour area. The BLT, which has been closed for some time now, was losing popularity for years and had become a shell of itself. Personally, TSL isn't my number 1 choice I would've gone with, but more people will be likely to experience the area/rides.

Mickey - This is where it gets tricky. GMR is a people eater and usually fills up every ride, but that doesn't mean that it's always filling to it's full capacity of 2,400 per hour. On slower days, they run less vehicles, which in turn means less per hour. The highest GMR wait really ever gets is 45 mins. It's a 22 minute ride that is scoring poorly on G-Sat surveys. I think a Mickey ride that is shorter (even if still around the 7-9 minute time), will increase the number of riders in a day on the ride as it's a more appealing "modern" attraction which guests have actually come to expect more from visiting Universal.

It would be better if the Mickey ride was an actual ADDITION to the park, but as i've said, Disney obviously isn't going to update GMR, so why bother with the ride at this point? The Mickey ride could've been a nice beginning to an expanded Animation Courtyard though.

Both SWL and TSL expand the park's guest areas though, which is one of the biggest things. More places for people to walk around. Guests have never been allowed to walk around behind TSMM or on top of the LMA plot. It's mostly been for backstage or for the show.

Last edited: