Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2013 Future?

The entire bleacher set up is rented. Setup by Bigger Hammer. The tree and all set dressings are stored - you can see the frame in the warehouse pakinglot on San Fernando Road. If the vendors were told today that they had four weeks to set up they could. It isn't like they build anythng from scratch.
yes, but what if they already rented out the bleachers? i think thats what actually happened lol

Doesn't Disney have more standing space though? They tried something similar when they had the tree over the Blast Zone blimp and it was combination sitting/standing. Problem is, not many people could watch the show and the entire setup was rather uncomfortable.

Doesn't Disney have more standing space though? They tried something similar when they had the tree over the Blast Zone blimp and it was combination sitting/standing. Problem is, not many people could watch the show and the entire setup was rather uncomfortable.

Disney definitely has more standing room usually.

I'm curious what the set up will be like.
Prior to Universal Plaza opening yes. But Universal Plaza should be more sufficient to hold a large crowd. Isn't that what it was designed for in the first place?

Prior to Universal Plaza opening yes. But Universal Plaza should be more sufficient to hold a large crowd. Isn't that what it was designed for in the first place?
Yes, but Plaza's actual plans called for something a bit more elaborate than what they have setup now. There was supposed to be a semi-permanent stage (along with a few other elements) that eventually fell through.

I'm sure Plaza is fine for holding people, but I'm curious at how they have the stage setup. Tree lighting aside, will they go for the traditional approach of building a stage (similar to Spongebob) or will they go for something a bit more elaborate?

Hi All... Its been awhile. I was wondering when does USH put up their Christmas decorations? My son's birthday is next month and I would like to take him when the park is all decorated (I LOVE CHRISTMAS)!!! 

Also, are there any special little things that USH does for birthdays? 

Thanks everyone! : :)

I think they're hidden beneath some gray trap doors within the inner perimeter of Plaza. It'd be interesting to see how tall they really are.
Just to clarify something... There aren't underground truss towers that rise from the ground (like Fantasmic!), something like that would cost as much as the entire project did, not to mention probably be impossible with the soils in the area.

They are just sunken vaults with a mounting connection for vertical trusses that can be temporarily installed. (as well as cable pass through to the tech area)

Thanks everyone! : :)
There are, but it's all up to the discretion of the team member. If the park is packed, I wouldn't expect anything beyond a "happy birthday" greeting, but you never know.

There are perks, but they aren't consistent.  

Just to clarify something... There aren't underground truss towers that rise from the ground (like Fantasmic!), something like that would cost as much as the entire project did, not to mention probably be impossible with the soils in the area.

They are just sunken vaults with a mounting connection for vertical trusses that can be temporarily installed. (as well as cable pass through to the tech area)

Appreciate the correction, DarknessFills.

There are, but it's all up to the discretion of the team member. If the park is packed, I wouldn't expect anything beyond a "happy birthday" greeting, but you never know.

There are perks, but they aren't consistent.  
If you go to the park on a non-huge peak day/weekday, as long as you're wearing a birthday button expect a lotta perks. Every attraction is constantly trying to one-up each other with perks, especially for families. Behind-the-scenes tours (visits to various control rooms and backstage wings) are increasingly common, if you're into that sort of stuff.

Universal is fantastic at making your day extra special. I've gotten more special treatment from Universal employees before than I have from Disney!

Anyway, am I correct to assume that this year's event will basically be a lot simpler than years past?

Yeah, but like everyone else has said, it really depends on a lot of things. I have gotten (not really me but the birthday dude) free soda, free carnival game, unlimited Gate A to Revenge of the Mummy, Gate A to Transformers, free churros, mmm don't remember something else...

Free churros? Hmm...

I usually hate wearing any kind of marker, but if I get a free churro, I'd reconsider.

So. can we get back onto topic. I'm hopeful on grinchmas and i'm interested to see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
As posted on IU's Facebook, dates have been announced. This is on the official site:

Enjoy a helping of Wholiday cheer:

Take photos with Grinch and his dog Max and make it a Grinchmas to remember

Join the Backlot Whobilation as the Whos sing and dance though Whovile

Stand beneath the towering 60-foot Grinchmas tree and soak in the festive Park décor

So....no mention of a snow playground this year or nightly tree lighting show. Pity :( at least we still have a tree.....not much beyond that :/