Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2014

Ahaha but I'm just saying, if there's a New Years event you wanna attend and see a spectacular kick off to the new year, it should be at Disneyland or California Adventure. It's incredible and is on my bucket list.

You're packed in like a sardine can, but the party atmosphere is amazing and the firework/world of color kick off (world of color also gets fireworks that night) is worth it.

I've heard so many Grinchmas radio ads. The fact that it commences this Saturday still blows my mind.

Does anyone know if merchandise has been loaded into the gift shops yet???

USH is having a media/press event tomorrow for Grinchmas, and Annual Pass holders are allowed/"invited" to attend and view.

b3qyl5.png

They want a full audience to make it look better to the non-theme park media reporting back. By pretending it's some exclusive thing they'll drum up more interest than admitting that the celebration this year sucks again and no one cares.
Boom. Right on the money. I wouldn't go...lmfao.

In all honesty I'm still surprised that they can't make the event better in some way. Incorporate a play area/snow area in Super Silly Fun Land or put on a bigger show inside the Castle Theatre, have an indoor snow play area and more inside the Globe Theatre, etc. Idk. I just wish that they showed "hey! Doesn't matter that there's construction! We still have so much holiday fun spread over the whole park!" And if they're worried about congestion issues, spreading out Grinchmas or holiday stuff over different areas of the park would be simpler than stuffing everyone into Universal Plaza.

I would've loved to go, but they didn't give advanced notice. Bummer.

Speaking of activities in SSFL, is refurbishment over there complete yet? I'd be interested to see if there are signs of anything else in that area.

Looks like there will be fireworks for this one time show.
I was shocked to hear this.  I think there must have been a contract with NYE and since they cancelled that, they needed to use the fireworks somewhere.  I expect this to be a one time thing.

Speaking of activities in SSFL, is refurbishment over there complete yet? I'd be interested to see if there are signs of anything else in that area.
Water play area has reopened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Called it!!! Looks great! I would've been so disappointed if they didn't do anything!

Hopefully this is only the start and that eventually this will be the first USH ride to do a full Holiday overlay and they do a special ride film where Gru (as Santa) and the Minions (as Santa's elves) try to save Christmas for the girls, and wacky holiday mayhem ensues! Seems like a ridiculously natural fit!

(Hell, if they wanted to go the cheap route and not do a full new ride film, they could basically do a literal overlay of the current ride film, which already involves a present. Just add more holiday decorations and gags throughout the ride and queue and change wording from "adoption anniversary" to Christmas)

But of course I'd rather they do a full new ride film! It would pay for itself. It's Universal's biggest property, would offer a holiday overlay for a ride in the park, and they could reuse it year after year. It would essentially be a new ride vehicle program, film, and decorations. Even more simple than the overlays that Disney does, since after Universal does it one time, it'll just be saved as a new ride program in the computer.

I mean, gosh, they have a Minion Rush Holiday Lab version of the Minion game!!! There's so many possibilities with this franchise.

I can already imagine how they can further decorate SSFL. The two blue cone "hills" can get a star on top to be Christmas Trees! Etc.